Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Pipedream Sirius S5 anyone actually got one?
  • jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Hello all.

Has anyone actually got one?

The website is a bit patchy on details – what is the seat post diameter? Are they a boat anchor? Is the silver fox like Philip Schofield or shiny?

cloggy

How are you supposed to work out the seat angle with a bent seat tube?

tomtomr

Seat post size is on the technical info pdf, it 31.6mm. Can’t help with the other questions though

Tom

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Huh. Thank you and apologies, I’ve been impatient as they’ve updated the website by the looks of it.

Flat cap green is definitely flat cap green from ST and their own website.

Would still be good to get a frame weight, they seem understandably super busy as I’ve not been able to get through.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They must be fairly lightweight – theres a 100kg total rider weight limit.

I’m dangerously close to that with standard ride gear.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Maybe, though the Moxie has the same limit right?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I dont know. I just read it at the bottom of the Sirius page.

cloggy

Looking at the chainstay bridge I’d expect them to come in just under 3 kg

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Hmm. Near enough what the bloke at Stif said for the Squatch frame. Very tempted by the Squatch in the bone colourway…

eddie11
    Free Member

What do people think that seat angle really is? Might be 77.5 to seatclamp but must be 3-4 degrees slacker at full extension?

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Would think so, though it’ll steepen as the fork sags being a hardtail so perhaps not too far off that.
    The Squatch is 78 degrees at full extension, so will only get steeper.

squirrelking
    Free Member

They’ve only just posted a build on their Insta yesterday so I doubt there are many in the wild yet.

matt_outandabout

Can anyone explain why the frames have same length headtube and chainstay’s across sizes?

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

I cannot explain that – though guessing about the chainstays, the designers wanted something specific from the ride. And, of course, they are variable from 425 – 441mm.

Spoke to their office today. The tubes from the seatpost back of the bike are the same as the Moxie. The downtube and toptube are slimmer, they’ve dropped a gauge down respectively from the Moxie. They’re also quad-butted rather than triple-butted. So the frame will be lighter, though they’re not sure quite by how much. Scales arriving this afternoon so expect something on the website.

Also, more frames on a boat which will be available in 3 – 4 weeks.

inbred853

Oh so tempted, looking for a hardtail to replace my Salsa El Mariachi, single speedable, dropper post routing, longer and slacker…………….boost spacing, I’m oot!
    The search continues, I might take a look at custom build, possibly Marino.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Ah man…. My el mariachi is still my favourite bike I’ve owned. It was nicked (whyIoughta) otherwise I’d still have it. Wish that Salsa still made them.

I’ve got a Genesis Fortitude I’m similarly tempted to replace (and probably regret), plus a Cotic FlareMax frame I’m going to shift (and probably regret).

inbred853

jimmiyjuju, Would have bought the Sirius if it wasn’t for the boost spacing, both my wheelsets are for 135/142.
    El Mar is a cracking bike, on my second frame now, just after something a bit slacker/longer.
    Might try fiddling with the Marino site and see how much one of there frames costs.

drewd

@inbred853 If it’s just the boost spacing that’s putting you off but your existing wheelsets are thru axle why not just use boost adapters?

I get that it’s not the nicest solution but if that’s the only thing you dislike about the frame I’d give it some consideration.

Shackleton

Agreed, you will struggle finding modern geo with “old” standards off the shelf. I bought a sherpa and put my old hope pro2 evo wheels on. Used hope adaptors and took about 10 minutes to sort with a spoke key.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Was thinking the same, adapt the wheels and give me the el mar.
    Well almost the same…

inbred853

jimmiyjuju, we’ll see 🤣🤣 it’s a 15.5″ btw and yes I’m a short arse.

Do you not have to re-dish the wheels and faff about with disc rotor spacing or is it a simple adapter swap for 135/142 to 148🤔.

drewd

There are different kits available depending on your hubs. I’m running a generic kit with an axle spacer on each side of the hub plus a disc spacer up front and a 6mm spacer and disc spacer at the rear. I did redish the rear wheel to keep the cassette in the correct position but it’s only 3mm.

If there are end caps available for your hubs you probably won’t need the extra spacers. The cheap kits I used came with longer disc bolts too.

thelooseone

The stack does see very low on the Sirius (586 mm), which is the same for all 3 sizes due to the same head tube length being used. Looking at similar types of frames, none go below 600 mm stack even on the smallest sizes. Why is the stack so low on the Sirius? The low stack is probably OK on the smallest size but doesn’t appear to make sense on the 2 bigger sizes.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

The geometry is based on 485mm a2c fork, probably explains it. Their CrMo fork option is around that length but most 120mm suspension forks will be longer.

That info is hidden in the FAQ section, probably should be on the geometry table to be clear.

inbred853

@drewd, thanks for the info, to much faff for me though. I’ll continue to look for a frame with 142 x 12 back end.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Pre-ordered a frame in Longer. Look forward to riding the bike early December.

Mate of mine also pointed out the geometry measurements were essentially based on the 100mm suspension-corrected rigid fork. The website really should be clearer.

inbred853

@jimmyjuju, don’t look there is a medium El Mar on the bay at the mo.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Then I will not look.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

Mine arrived yesterday, long silver fox. The frame is a work of art, lovely paint and looks mint without the gussets. Frame with all the hardware comes in at around 6.5lbs.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

The geometry is pretty wild, I’ll be running a SID 120 (35mm), will post full build pics and ride report later.

Using the geo calculator, and website geometry being based on a 485mm a2c fork, the SID (531mm a2c) comes in at 63° HA unsagged and 64° sagged at 20%! That’s 2 degrees slacker than the 140mm travel 2017 BFe 650b it’s replacing.

UNSAGGED

SAGGED 20%

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Really like the look of these but seem tiny to someone 6’2″ and 34″ inside leg?
    Used to riding something with a 21″ seattube.
    Spose it gives you scope for fitting a 180 or 200mm dropper?
    Be interested to see a tall guy with one and their verdict.
    Thanks,
    Max.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Thanks @Yorkshireripper. Frame looks spot on.
    Look forward to more pics and ride report when you can manage them.

Jimmy

Shackleton

The geometry is pretty wild, I’ll be running a SID 120 (35mm), will post full build pics and ride report later.

Using the geo calculator, and website geometry being based on a 485mm a2c fork, the SID (531mm a2c) comes in at 63° HA unsagged and 64° sagged at 20%! That’s 2 degrees slacker than the 140mm travel 2017 BFe 650b it’s replacing.

I suspect that the faq refers to the old sirius. Below the geo table it says: “Will it work with a 130mm 29er fork? Yes, but it’ll raise the BB and shorten the reach by approximately 5mm and slacken the head and seat angles by approximately 0.5°.”

Suggests to me that the table is for a 120mm fork if you go by the 10mm = 0.5° approximation. Whether this is a sagged fork or not isn’t mentioned but I’m going to guess that the 64mm BB drop suggests sagged.

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

It’s hard to say on the geo, website could be more clear. Cotic have this spot on in my view, they tell you that the measurements are sagged (which makes sense with a hardtail) and you can toggle the travel to see what the difference is with each fork.

I wanted a 29er hardtail to replace my 650b BFe, which up until the Sirius was the best hardtail I’d owned. The BFe was the hardtail equivalent of my enduro bike, pretty much same geometry and parts which was good for crossover, but I wanted something that I could do the odd XC/endurance type event on and 29 makes sense for this. I still wanted something slack enough for the steeps so I was set on a SolarisMAX but was put off my the long chainstays and tank like ride reports on the forums. I then started looking at the Sherpa but when the Sirius popped up the geo looked exactly what I was looking for. Added bonus of being able to tune the chainstay to tyre size and also run singlespeed. I ran it at 430mm chainstay which with a 2.3 Maxxis Aggressor gave sufficient tyre clearance with no rub on a 23mm rim.

The fit for me at 173cm was spot on, pedals nice with the steep seat tube angle, I ran with a 40mm stem, could maybe go to 50mm. The front end is fairly low but with 20mm rise bars was OK, I could maybe go to 30mm rise, I was a little over zealous with the steerer tube cut. It looks and feels slack when you sit on it, but when I rode it I felt right at home coming off the BFe. It’s my first 29er so that needs to be factored in, but it was a super smooth ride. I took it to Gisburn for some hardpack and it was the first time I’d ridden there on a hardtail where I didn’t want to quit mountain biking afterwords. There are some fun bits, but a lot of it is a rough old slog. It was great in the swoopy stuff, felt like a 29er when it needed to be but was super nimble in the tight trees which I was surprised by. I built it up with a mix of parts off the BFe, some WTB i23 on Hope wheels I picked up cheap from Stif and a winter throwaway SX drivetrain which weighs a tonne. I swear that cassette is like 2lbs. Its built to survive a Yorkshire winter but could be lightened up. The SID is amazing, didn’t feel the need for any more travel, but there are probably stiffer options out there.

Anyway, I love the bike, looks sweet and have a new chainstay protector in the post 🙂

matt_outandabout

That looks purdy. 😎

bajsyckel

Lovely. Been pondering a singlespeed 29er with modernish geometry and considering this versus the Stanton Sherpa as realistic options, so great to see some images.

ahsat

Very nice. If i hadn’t already ordered a Sherpa, this would be a serious contender. I’m also building around the new SIDs – pleased to hear you like them.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Great to hear, thank you for the write up. Bike looks sweet in silver! Looking forward to seeing the spangly black version in the flesh…

bajsyckel

Just bumping this thread to see how you’re getting on with the bike @YorkshireRipper? Still idly considering a build on one of these some time this year…

mccraque

Frame with all the hardware comes in at around 6.5lbs.

Looks fantastic…what’s included within that hardwear figure? Just bottle bosses and a seat clamp? or headset?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.