Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Places to stay in Vancouver
  • kilo

Mrs Kilo and I will have six days or so, in mid- June to spend in the Vancouver area before catching a flight home. We’ll be driving from Rossland so looking for some recommendations on where to stay and what to see. Not overly fussed about biking as we’ll be coming from ST6, Mrs kilo is quite into SUP. What does stw recommend?

johndrummer
    Free Member

I stayed in The Listel hotel on Robson Street, not far from Stanley Park (which is worth a visit btw). That was 2009, don’t know if it’s still there or under another name.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Vancouver Island is nice. Good hour each way ferry crossing

Matt24k
    Free Member

Not the YMCA! Mistakenly took a recommendation from a friend as we were part of a group needing 1 nights post flight accommodation. It took me a week to feel clean again.

trail_rat
    Free Member

we stayed in someones caravan (found on Air bnb) for 2 nights prior to a cycle tour as accomodation in the city was $$$$ and not bike assembly friendly.

It was unconventional but it worked for us. may not work for most people.

jam-bo

Vancouver Island is nice. Good hour each way ferry crossing

take the sea plane…

13thfloormonk

I think Deep Cove is a good spot for SUP, a little bit out of the city (good enough bus links) and also very close to trails should you be tempted (check out ‘The Toonie Drop’ which is very close to the Quarry Roack viewpoint).

It’s the sort of place we would visit at the weekend from the city.

BearBack
    Free Member

Do you have a vehicle?
    Sunshine coast or a couple of the smaller islands off Vancouver Island if I were you as you’d probably get bored of Vancouver/ north shore pretty quickly.
    VRBO for accommodation.

petec
    Free Member

depending on the amount you want to spend (and this is from a hazy memory of 1998)

the HI was nice – walk able to the centre of town, near the beach, private rooms et al.

Probably stayed in the HI in Victoria as well. Victoria was lovely, but never seen so many Union Flags flying. Absolutely obsessed with them. Great Whale watching.

The walk around Stanley Park is nice, and the Capilano Suspension bridge. Seattle’s do-able in a day or two (or get the bus to Seattle, boat to Victoria, and then boat back to Vancouver – pleasant cruising on the Sound)

but yeah, it’s been over 20 years now. Scary

13thfloormonk

Sunshine coast or a couple of the smaller islands off Vancouver Island if I were you as you’d probably get bored of Vancouver/ north shore pretty quickly.

Weeeell…. is there any one location on the Sunshine Coast or any one small island that offers as much variety or things to do as Vancouver? I was going to start suggesting places like Tofino etc. but then remembered how quickly you can eat into your holiday time just travelling!

You could easily kill two days just messing about in the Vancouver, a couple of days doing Grouse/Lynn Valley/Capilano, even exploring the North Shore trails just on foot is quite good fun, THEN a day at Deep Cove messing about in the water, even a day trip to Squamish (have they fixed the gondola?) or even an overnighter to Whistler on the Greyhound?

I know it’s not cool to like Vancouver any more but anyone with a bit of imagination or curiosity could enjoy a good few days without getting bored I reckon.

matt_outandabout

Deep Cove

We looked there but ended up booking in Lynn Creek with AirBnB.
    Next to the park/forest and riding, near Deep Cove for a paddle, bus ride downtown.

shinton
    Free Member

I’m in the conference centre watching the sea plans take off right now. Not sure I’d fancy it today as it’s peeing down and visibility is shocking.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Places to stay in Vancouver’ is closed to new replies.