Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Percentage of riders running tubeless
  • M6TTF
    Free Member

After reading another thread, it got me wondering how many out there have made the switch? I did it about 2 years ago, and touch wood have had zero flats or problems since, yet most of my mates still run tubes…

D0NK

touch wood have had zero flats or problems since

Ooooh saying stuff like that will get you in trouble, double blowout this weekend…

I run tubeless on some wheels, mostly rear wheels, not bulletproof but a fair bit better that tubes.

neninja
    Free Member

I have been for about 18 months with no problems on stans arch flowand olympic rims. Converted only a couple of my mates so far.

Garry_Lager

Pushing 10 years tubeless now – it actually was pretty bulletproof on the FS for me. Would go years without a puncture. Switched back to HT riding recently and can see myself getting the odd one at the back – just bigger impacts.

It seems to be part of the furniture now – first 2-3 years I was running it I thought it would never catch on – the diy jobs were hopeless and the mavic offerings seemed unpopular. They stuck with it though such that there’s good choice available now.

Tubeless is now superior in every way, but it’s not an overwhelming advantage or anything, so I see why some people don’t switch. I mean I ride my (tubed) cross bike on some rough trails and rarely get a puncture, so I’m guessing tubed mountain bike wheels don’t really puncture all that much in the grand scheme of things.

Rorschach
    Free Member

About 5-6 years for me.

TheFlyingOx

Gone tubeless on the rear of the XC Prongy, and after 2 rear punctures in 2 days on the AM Prongy, I can see that going tubeless too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I run tubes.
    1) I change tyres depending what sort of riding I am doing
    2) punctures are rare where I ride – few hawthorn hedges
    3) I like to run highish pressures – I hate squirmy tyres

thus tubeless has little advantage for me and some disadvantage.

rewski
    Free Member

About 5-6 years for me

blimey, early adopter or did you invent it…

1.5 years for moi, no complaints so far

Northwind

I tried it on standard rims and it wasn’t up to much IMO, you just swap punctures for burps, and I know which I’d prefer. But then I got some nice wheels that just happened to be tubeless rimmed, and it made sense to try it. Done right, it’s lighter and more durable than tubes, after all.

But TJ makes a good point, it’s slower to change tyres over. My rigid bike doesn’t get that much use and it’s kind of frustrating that I seem to spend about 20 minutes changing tyres every time I ride it (it’s been ridden about 4 times this year, twice in snow, once at glentress and once for an XC race so there’s no “one tyre to rule them all”.

But on the bigger bikes I don’t change tyres much so that’s OK.

stumpy01

I’ve gone tubeless on the Stumpjumper, but this was purely to combat the thorn punctures over in Spain when i was out there last July.

I’ve had some issues with the front burping & the front washing out as a result, when I first switched. I think I’d lost pressure due to thorns & hadn’t topped the tyre up.
    I’ve had to re-do my front tyre as it kept losing pressure, but I am using a bit of a sketchy electrical tape conversion. It lasted a year before needing attention so not too bad.

On my Inbred, I still use tubes. I don’t tend to puncture that often so it’s not much of a priority.

rewski
    Free Member

I don’t change tyres, I change wheels, expensive but convenient, not all tubeless though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have seen a fair few flats amongst people I ride with who have tubeless and in one case an absolute pain to repair

Rorschach
    Free Member

Pre stans days (I think).Saw mavic ust and thought ‘thats a good idea’…too bloomin expensive though.Found a thread on mtbr about using bmx tubes and art latex.Been sans tubes ever since.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think the lack of pinches keeps me running tubeless on both my HT and FS – a few niggle now an again but otherwise nowt – no regrets esp now I run my Stans rim with just a bit of tape and a valve 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

About 5-6 years for me

blimey, early adopter or did you invent it…

1.5 years for moi, no complaints so far

Mavic UST rims were fitted to off the shelf bikes as far back as 2001! Time flies, but that’s 10 years ago…

I’ve been tubeless on all my bikes (except the road bike) since 2003, used everything from full UST setups, Stans rims with yellow tape, Stans rimstrips, and of course the Ghetto method. All work, some are easier to setup than others but that mainly depends on the tyres you use.

The only downsides to tubeless are it takes longer to setup than a normal tyre with an inner tube (though can be done quickly when you’ve got used to it), and your tyres will lose a bit more air so you need to just check them with a pump before most rides (which I’ve always done anyway). Other than that it’s win/win for tubeless IMO.

stevious

Put tubeless on my Stumpy for a trip to Spain, and have noticed the improvement in grip (I just converted my existing tyres).

I doubt I’d have bothered if I wasn’t going somewhere thorny, but I think given how painless the setup was I’ll consdier it again in the future.

Oh and I find that even at the same pressure as a tubed tyre I got slightly better grip, so tubeless don’t necessarily mean squirmy (but I see what TJ means).

andytherocketeer

Be interesting to know the stats, but my guess is a niche minority of users of enthusiast forums, and a negligible percentage of all other MTBers.

All I know is… I’m in the overwhelming majority that have not swapped. And at €3 for a tube (or effectively €0 for a tube when you buy them to get an online order over the free delivery threshold) vs €many for a bottle of slop and a compressor, I think I’ve saved a good handful of € and maintenance faff/time.

Northwind

andytherocketeer – Member

€many for a bottle of slop and a compressor

Compressor not needed, and a pint of sealant does 6-8 wheels so works out cheaper than tubes 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

For me its the lack of on trail/race/ride faffing that matters to me most running tubeless? and I don’t get through much sealant TBH prob every 4-5 months I topup so the initial cost with a valve core, tape and gloop is about £15 and probably lasts the easily 2 years per set of wheels unless your tyres wear our faster?

chipps

Tubeless systems are so much better than they used to be, but I still run tubes.

I agree with many of TJ’s points (now there’s a thought). There are no thorns here, I’m not that rad a rider so I rarely pinchflat (even when I was running 20psi with tubes as an experiment) and every tubeless fan I know has had some sort of ‘latexplosion’ at some point in their life. It also irks me that if you do puncture a tyre, it’s an arse to fix.

I’m also far too lazy. Luckily we have some bona fide rubber sniffers here who love fiddling with tyres and solutions. (And as any latex solution that gets sent in to test disappears immediately, that may also explain why I never get round to it)

resisted
    Free Member

Been Tubeless on various bikes for about 5 years, never a puncture. Always used Tubeless specific tyres however, that might well have helped

gee
    Free Member

Used Stans tubeless since 2001. It’s fantastic. I would imagine that approaching 100% of riders in an Elite xc race would be using tubeless.

GB

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Having ran a variety of tubeless setups I’ve found I’ve just swapped one set of problems for another. No more punctures but more burping etc. I’m running tubeless again now (ust) but will probably go back to tubes shortly.

I certainly don’t think tubeless is on a par with the 2nd coming of Christ which is often the impression you get from some mags etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

chipps – I work here
    I agree with many of TJ’s points (now there’s a thought)

Yippeeeeeeeeeee! *runs around in delight*

I shall save an treasure this post for ever

andytherocketeer

Compressor not needed

Lots of stories here and elsewhere would suggest otherwise 😕
    Did the stats for my bike the other night. Over 1600 miles so far on €6 of tubes. Swapped tyres a few times in the meantime – same pair of tubes, but would have probably meant new goo? Still need to carry a tube for the time you’re gonna get an unsealable gash.
    edit:

I certainly don’t think tubeless is on a par with the 2nd coming of Christ which is often the impression you get from some mags etc.

^^that

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think its personal taste – Adv and dis-adv of both systems but I don’t think its a major issue to rant and rave about – just do what you want surely? Try it or not? Does any one really care what everyone else does?

Northwind

I agree people get very carried away with it btw. I think the disadvantages are overstated too though.

chipps – I work here

It also irks me that if you do puncture a tyre, it’s an arse to fix.

Don’t really understand this one tbh. I’ve had a couple of punctures and it’s a case of remove valve, check for punctury things, fit tube. ie, all but identical to a standard puncture. The latex can be a little messy if you’re careless.

andytherocketeer – Member

Lots of stories here and elsewhere would suggest otherwise

If you’re using one of the half-assed options it’s a big help to have a compressor, but done right, a good trackpump does the job (emphasis on good here btw, I’ve tried to do it with a low-end Joe Blow and it was very hard work, with my Airtower it’s much easier). If you want to fit slack or very tight non-tubeless tyres, that’s harder.

Don’t get me wrong, I use my compressor normally! No reason not to after all, I use it to fit tubes too 😉 But I’ve made sure I can do it with a pump.

Oh, tubeless sealant is reusable if you’re tight- though some always gets wasted.

daveb
    Free Member

been running tubeless on all of my bikes for about two years now, one small issue in that time but apart from that all good. Really doubt I would want to go back to tubed (always carry a spare tube out ont he trails though – just in case..)

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Early days for me(only 6 months “gettoing”)but up to now I’m v. Impressed. Used to get a pinch pucture on everyride due to the low pressures I like to run. Can now run the same pressures and I haven’t had a flat yet.

ac282

I run tubless. Its great for XCriding/racing as you can get away with using light tyres at low pressures. Not so good for your rims though… 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Tubeless on mtb, it’s brill.

avdave2

Still tubes for me mainly because I seem to average around 1 to 2 punctures a year and I’m light enough and enough of an xc mincer to run down to 30psi without ever getting pinch flats.

I don’t change tyres, I change wheels,

I change bikes, I have one for wet muddy conditions, Rohloff hub Pace RC31 forks Mud x tyres and hideous mudguards and another bike for nice days. I’d be tempted to go tubeless on that to save weight but I won’t do that till I’ve worn out the heavy wired tyres that came on it.

Houns

Have been using Mavic 819’s on my FS for about 7 years and only 1 puncture in that time and that was my fault for not changing the sealant – It was a about 12 months old and just didn’t quite hold it.

My HT and CX bike are both tubed and both are sat in the garage with front and rear punctures, i’m fekkin sick of fixing them. Need to go UST on the HT and some tubeless bodge on the CX ASAP

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Cripes. I’ve just worked out I started experimenting with tubeless 8 years ago.

Initially various DIY iterations – I did alot of learning in the first few months, but eventually settled on some stans rims when no-one really knew who they were – did some more messing about with rim strips on 519s but now all I run are stans rims with mostly tubeless ready tyres.

IME you swap faff time in the garage with downtime on the trail. I know which I’d rather. If done carefully you’ll save a bit of weight too, but reliability has always been my priority. In 8 years I had probably 4 or 5 punctures and they were so severe I’ve had to repair or discard the tyre. The last time I actually looked inside one of my tyres, I counted 7 visible thorns. Lord only knows how many of the tyre you can only feel, or those ones that sit in the carcass of the tyre and give your tubes slow punctures.

Tubeless for me always now. I actually struggled to find an inner tube the other day (needed it to make a new weather seal for the car!)

sefton
    Free Member

yep I’m running nobbys tubeless ready on shimano mt65 wheels – great no real probs. still seep sealant through the side walls though

nickjb
    Free Member

Not for me. No one in my group either. One guy had it on new bike but he’s switched to tubes after a couple of punctures.

clubber
    Free Member

I converted one bike a few months back and it being a doddle, have since concerted two more including my cx. the mtbs have been perfect and I’ve not had a flat since and I know at the bbf that it sealed a puncture. The cx took more time to get right presumably down to the higher pressures. I did get a flat at honc due to a ripped sidewall but that’s no more hassle to fix than if you have tubes.

I’m certainly converted.

for the record, no compressor, no burps and no explosions.

nicko74

TandemJeremy – Member

I run tubes.
    1) I change tyres depending what sort of riding I am doing
    2) punctures are rare where I ride – few hawthorn hedges
    3) I like to run highish pressures – I hate squirmy tyres

thus tubeless has little advantage for me and some disadvantage.
    Another one with TJ here – I do swap my tyres for slicks every few weeks, and back again, so the additional hassle doesn’t seem worth it. Plus with tubes it’s fairly easy to just swap them out if you get a puncture trailside.
    So I’m currently running Crests with tubes in them; the irony is that I still seem to need a compressor to get the tyre bead to seat correctly on the, which was part of the reason why I hadn’t gone tubeless to date…

nicko74

Apropos of nothing at all, it’s interesting that in Central Asia, trucks still run tyres with tubes – and you’ll fairly often see a truck pulled over with the driver repairing the tube, reinserting it and pumping up the tyre again.
    I’m not sure if it’s ‘rough roads’->punctures->tubes or tubes->punctures, but it’s a noticeable difference.

Northwind

nicko74 – Member

Plus with tubes it’s fairly easy to just swap them out if you get a puncture trailside.

Exactly the same with most tubeless methods 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Percentage of riders running tubeless’ is closed to new replies.