Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • People that have to give you more info than needed.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

So, as some know I do some sort of ‘sales’ as a living. Now I don’t blame you for immediately thinking ‘scumbag’ most sales people are quite short on morals after all, I would say I’m not but that won’t stop you tarring me so think what you like 😉
    As a company we have never gone the hard sale route, in fact we don’t have to, again I feel your cynicism. But we can read people, it comes with decades of experience of being lied to, you think we are scumbags, see it from the other side & your eyes will open, be honest with yourself & recall all the ‘stories’ you have told to try & get the deal you want, chances are we have heard them before, maybe 100 or so times, no, no you’re not as clever as you thought 😉
    Anyway as an opening gambit where do you think this is trying to go?
    I’m going to change the wording but the essence is…

I’m an important doctor on the front line working with the most infected covid cases

I know where this is going, but I’m not that happy about it on moral grounds..

jon1973
    Free Member

People that have to give you more info than needed.

I’m starting to know what that feels like after reading that 😂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Unimog.

You know it makes sense.

Unlike the OP

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I get that but I thought the background info was important 😉

Edit, PP, I have been here a while, I’m not after love but I know the background info will always be asked for, hence the ramble at the start, anyway love & peace to all.

MoreCashThanDash

Still none the wiser…..

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

For the hard of thinking take my ramblings before the quote out of equation & go from there, or not, I’m passed caring.

sirromj

Are you selling shoes?

Superficial
    Free Member

If you are trying to sell him something in a medical capacity, you’re intimidated by the fact that someone else has a more important role in society than you?

OTOH if this was a non-medical scenario, the doctor is making a dick move?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Would U take a PlayStation in part ex and can you deliver?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I’m not selling shoes & it has nothing to do with anything medical, the bloke wants to buy a frigging car FFS.

sirromj

Speak to your director?

Greybeard
    Free Member

Sorry OP, I genuinely have no idea what you’re trying to say. What’s the context to that quote?

bigyan
    Free Member

I am guessing he wants money off or to skip the wait.

The one I get all the time is “I’m an engineer, so I know how this works, but I want you to fix it….”

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have obviously not made it clear enough, I’m sorry for the failure.

bigyan
    Free Member

Another common one is “my uncle’s dad’s mate’s sister’s dog’s hamster used to work in a bike shop, can I get money off/skip the line/borrow tools”

funkmasterp

WTF is this thread about? I spend a great deal of my time being confused, but this has taken it to a new level.

matt_outandabout

DezB
    Free Member

OP thinks we won’t like him based on his career choice. That means I’m a social awkward geek, into Star Wars and gaming. That’s what you think of me isn’t it? eh? turn it off and back on again! Bastards the lot of ya.

Mat

WTF is this thread about?

I think the OP is sharing an anecdote of a potential customer telling morally dubious lies in the hope it gives them a more favourable outcome in their prospective purchase? Also he is aware this is an inversion of the stereotypical trope of salespeople doing the same to drive a sale.

OP, just laugh and carry on as normal? 😀

It does irk me how sales people often like to ask me what I do quite early on. Probably just my paranoia And they’re just making conversation but I always feel like I’m being sized up…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

LOL (really at the last few replies), but in all honesty it really boils down to the fact that covid has absolutely nothing to do with buying a car so why mention it? It was mentioned because he was looking for leverage or pity, it was never relevant & that was my point.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I think the OP is sharing an anecdote of a potential customer telling morally dubious lies in the hope it gives them a more favourable outcome in their prospective purchase? Also he is aware this is an inversion of the stereotypical trope of salespeople doing the same to drive a sale.

OP, just laugh and carry on as normal? 😀

It does irk me how sales people often like to ask me what I do quite early on. Probably just my paranoia And they’re just making conversation but I always feel like I’m being sized up

At last..

nealglover
    Free Member

The title makes a lot of sense after reading the first post.

No idea what you are talking about or what responses you were expecting though

sirromj

And they’re just making conversation but I always feel like I’m being sized up

They’re NEVER just making conversations. They’re ALWAYS making sales 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

If he’s a doctor then obviously he’s loaded / doing alright for himself.
    Bullshit gets you nowhere. I’ve worked in sales and always gave the best discount i could to the genuinely nice people.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Not sure I understand your point? If he’s been working with Covid patients for 5 months then you should give him a massive discount, if your bullshit radar works as well as you say it does then tell him to **** off?

jekkyl

are you selling weerides?

hols2
    Free Member

kerley
    Free Member

I have obviously not made it clear enough, I’m sorry for the failure.

Let’s hope you make anything you sell clearer otherwise it is not surprising you are getting frustrated by people buying from you.

leffeboy

I do feel your pain. We are not good at negotiating so just saying we find it a bit too pricey isn’t enough. Would like to know better how to do it. Sales folks are much better at it as that is one of their skills.  I do always get amused by the fact that whatever I am buying happens to be what they have at home

Was looking at cars yesterday and the sales folks were rushed off their feet with people trying to catch up post lockdown. I’m guessing there isn’t much scope for negotiation there 🙂

Edit: and your original post was very clear. It would wind me up hugely even though it shouldn’t

garage-dweller

You know they don’t HAVE to do it. They’re just trying to play your little sales game by appealing to your better nature. The same way you appeal to whatever you think will work.

The difference is you’re mostly better at it than they are.

joshvegas
    Free Member

It does irk me how sales people often like to ask me what I do quite early on. Probably just my paranoia And they’re just making conversation but I always feel like I’m being sized up…

I get that. There Is a certain type of person who are definitely trying to gauge you success. i like offhand replies.

“What do you do?”
    “As little as possible to still get paid”

“What kind of car do you drive”
    “White one”

hols2
    Free Member

I do always get amused by the fact that whatever I am buying happens to be what they have at home

A regional sales manager of a company that used to supply an ex-employer of mine literally did have this. He figured out that he could just sign out one of everything as a “demonstrator” and if anyone asked questions, he would assign it to a different branch. Problem is, it was an engineering supply company, so he had enough welders, lathes, milling machines, etc. stuffed into his garage to equip a pretty decent workshop. Not sure if he actually had a plan to do anything with it, I suspect he just had a disorder and couldn’t help himself, kinda like my stock of old 26″ tyres and 9 speed drivetrains.

Superficial
    Free Member

If he’s a doctor then obviously he’s loaded

I’m a doctor and have been for more than 10 years but still in training. I am definitely not ‘loaded’, and certainly don’t have extra cash to splash by accepting a bad deal on a car.

NHS discounts were pretty crazy towards the start of lockdown so maybe your punter thinks that applies to the car he wants to buy? Or maybe he’s just a nob? Maybe he’s not even a doctor?

akeys001

kinda like my stock of old 26″ tyres and 9 speed drivetrains.

Stealth ad reported

Edit: although i have been nice doing shopping for my neighbours recently can I have a discount?

timbog160

Can I have two please?

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’m Spartacus.

Does that mean I get a good deal?

tomhoward

People will feed you any old bollocks to try and get a better deal for themselves. Some of it’s true, some of it isn’t.

stumpyjon

I’m a doctor and have been for more than 10 years but still in training. I am definitely not ‘loaded’, and certainly don’t have extra cash to splash by accepting a bad deal on a car.

And your point is caller? I think this is exactly what the OP is talking about, fair enough make the point about being a doctor in training and not being loaded but what does that have to do with bad deals, your status as a doctor is irrelevant, the guy that works in McDonald’s also can not afford to waste money on a bad deal but probably doesn’t bring up his employment status.

The whole discount for key workers thing was virtue signalling by businesses and left a lot of NHS workers quite uneasy but unfortunately it’s given a few the belief that they stand above ordinary citizens outside of the medical world. Anyone who has worked through out this period has been helping the country, no good the NHS keeping people alive (and I do think they’ve done a good job despite the government) if there’s no society / economy to come back to.

And on the same note those that have been sacrificed (lost jobs and businesses) to aid the lock down have been hut harder by this than many deemed ‘key worker’s.

OP, I think your customer has just awarded himself a 5% dick surcharge and no complimentary coffee.

midlifecrashes

I’m an important doctor on the front line working with the most infected covid cases

This is an easy one:

“Take this pack of dettol wipes, clean everything you’ve touched in here and sod off out of my showroom until COVID has gone away, oh and order me a test now you dangerous fool.”

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Did you appease the customer by showing them the secret bit of paper that you’re Definitely Not Allowed To Show Them to prove that you’re not making any money on the car? That ought to have sorted everything I think 😁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘People that have to give you more info than needed.’ is closed to new replies.