Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pinned collarbone
  • onehundredthidiot

So hopefully OH is having her collarbone plated back together. How long before she has movement? Eg making my dinner, doing the ironing etc.

Really she wants to get back on her bike, notice phil dowsett was back on within a week.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I had full range of movement immediately but no strength and it was tender.

Took about 2-3 months until it felt normal again but was capable of easy exercise earlier on.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

3-4 months here, but had wrist plated as well.

Full movement within a week of op but zero strength.

boblo
    Free Member

I was road riding within a week and touring mit tandem in 4. Tell her to gerron with it 🙂

steveh

I’ve not had them plated but 2 serious multi piece breaks, went to see these guys http://www.physioclinic.net 1 week after the break and had decent movement straight away after. Was back on a bike on the road in under 3 weeks.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

No, no, no and no. The two of you are complete liabilities on bikes, and it’s mostly your fault.

pinkwafer

I had mine done two years ago. It will likely be bruised and painful for 1-2 weeks. I was out of the sling in 3-4 weeks doing very light activities with the arm but was instructed no movement above 90 degrees flexion before 6 weeks. The reason for this as there is a torsional stress on the clavicle when the arm goes above 90 degrees which can dislodge locking plates. Even if the repair feels good at the 6 week stage, be guided by what your orthopod says at the clinic review and your physiotherapist.

antennae
    Free Member

As pinkwafer says, doc told me to steer clear of proper bike antics for 6 weeks minimum. I just worked hard at the physio and did some turbo spinning to keep the legs going. Took a little while to get shoulder strength back but it feels ace now.

boblo
    Free Member

The main problem was getting sensation back. Took a couple of years before I had full feeling in that area again.

jimw
    Free Member

I was riding on the road after 8 weeks, Off road in 12.
    Mine took longer because
    a, I am old and apparently this makes a difference in how long it takes to knit
    B. The plating was done 18 months after the original break-I had a complete non union so this also affected rate of new bone growth
    As boblo says, it takes a while to get sensation in the skin area round the scar

jairaj

I had my collar bone plated about 2 years ago. It felt sore for one or weeks but I could move it slowly without too much trouble, much much better than when it was not plated. I think I was told not to move it at all and keep it in the sling for first couple weeks so didn’t move it but could if I wanted.

I think physio allowed some movement after that and possibly full range after 6 weeks. Although that was without any weight or strain on the shoulder. I could get on with everyday stuff after 4 to 6 weeks. I think it was probably 10 weeks before I could start to do any real exercise and about 14 weeks before I was given free reign and allowed to cycle again.

Took a couple of years before I had full feeling in that area again.

Took about a year before I got most the feeling back, its still not fully there but not too bad. In the early days I used stand in front of the mirror poking it with my other hand. It was a weird sensation because the finger could feel it was touching something but the shoulder didn’t feel anything. Its weird feeling when you can’t feel your own body touching it self.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pinned collarbone’ is closed to new replies.