Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • pf30 bottom brackets – which is best?
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

Any recommendations for pf30 bottom brackets? The SRAM one that was fitted as standard on my Camber was OK (mainly because I rode my hardtail in the worst of the winter wet) but hasn’t lasted long considering… I have seen an FSA one and a Raceface one, have people tried those?

mark_rich
    Free Member

My spesh sram bb has suffered a similar failure, it’s off down the shop tomorrow to have a hope bb30 push fit one fitted, they are new out I beleive, if like most other things hope, should be significantly better than the sram! Making sure it’s fitted perfectly true has a big impact on bearing life I’m told.

boxxer7
    Free Member

I’ve got a wheels manufacturing angular contact one, been on a couple of months now no creaking and seems to be working a treat.

gee
    Free Member

I’ve had a Gusset PF30 one for a year on my Spearfish. Still perfect and it’s done a lot of miles and races.

GB

Baznav
    Free Member

Hope is the nuts.

29ers
    Free Member

Had a MTB FSA PF30 (approx. £27) fitted to my winter bike which did almost 3000 miles in mostly muddy/wet conditions.

Then changed that for a Praxis works conversion kit so I could use a Shimano crankset (also highly recommended).

campfreddie
    Free Member

Praxis if you want to run shimano. I believe some high end bikes are coming with this as standard now as it has a fighting chance of lasting more than 5 minutes is designed in such a manner where the bearings should not unwind themselves.

TomZesty
    Free Member

Thanks chaps!

eshershore
    Free Member

I’m looking at this myself as I’ve gone through 7 pairs of BB30 bearings in my 29’er Stumpjumper’s PF30 BB in the past 2 years, doing mild XC trail riding once a week and being gentle cleaning the bike

I’m convinced the nylon PF30 cups and BB30 bearings are not aligned properly when installed, as my last set of new bearings have lasted less than 9 off-road rides before going rough when the crank is spun

thankfully, I’m a bike mechanic with access to a very well equipped workshop, so it easier to deal with these issues

since the SRAM crank is now wearing out (arms looking very shabby) I’m considering moving to Shimano HT2 cranks with the native 24mm axle, and have been highly recommend the Praxis Works convertor by many riders and industry contacts.

Its around £60, with quality bearings, reduces the I.D. to 24mm for the Shimano cranks and most importantly has an expanding “collet” design which grips the BB shell as its tightened together; its also a machined aluminium alloy unit which should ensure the bearings are held parallel relative to the crank axle, unlike the Nylon PF30 cups…

mark_rich
    Free Member

Took my spesh in for a hope bb fitting, apparently hope list a bb for the spesh, but in reality it doesn’t fit.
    Ended up with a Rotor one fitted, which I’m assured are better quality than sram. I’ll see how it goes.
    If that doesn’t last I may try changing cranks and fitting a standard bb adapter.

philwarren11
    Free Member

My Sram one lasted 4 months, my FSA lasted 8. Thats 800 miles of hard riding in south wales, plenty of uplifts too.

Now on Wheels Manufacturing, been on for a month or so, so far so good, but time will tell. If this lasts the summer ill be happy, otherwise I’m going praxis and HT2.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘pf30 bottom brackets – which is best?’ is closed to new replies.