• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Phone got ran over by a car… will the Li-ion explode my nuts off???
  • DrP

Catastrophic morning!!!
    Running late for school run..kids NOT helping..forgot it’s mufti day (not for me..for the eldest!)

Phone fell out of my pocket as I was riding the cargo bike (with youngest on teh back)…thankfully a car stopped..and the phone was fine…

I popped it in my bag and carried on…

Realised it’s ruddy mufti right outside his scool, so we rang his mum (who lives near the school) to ask if he can put on clothes there..)
    Popped phone in pocket…and it fell right out again…
    Car ran over it – front screen fine, but the rear cracked like an egg!

It’s got a soft spot where the glass is REALLY cracked (where the garmin mount sticker is)…

It’s all working, and i’ll replace the back myself.

But…reckon if the battery was damaged it would have burnt up there and then?

It’s quite a focal spot of damage..

I THINK (/hope) it’s fine, but…. I don’t want it kaploding my nuts off!!

DrP

EDIT – MUFTI day is a Southern thing it seems! It’s “wear your own clothes” day!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I THINK (/hope) it’s fine, but…. I don’t want it kaploding my nuts off!!

Simple solution. Get one of the kids to carry it.

Realised it’s ruddy mufti right outside his scool, so we rang his mum (who lives near the school) to ask if he can put on clothes there..)

Isn’t it a bit insensitive in this day and age to have kids dressing up as religious leaders from other cultures?

scruff9252

What’s a Mufti day?

Phone will probably be fine, but wouldn’t be putting in front pocket of my jeans just to be sure. Alternatively consider the risk of only being a “free but a bit burny” version of the snip…

DrP

Simple solution. Get one of the kids to carry it.

The irony being i’ve got a vasectomy booked for next week!!! So maybe I jsut deal with teh desired consequences if it DOES flash burn my balls off!

DrP

Drac

What’s a Mufti day?

A really old phrase for non uniform day.

If the screen isn’t cracked I doubt the battery is damaged.

Flaperon

Lithium ion batteries fail explosively. Up to you if you want it in your pocket or house when that happens.

grum
    Free Member

We had mufti day at my school in Cumbria also.

fossy

I’d prefer setting my nuts on fire than getting the snip again. Never again. Follow on surgery, two additional procedures, and still in pain 9 years later, and testosterone replacement due to the damage. I hope you’ve looked up PVPS.

Pass me your knackered phone and I’d be happy to burn mine off (really).

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Get one of the kids to carry it.

The irony being i’ve got a vasectomy booked for next week!!!

You know it doesn’t work like that right.

Door. Bolted. Horse. After. Locking. The. The.

DrP

!!!

Annoyingly, the screen, though intack, has a ‘bulge’ in teh bottom of it!!!

I think when i get the new rear cover, i’ll try to (Gently) lay it between heavy books to stabilise things out and get rid of the bulge!!!

DrP

tomparkin

Lithium ion batteries fail explosively

Good grief, that video.

*Pokes battery with skewer*

*Battery explodes impressively*

Bloke 1: “Cor, *** hell, did you see that? Don’t poke it!”

Bloke 2: “I missed that…”

Bloke 1: “Cor, look at that…. shall we do another one?”

Bloke 2: “Yeah, I didn’t see that”

*Holding battery in bare hands*

Bloke 1: “We have…. the other one. I’m a bit reluctant to bend it about in my hand…”

*Bends battery vigorously back and forth*

Bloke 2: “I’m dubious of you doing that. You could lose your *** hand”

Bloke 1: “I know! Goes quick, dunnit…?”

How these folks have actual hands left is difficult to comprehend.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve had a phone fail explosively. It tried to set my office on fire and did a pretty good job of melting my desk. The first sign was the back cover not staying on (this was when phones had replaceable batteries) which in retrospect was probably due to the battery swelling.

thepurist

i’ll try to (Gently) lay it between heavy books to stabilise things out and get rid of the bulge!!!

We’re still talking about the phone here???

franksinatra

I’d prefer setting my nuts on fire than getting the snip again. Never again. Follow on surgery, two additional procedures, and still in pain 9 years later, and testosterone replacement due to the damage. I hope you’ve looked up PVPS.

As an aside to that, my experience was that of a nice day out of the house. They washed my plums with warm soapy water which was quite pleasant. I knew most of the theatre team so had a good catch up chat with them whilst they were at work. Got a bit of sympathy at home, rode the Puffer a few days later. Quickly tested the tubes and all firing well, blanks but fine.

DrP, you need a tactical harness for your phone

Greybeard
    Free Member

the screen, though intack, has a ‘bulge’ in teh bottom of it

Seriously, I would check where the battery is.

tthew

I’d not leave it unattended or in a sensative place while charging for a couple of cycles. In fact I’d be very wary of it in general.

DrP

i’m going to take the back off to replace it… looking online the battery sits just behind the rear glass, so can inspect it then.

Gonna stick it on to charge now and see if I die…

DrP

fasthaggis

Hand it in at a phone repair shop.
    Then wait to see if they scream and kick it back to you across the floor.

fasthaggis

i’m going to take the back off to replace it… looking online the battery sits just behind the rear glass, so can inspect it then.

👀
    #prayforDrP

timmys

Are Lithium polymer (LiPo) and Lithium ion the same thing? I had thought slightly scary LiPo’s where not what I was carrying around in my pocket every day, but perhaps I’m blissfully ignorant!

midlifecrashes

Dude, if you’re ordering a new screen, order a new battery too. And video livestream your handiwork too.

Flaperon

Lithium ion polymer is a subset of all lithium ion batteries.

franksinatra

There are some things that is well worth paying other people to do

House removals
    Clearing dogs anal glands
    Making quiche
    Replacing highly dangerous, expensive batteries that will explode in your face

andytherocketeer

lol @ the photoninduction vid
    he’s almost a neigbour of mine back home (fortunately I come from just slightly far enough away)

It’s not the instant explosion ones to be afraid of, but the delayed effect ones that’ll get you just when you think it’s an anticlimax…

Drac

So we’ve learnt from the videos is. You’ll be fine unless you have a really pointy penis.

avdave2

We’ve had two recycling trucks on fire in the last month from people putting batteries in the recycling. Not really ideal crushing one in a big box full of paper and cardboard.

espressoal
    Free Member

I didn’t understand much of that but from what I could gather a shirt with zip pockets would be a good place to start, then a new phone.

rsl1
    Free Member

Probably a bit late now but li-ion batteries give off toxic fumes when they burn. Also this thread is useless without pictures

Greybeard
    Free Member

@DrP – assuming you have home insurance, does it cover your phone? If so, why take the risk of using the damaged one?

DrP

M,bkjhxhgg

Sorry…hard to type with only 6 fingers….. 😉

All went well!
    Heated the glue strip with a hairdryer and took the back of the phone off with ease..
    It would be a REAL challenge to do that and keep the rear intact, but as i was replacing mine, i kinda just folded it off!!

Everything underneath was fine.. battery, wireless charger bit. All good.

Cleaned it up and stuck the new back on, and it’s A OK…
    I do however have a funky s20 5G with a pink bevel and blue rear glass!!!

And… the new glass came with an imei number on it. What’s the deal there?!!
    Thought I’d just get a plain back… factory excess perhaps?

Anyway..fixing stuff is cool!!

DrP

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Phone got ran over by a car… will the Li-ion explode my nuts off???’ is closed to new replies.