Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Picture frames
  • kelron
    Free Member

Looking for a recommendation for where to order some picture frames. I see a lot of websites but not sure what the quality will be like. The pictures don’t have any value so I don’t want to spend a fortune on professional framing.

Do I need anything in particular to properly mount a large oil painting? 30×20″ board.

grum
    Free Member

Personally I’d say it’s worth at least getting the pictures mounted professionally. Then frames from Ikea or The Range are ok if you’re not looking to spend much.

blokeuptheroad

My wife runs a small art business. She sells mounted and framed prints of her own work. She buys frames from the Range, they are good quality and very reasonably priced. The prints are properly card mounted first before framing and she tapes the back and adds hanging wire etc so they do look spot on. She has in the past paid much, much more for professional framing (and still does for originals) but tbh most people buying prints can’t tell the difference.

dc1988

I would say the value of the pictures is irrelevant as the value of art is largely subjective anyway, if you like the art and plan to keep it for a long time then going to a progressional is worth it imo. A proper framery will have loads of options and offer advice on what will work best to complement the art which you don’t get with online or from The Range.

This is coming from a cheapskate who recently got a painting properly framed and it is much better than anything off the shelf.

rossburton
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of the Ikea LOMVIKEN frames. They’re solid metal, have a cool inset at the back, and the fittings are not really frustrating or painful to use.

maccruiskeen

If its on board (depending on how thick ‘board’ is then many off the peg frames won’t really accommodate it  – they’re glazed and only really have room for paper / mounting card behind the glass

kelron
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll find out how much having it framed properly will cost.

I don’t think off the shelf frames will work but there’s sites that do cheap custom frames.

desperatebicycle

Recommended by a friend –
    https://www.frames.co.uk/ they do custom size.
    I got mine from ebay cos I’m a skinflint.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Picture frames’ is closed to new replies.