Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)
  • pitch forks at the ready not clarkson this time.
  • Gary_C

And 180mph on any sort of public road is idiotic.

True. But on the de-restricted sections of roads on the Isle of Man, is perfectly legal.

v8ninety

So do we all agree he was stupid allegedly driving at 180mph in the location shown in this thread where he should be doing 40 mph?

IF the facts are as is being assumed, (and not on closed/unlimited roads or just ‘creative’ writing) it certainly seems ill advised.

And if proven to be true should he have a life ban?

well surely that’s up to the IOM police/judiciary.

jimjam
    Free Member

iolo – If it was Katie Hopkins driving at that speed I’m sure the response would be slightly different but as it’s “We love him and would gladly let him sleep with the wife, hell with me too”

Legal or highly illegal, at least Guy Martin has experience of traveling at those speeds on those roads. Katie Hopkins only has experience of of being a ****.

durhambiker – Member

And 180mph on any sort of public road is idiotic.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k62wzveaEYk[/video]

Cougar

Rah, a speed thread, we’ve not had one of these for at least a week. Can we just assume that for everyone who posts, everyone who drives slower than them is a dawdler and anyone faster a reckless lunatic, and skip ahead to page 23?

Anyway.

I used to work in traffic managementroad safety for a local authority. I’ve seen a 60 dropped to a 40 for no other reason than some locals thought people were speeding.

How is that supposed to work, exactly? The people who ignore speed limits because they, presumably, believe they’re too low, are they suddenly going to fall in line when the limits are even lower?

Northwind

Doing 180mph in a 40 should probably be jail. Saying you did 180mph in a 40 isn’t an offence at all, as far as I know. He’s always had a bit of a complicated relationship with the truth.

In the interests of scientific and legal fact finding, “I once did 300mph through a school.”, let’s see what happens.

Cougar

OF course, we appreciate that going slightly over the limit in a clear safe spot isn’t going to kill anyone. We get that, you don’t need to point it out.

Seems to have been a worthwhile thing to point out, I think that’s the first time I’ve seen you admit that. (-:

It’s clear we need far better training. But we still need limits, if only to encourage consistency.

We need appropriate limits, to encourage consistency and also reduce driver frustration. Not arbitrary numbers someone’s made up on the run-up to a local election.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Was the school empty ?

Cougar

In the interests of scientific and legal fact finding, “I once did 300mph through a school.”, let’s see what happens.

Then you either sneezed or did something you still need arresting for.

maxtorque

molgrips

So you’re advocating removing speed limits altogether?

Absolutely NOT!

I am advocating setting speed limits to appropriate values to suit modern driving conditions

I am advocating replacing our reliance on “machine justice” (ie speed cameras) with real police officers, who can use their judgement in individual cases, and who can give more than just a fine and some points (which lets face it, cause only resentment and little or no learning when issues by faceless arbitrary machines that only care a absolute speed and no other factor

I am advocating making the penalties for accidents caused by inappropriate speed ( and careless driving / inattention) much much more onerous, so that drivers understand their responsibilities.

I am advocating making driving a “privileged” and not a “right”. if you’re so bad at driving it takes you more than 3 attempts to pass our, frankly ridiculously easy current test, you aren’t a driver and never should be.

I am advocating having both at least 10 year mandatory retests and possibly even different “Tiers” of driving licenses

Unfortunately, none of those^^ things will happen. All of them are “difficult” politically and socially, potentially costly, and in today’s “PC WORLD” where we seem to have to be completely non-discriminatory, and allow everyone to drive,no matter how poor they are at doing so.

squirrelking
    Free Member

So you’re advocating removing speed limits altogether?

Read it again. Tell me where he said that.

I’ll save you the bother, he didn’t.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

in today’s “PC WORLD” we seem to have to be completely non-discriminatory, and allow everyone to drive,no matter how poor they are at doing so.

Sometimes we ban people for speeding.

Northwind

<edit- can’t think of any way to edit that joke to make it not horrible>

v8ninety

I once did 300mph through PC World…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Really good points well made by some users here.

However, @molgrips what about smoky bacon crisps?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I agree, but there is another factor that a lot of studies have showed is very important when assessing real risk and the influence on our choice of speed.

It’s called “progression to normality” and is a classic bit of human behavior.

In an ideal world, each and every driver would be skillful and trained enough to be able to choose a suitable speed at all moments they are driving, and hence avoid any accident that might occur.

However 2 critical factors play a major part:

1) most people are “average” drivers not expert ones.
    2) Accidents are actually very rare, on a time or miles per crash basis.

The road isn’t a track, deer, kids, other morons pull out in front of you – basically you are more at risk from an act of god on the road. Being a great driver or an average driver isn’t going to help much if your car is travelling to fast for your brain to be able to physically react in time. That’s why speed is dangerous, no one is good enough to avoid all accidents that might occur.

I am advocating replacing our reliance on “machine justice” (ie speed cameras) with real police officers, who can use their judgement in individual cases, and who can give more than just a fine and some points (which lets face it, cause only resentment and little or no learning when issues by faceless arbitrary machines that only care a absolute speed and no other factor

Nahhh, we need more automation and less humans in charge of 2-3000lb vehicles. Bring on driverless cars.

the more we treat everyone like idiots

That’s because people are idiots, remember how truly idiotic most average people are…you know….your standard Sun/Daily Mail reader….well 10 percent of the population are even worse having an IQ below 85. Let’s not even mention the high IQ types who are either lacking common sense or fine motor skills – 90 percent of drivers are not fit to drive and their accident rates will dwarf those of computer driven cars in 20 years.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cougar, that was part of my point. I’m not suggesting we can trust people. My comments were in response to someone who mentioned things that influence speed limits. The truth is, the system we have is flawed, however no one is proposing a viable alternative.

Silly stuff like in my example actually harms the validity of speed limits. If they don’t make sense, people lose trust in the system, not just at that specific location but in general.

Given the mileage I now do in a year and how critical it is for my job, I don’t risk the wrath of the cameras, despite the fact that our site response times are measured to the nearest minute!

hora
    Free Member

Jimjam he races on closed circuits where riders/spectators know the risks and marshals are about to warn of hazzards.

Just thought I’d point that out.

Theres a dual carriageway near me- armco in the centre and its a 40 limit.

The max that Ive seen down there is 70ish.

jimjam
    Free Member

hora – Member

Jimjam he races on closed circuits where riders/spectators know the risks and marshals are about to warn of hazzards.

Just thought I’d point that out.

Yes, and if he’s actually done 180mph in a 40 zone he should lose his licence and probably be banned for life. To a person who’s used to doing 160+ on a crotch rocket 180 in an Aston is probably pretty wee buns though.

molgrips
    Free Member

me where he said that.

I’ll save you the bother, he didn’t

I know, that’s why I asked for clarification since it seemed to be the logical conclusion of his argument. If he is arguing for different speed limits, then that won’t change the situation he describes.

Trying to have a proper discussion here not a rhetorical bitch-fest.

hora
    Free Member

Hes NOT been caught.

So no ban.

However hes sped on a public road and admitted as much. I wonder if the stw fanboiz will now disown him?

HOWEVER the beeb again reporting. Flat out? Does that really mean 180 in a car round there? Hes good on a bike but in a car. I imagine flat out was a tongue in cheek description.

Drac

Well according to him he was doing 180mph.

The 33-year-old wrote in the Sunday Times Driving section: ‘I saw 180mph down Sulby Straight, one of the fastest sections on the TT course, and the car wasn’t even in top gear.’

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news–general-news/guy-martin-in-police-probe-after-admitting-to-180mph-speeds-on-public-roads/26568.html#ixzz3XvQLxpr0

soulwood
    Free Member

What if….he wasn’t telling the truth. It’s certainly what I’d be telling the Inspector of IOM when he comes enquiring. Maybe it’s a garnished tale, you know the kind of tale that guys tell.

bikebouy
    Free Member

He’s a huge Tit.

Anyone who speeds through Town is a Tit.

I saw a Woman on her phone yesterday whilst riding around Town on my bike, hugely crowded Spitalfields, queues of cars, hundreds of people walking and hundreds on bikes.
    Still she thought she was above any safety for other road/pedestrians and really CGAS about anyone else, thats what I think about Guy in this instance, he really couldn’t GAS about anyone else.

Tit.

jimjam
    Free Member

hora

HOWEVER the beeb again reporting. Flat out? Does that really mean 180 in a car round there? Hes good on a bike but in a car. I imagine flat out was a tongue in cheek description.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxaGtNGPYPo[/video]

Stock Scooby STI gets 166 so it seems plausible.

grenosteve
    Free Member

I like Guy, but what he’s done (or not done, maybe) is fairly wrong in my book! 180 on any public road is madness, and if he gets caught, it should be jail time.

I don’t think you could(or should) do 180 on open bits of the isle without getting a talking to from the plod. The limit is the limit, not the safe speed at which you can drive that section of road, and 180 is dangerous driving no matter if the road has a limit or not!

You don’t have a human right to drive a car, it a privilege, and one you have provided you’re trained adequately and follow the rules of the road (highway code). Regardless of how the limit was set, you have to follow it. Don’t and your in the wrong*! Simples!

(*try arguing in court that the limit was too low, and see where that gets you!)

Drac

What if….he wasn’t telling the truth. It’s certainly what I’d be telling the Inspector of IOM when he comes enquiring. Maybe it’s a garnished tale, you know the kind of tale that guys tell.

Ah! The Edinburgh defence.

oldbloke
    Free Member

I find it really odd to be agreeing with both Molgrips and Maxtorque – how is that possible?

I am advocating setting speed limits to appropriate values to suit modern driving conditions

Currently Edinburgh is trying to roll out almost blanket 20mph limits. I live in one of the early trial areas and whilst some streets make sense and see that limit stuck to, others do not and even the Police pay no attention to it.

Out of interest, how many of those on this thread have driven the TT circuit? I’ve probably done 30+ laps and 180 anywhere without the roads being closed and marshalled is lunacy. There is just too much objective danger. Mr Martin is a pillock.

hora
    Free Member

No never. Ever. Even racing drivers, Police response, etc make mistakes. Ontop of this I don’t trust anyone to be able to drive safely at speed on any road.

Ontop of driver error you’ll always have mechanical failure too.

Please feel free to speed on close-circuits/public roads and race tracks but not NOT on the same roads that I cycle, drive, cross, visit or leave near to.

sobriety
    Free Member

I didn’t think you could get points on your license for speeding in the IoM, just epic fines.

Edit: You can get banned, though.

hora
    Free Member

He could go and talk to the Prosecutor- they wont understand a word hes saying (as I don’t) so might let him off 😆 :mrgreen:

Matt24k
    Free Member

Wow, some of you fellas are really getting your knickers in a twist about a “story” in a newspaper. When I were a lad every one claimed that their moped did 70mph on the flat but we all knew it wasn’t really true.
    Until there is some actual evidence of the actual speed, on the actual road rather than just a newspaper piece can I suggest that people stop foaming at the mouth?

maxtorque

Calm down dear!

I’m not advocating setting the motorway speed limit to 250 mph, i’m talking about being reasonable and sensible.

So hows about oh, lets say 85mph, a speed at which most of europe already drives legally, a speed at which a huge majority of uk drivers already drive illegally, a speed at which a modern car is completely and utterly unstressed.

hora I don’t trust anyone to be able to drive safely at speed on any road.

What sort of ridiculous clap trap is this^^^^ Are you suggesting we make the speed limit zero mph because drivers are poor?

“at speed” means nothing.

I’ ve driven at 223mph, i’ve spun a car 14 times at 160mph on ice, i’ve overtaken a police car doing 150mph, i’ve had a tyre fail at 170mph. I’ve driven cars at 100mph, sideways between trees on mud and gravel.

But I’ve also sat at zero mph for hrs in traffic jams, sat behind people incapable of overtaking a tractor (doing 15mph), and people who run cyclists and other road users clean off the road due to inattention, even at 12mph.

And in 25 years of driving, i’ve crashed precisely zero times (on the public road)

So how fast do you think it is safe for me to drive on the motorway? 30, 40,50,60,70 or 85 mph??

That is the point really. Arbitrary speed limits should be set sensibly and enforced (rather than ignored as is the current uk motorway situation, where even the traffic police say “you’re ok up to about 85 in good conditions”).

Right now we have a balmy legal situation where we are effectively saying to drivers, “It’s OK to speed and break the law on Motorways” but not anywhere else?

That’s a bit like it’s fine to stab someone to death on Thursday, but you’d get locked up for doing it on Tuesday………

No wonder drivers are increasingly ignoring the lower limits where it REALLY matters (rather than the arbitrary lower limits put in place to make politicians and civil servants happy)

Northwind

I think I know what you mean, Hora, but you did just say “Down with appropriate speed limits!”.

hora
    Free Member

I refer you to

drive safely at speed

AT speed.

I’ ve driven at 223mph, i’ve spun a car 14 times at 160mph on ice, i’ve overtaken a police car doing 150mph, i’ve had a tyre fail at 170mph. I’ve driven cars at 100mph, sideways between trees on mud and gravel.

So the salesman from Basildon in his company A4, Tim from Edinburgh and Jane from Croydon can all drive at 3x etc the speed limit if its dry, sunny and quiet?

How do you trust their ability, their judgement, their hydration on the day? Or do you propose road super licences?

I don’t trust anyone. Sorry. Keep the limits low- it protects the majority against themselves.

For the record I too like speed where its appropriate but I’ve always said this: I trust my driving, I don’t trust others driving.

yunki
    Free Member

Is there any way we can sort of…. weed out the petrol heads and boyracer apologists from the forum..?

Massive bans, or perhaps arrange a sham group ride for ‘motoring enthusiasts’ and then round ’em up and bury them in a big pit of boiling tar..?
    These muppets that seem to think our public roads are playgrounds for their boyhood dreams turn my **** stomach

(FWIW I’m not a Guy Martin fan but this I reckon this story is probably total bollocks)

allthepies
    Free Member

You are the Stig’s fantasist cousin and I claim my steak and chips.

Edit: Reminded me of this

hora
    Free Member

genius, I was just thinking the same 😆

martinhutch

I’ ve driven at 223mph, i’ve spun a car 14 times at 160mph on ice, i’ve overtaken a police car doing 150mph, i’ve had a tyre fail at 170mph. I’ve driven cars at 100mph, sideways between trees on mud and gravel. I’ve… seen things you people wouldn’t believe… Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like tears… in… rain. Time… to die…

Damn! too slow!

jimjam
    Free Member

hora
    So the salesman from Basildon in his company A4, Tim from Edinburgh and Jane from Croydon can all drive at 3x etc the speed limit if its dry, sunny and quiet?

How do you trust their ability, their judgement, their hydration on the day? Or do you propose road super licences?

How do they do this in Germany?

bikebouy
    Free Member

“But I’ve done… But I’ve driven at…. I’m still alive so I’m fine… No one died… “

BlahdeflippinBlah.

Hooray for you…

What a twunt.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 179 total)

The topic ‘pitch forks at the ready not clarkson this time.’ is closed to new replies.