Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pets and PIRs – pfft.
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I recently bought a new wireless house alarm. In addition to the standard kit I spent £60 on two “pet friendly” PIRs. I installed and commissioned the alarm over the last couple of evening and it went LIVE last night.

03:25 the alarm siren blares out. Guess what. Our cat triggered the “pet friendly” PIR in the lounge.

I’ve installed as per the instructions at a height of 2.3m. According to the literature, the signature of a pet less than 25kg should not invoke an alarm.

Any ideas folks or are PF PIRs a pipedream?

wwaswas

insulate the cat to reduce its heat signature?

stevied
    Free Member

Is your pet cat actually a lion?

Cougar

On the last ones I installed, the PIRs had a ‘pet’ switch which needed to be enabled.

Cougar

(Sorry, by “enabled” I mean of course “switched on.” Ugh.)

wwaswas

(Sorry, by “enabled” I mean of course “switched on.” Ugh.)

Plain and cogent English typification and communication mode subsequently enablified.

samuri
    Free Member

Have you tried sellotaping the cat to the floor?

This provides the additional benefit of restricting it’s ability to have endless sex with any stranger it comes across as well as reducing it’s capacity to decimate the local wildlife.

allthepies
    Free Member

Wrap the cat in tinfoil.

stevied
    Free Member

If the PIR’s are in the house, put the cat outside and gaffer-tape the catflap shut..

derek_starship
    Free Member

samuri – Button (the cat) is a house cat and has never smoked a bullfinch in his life.

stevied – nope – not a lion. He is a big bugger though.

At least he proved that I did my bit on the install and programming!
    Even if the PIR is a tad over reactive. Perhaps I could buy him a wet suit and fill it with chilled water…

meikle_partans
    Free Member

There are ‘pet friendly’ and ‘pet friendly’ PIRs. I would take the advice of an installer. The ones that actually work and don’t false alarm cost a bit.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what exactly is a house cat? is it a cat that looks like a house ? or a house that looks like a cat.

why would you keep an animal inside its whole life ?

kick it out side , make it man up , alarm problem solved

derek_starship
    Free Member

trail rat.

I think you know what a house cat is.

He’s been indoors since birth and therefore knows nothing else. It’s for his safety as we live betwixt two busy A roads. We lost Spook to the road after 9 years and didn’t want to go through it again. Positive upshots are no songbirds are smoked and nobody has him pooping in there gooseberry patch.

He is a very happy cat. (he tells me every day)

samuri
    Free Member

What if …..drum roll…..

A cat burglar breaks in!!!!!!!!!!!!

camo16
    Free Member

Applauds samuri’s comment. Chapeau, sir. 😆

Other than that I have nothing useful to add.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pets and PIRs – pfft.’ is closed to new replies.