Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PIKE? Or other fork?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tried a pair the other week and loved 'em, not quite as plush as my menja's, but not as divey either, which made pumping a litle harder, but I can probably dial that out with the motion controll and if needs be some shims.

Question is, they're not exactly light are they? Will RS's replacements be any better next year? I don't think I'm close to breaking the menjas, so do I really want a "freeride" fork form the days when 6" bikes were for hucking? Even the lightweight dual air, hollow crown, alloy steerer'd fork is adding a lb onto the weight of the menja's which was definately noticable!

GW
    Free Member

you're pumping all wrong if you think fork dive is a good thing.

and where exactly are you going to put some shims?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some rigids if you like pumping

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because you can't preload a fork into something if its damping is designed to prevent that king of fequency input from having an effect.

The MC spring is just a blow off valve, so you increace the pressure untill it opens up the port ad lets oil through. Wind it off completely and you've got no damping. The 'blackbox' part of the MC dampers that have it is a HSC shim damper inside the MC unit, so from what I've read the tuning options are pretty open.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Get some rigids if you like pumping

Got the BMX for that 😀

retro83
    Free Member

Pikes don't have shims in the damper.
    Once the floodgate has activated it is effectively fully open

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I loved my Pike when I had it but looking at the development of this fork (or lack thereof) over recent years, I'm fairly confident they're going to drop it in the next year or so.

I changed mine for a TALAS 32 a couple of months back. 800gr was the difference, which is rather a lot

I'd go for a revelation or a TALAS personally. Vanilla if you don't mind fixed travel

poppa
    Free Member

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but have you thought about a set of Revelations? Lighter than the Pikes, but still quite burly.

retro83
    Free Member

That's what i'm going to be doing i think poppa. I can drop almost a kilo and gain the blackbox damper in the process.

I also think they're going to drop the pike, maybe to replace it with the sektor..?

this_wreckage
    Free Member

I've got a set of Rev's and they are a terrific fork; pretty light and fairly plush for air sprung. Definitely not as plush as the Fox Vanilla 130 I had on the last bike but quite a lot lighter (Last bike was hardtail and new one is full sus so wanted to shave weight somewhere). Vanilla is a fantastic fork for both performance and value IME.

S.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PIKE? Or other fork?’ is closed to new replies.