Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Places to eat and things to see in Edinbrugh
  • alex222
    Free Member

So me and my significant other (Bex) are going to Edinbrugh. I've been told about a Tai and Italian restaurant but wondered if anyone else had been to any other good restaurants in Endinbrugh. Also tourist attractions besides the castle. Places to see on the drive up from Yorkshire. All advice greatly welcomed.

Garry_Lager

Think there was an Edinburgh restaurant thread not so long back with enough recommendations for a years eating out. It really is a great city for restaurants – La Garrigue is a fine French one I've been to recently, 31 Jeffrey St, just to get the ball rolling.

It's also a great city for bevvying. I would eschew the tourism in favour of a skinful of ale at the various pubs in the centre – a fantastic way to see the city. If you like decent ale then The Cloisters by the Meadows, down from Tollcross, is a nice spot.

If you absolutely insist on going to see stuff, I would call in on Roslin chapel on the way up from Yorkshire – round the bypass a bit then down a couple of miles to the village of Roslin. I'm not usually excited by walking round historic buildings, but this one really is superb IMO.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

It's also a great city for bevvying. I would eschew the tourism in favour of a skinful of ale at the various pubs in the centre – a fantastic way to see the city. If you like decent ale then The Cloisters by the Meadows, down from Tollcross, is a nice spot.

THAT should be the entry for Edinburgh in the rough guide to Scotland. Brilliant.

italspark
    Free Member

skip the castle(its over priced and you can walk up to the door and get the view for free) and check out roslin chapel and glen, take your night lights, its dark in there! take a walk up calton hill for a top view (buffalo bill said it was the best …..honest !) plenty average curry shops. heres some of the better ones , the mosque kitchen if your on a budget and like alfresco dining. kebab mahal is the local
    legend, or ann purna for veggies, loads of great boozers down leith walk with some nice fishy food if you venture down to the shore area
    avoid rose st. and lothian road after dark (full of stag/hen nights and rugger buggers
    also check out the local listings mag "the list" for up to date stuff

ijs445ra
    Free Member

First Coast for food
    http://www.first-coast.co.uk/index.php

Caley Brewery tour
    http://www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk/home.php

and Sample rooms pub
    http://www.thecaleysampleroom.co.uk/

Hip flask and open top bus tour ?

RevWill
    Free Member

If you are going to the Caley Sample Room, walk an extra 20 metres and go to Diggers instead. 😛

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

If you are going to the Caley Sample Room, walk an extra 20 metres and go to Diggers instead.

Why? Doesnt sell food does it? I live just down the road and it never looks like a place i want to go in, even for a pint…its got the lights on full blast even at night old man theme!
    Another vote for Caley Sample Room…really good food, beers and lots of wine.

saleem
    Free Member

Places to eat..

21212 where my pal has been working, before that he was at the kitchen.

Also try Jeff Bland at number one Balmoral and Wisharts.

Karen wongs is nice too, she's mad

Swiftacular
    Free Member

alex222, sorry to butt in, but i think you may have tried to sell me a bmx a week or so ago, could you dop us a mail if im right, as you havent an address in your profile.
    Cheers

RevWill
    Free Member

First Coast was recommended for food (the service can be a bit shit if you get them on a bad night), the Caley for Beer.

The Caley is a bit (a lot) soul-less, while Diggers is on Camra's historic pub interiors, as well as doing a cracking pint and being a much more authentic pub. And you can get a pie if you really want food.

italspark
    Free Member

pickled mussels and crisps arent food ?

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

The Caley is a bit (a lot) soul-less, while Diggers is on Camra's historic pub interiors, as well as doing a cracking pint and being a much more authentic pub. And you can get a pie if you really want food.

Guess it depends on wether you want a modern pub or a ye olde world pub…caley is far from soul-less.

alex222
    Free Member

Thanks for the help guys. I have got a nice big list of places to eat. Infact maybe enough for a dinner and tea. Swift. emailed you mate.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Digger's beer MASSIVELY overated and I am in CAMRA!

Cloisters is great though and plenty other pubs with character (but few that are really cenrtal i.e. near Princes St). I'd suggest a good wander round old and new towns, Arthur's seat, Scott Monument or the similar one on Calton Hill.

I like Portobello beach but I'm baised as I live near it.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

Not got one here Alex?

alex222
    Free Member

Oh! there is an email on your profile. sent to that email address phileaton@……..?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Places to eat and things to see in Edinbrugh’ is closed to new replies.