Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • People buying off the classified then selling on for a profit
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m trying not to be a party pooper here but this isn’t really in the spirit of the classified is it?

PRO2 on WTB Speedisk on ebay

Pro2 on WTB Speedisk

I thought it rang a bell whilst I was trawling ebay.

I don’t think that that is really on do you?

There is also a Red hope BB that was sold on here after being bought on ebay a couple of days before.

Daffy seems like a pretty nice guy but to be expecting to clear £59 + £15 p&p on something that was bought on here for £110 posted takes the piss.

It’s pretty much what wheelsonfire/bustafajones was kicked off here for.

Anyway, sorry if this is out of order and I don’t mean anything personal by it. Just annoys me.

Andy

dave_aber
    Free Member

I wish I’d seen his auction for XT brakes a couple of days ago – just bought some SLX’s

Offroading
    Free Member

It’s business. Millions of business’s do it everyday around the world.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Not sure about naming names but I agree when it is done it doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the classfieds. Sold a set of forks on here and they were on eBay before I even had an email to say they had arrived as I requested.

It’s business. Millions of business’s do it everyday around the world.

I disagree that the classifieds is a business…or it certainly shouldn’t be used as one.

tails
    Free Member

I think daffy has spoke about this, basically he is a serial parts swapper, and if he can be arsed to constantly do auctions far enough. On the other hand I doubt he has used these wheels so this is not part swapping just a small business.

Offroading
    Free Member

No the classifieds is not a business.

But the principle of buying something cheap, then selling it on for a profit is.

JonR
    Free Member

This properly pees me off, I’ve been after a set of pro 2s on a decent rim for ages and here is someone trawling the classifieds for wheels he was never going to use just because they were going for a song.

I think the rules clearly state that the classifieds is not for people solely for the purpose of making a profit?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Offroading – You know that’s not the point. It’s not in the spirit of the classifieds.

Not really community minded is it?

I have bought a few things off here for really good prices. The people that have sold them to me could have got more on ebay, but either don’t want to or are using the classifieds in the community sense that it is supposed to be.

MrSmith
    Free Member

not done it myself but if you have something to sell on here then who cares what happens to it afterward? if they ebay it then they have to deal with the hassle and the fee’s, good luck to them.
    if you moan because they make more money on ebay then why didn’t you ebay them yourself?

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Not cricket imo.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I got a set of Pro2’s laced to 321 rims including tyres. Only cost a £100 posted, the seller also could of got alot more on ebay for them.

Totally agree it’s not really in the spirit of the community. The classifieds are a great part of this forum and we should try and keep it that way.

tails
    Free Member

I think the rules clearly state that the classifieds is not for people solely for the purpose of making a profit

Yeah but he is not selling them on classfieds, ebay is a business!!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

At least he actually bought them – the last 3 things I’ve “sold” on here have had all the chat, all the emails, and then contact has suddenly dried up, wasting my time. Oh, and other muppets offering pennies for something worth pounds.

I’m thinking ebay is the way to go now.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Mr Smith – I think that you are missing the point. I’m not moaning because he’s making money. I unhappy about it because that’s not what the classifieds are for.

I think that JonR has a point. He had no intention of using them. It was just a financial transaction. Daffy is prolific enough on here to know that those wheels were never destined for any of his bikes.

I don’t want to be a knob about it. I just wanted to raise what I perceived to be an issue.

Offroading
    Free Member

I agree with that Andy. To be honnest Daffy has done the same to me – i sold him something once and he re-sold it for £25 more than he paid for it. Something should be said or done as he’s shafting the STW community – there as you say are users who could actually use the item rather than sell it on.

But there’s nothing illegal or “wrong” with selling things at a profit.

nukeproof
    Free Member

What really grates is when a buyer is giving it the old ‘Only got £XXX left in the Paypal account’,’I would but pay day is next week so I can only go to £XXX’ etc so you let them have it cheaper thinking at least its going to get used by another forum dweller (karma and all that) and actually its to increase their bloody profit margin.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Then there are others haggling prices down only to then sell it on….

Very obvious example on there as i type

tails
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t do what daffy is clearly doing. But when I sold a couple of bits on classifieds I checked the going rate on ebay then knocked a fiver off, thought that was fair for the lack of hassle, but I certainly wouldn’t sell something here and lose out on £20

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

What really grates is when a buyer is giving it the old ‘Only got £XXX left in the Paypal account’,’I would but pay day is next week so I can only go to £XXX’ etc so you let them have it cheaper thinking at least its going to get use by another forum dweller (karma and all that) and actually its to increase their bloody profit margin.

taka?

Andyhilton
    Free Member

But there’s nothing illegal or “wrong” with selling things at a profit.

I quite agree.

XC_PK
    Free Member

The Santa Cruz springs to mind…

nukeproof
    Free Member

taka? Nope

The Santa Cruz springs to mind… The dinged Superlight?

tails
    Free Member

taka?
    he only 16 if I remember so money is probably a bit limited for him.

uplink
    Free Member

I’ve sold stuff on here before way below what I could get on eBay for it

Not because I couldn’t be bothered to do it but because It’s good to pass stuff on at a good price to people who have a similar way of life & [presumably] similar standards rather than always getting what the market will stand. I [& others] often pass stuff on to other cyclists at what it cost us rather than what I could get for it. For that person then to immediately move it on for a profit can be somewhat dis-heartening
    Oh – I guess the ‘greed is good’ brigade will be totally lost with this concept but there you go.

IMO the classifieds were pretty much always a place of help rather than commerce but it’s been changing over the last couple of years – for the worse, I fear

baronspudulike
    Free Member

As a community we are allowed to decide who we sell and buy stuff from. If you notice a user behaving in a way you see as detrimental to the community you don’t have to deal with them. If the majority of sellers/buyers did this then it would end this kind of behaviour. I know that before christmas I had users that I had no interest in dealing with, but now they may have new usernames.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

taka?
    he only 16 if I remember so money is probably a bit limited for him.

Doesn’t stop him haggling prices even though he has stuff for sale on the classifieds though, does it?

Money is limited for all of us Tails, doesn’t mean we all haggle to knock a few quid off to get a bargain 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

wasnt dinged, it had a bit of skaffold pole welded to it to keep it going!

Wasn’t so anoyed about him asking about it, but was a bit anoyed after he recieved a lot of advice (admiteldy from armchair engineers) saying theres no ay any of them would ride it. He then put it o the classifided for double what he’d already told everyone he’d paid for it!

nukeproof
    Free Member

it had a bit of skaffold pole welded to it to keep it going!

I’m thinking of a different SL sale then

tails
    Free Member

ay your not wrong steve austin someone offered me £25 for an item I could have made £40 for so I turned down there offer. Haggling works both ways, you don’t have to accept there offer.

XC_PK
    Free Member

Nuke- it could have been.

Tails- I too am only 16, cash is a problem but I manage to survive with my bikes and still somehow manage to find that extra couple of quid for an upgrade every once in a while.

Admitted I have done some not quite perfect deals but I have given and recieved some karma parts, in an attempt to get the balance right.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What about the people that are now trying to sell Shimano stuff including the current price rise!!
    Someone tried to flog me a USED XT mech for nearly £20 yesterday! If it was used, certainly bought before the price hike!! TTP imo

hora
    Free Member

WTF with this thread? People can put any price they want. I think its neither ‘business’ or mad- the difference is hardly going to lead to a global empire is it?!

nostoc
    Free Member

“COST ALMOST £270 when bought new last month”

scaredypants

how do you know it’s the same wheels ?

if it is, I’d be more worried about “COST ALMOST £270 when bought new last month” since that’d be untrue, rather than just taking “commercial” advantage of the classifieds (though I don’t much like that)

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I think it’s a shame. I think the great thing about STW Classifieds is that people aren’t trying to wring you for as much as possible. I’ve got some great bargains off here and so try to pass them on. Sharki – someone I’d had no previous contact with – even gave me some almost new tyres and an old offroad light completely for free a few weeks ago. It’s not a business, it’s a community and that’s why we don’t make as much money on it as ebay – for me, it’s not about that.

All very idealistic I know, but it’s how I feel!

JonR
    Free Member

WTF with this thread? People can put any price they want. I think its neither ‘business’ or mad- the difference is hardly going to lead to a global empire is it?!

Quite simple really, the rules on the classifieds forum state

If we suspect that a user is exploiting our forum to earn additional income or solely for the purposes of making a profit then we are very likely to consider that as ‘Trade’ activity

From looking at the standards that Daffy has for his bikes you can see he was never going to put pro2s on WTB rims on any of his multitude of bikes so he bought those wheels purely to sell on and hence has not only broken the rules but also has deprived somebody from STW who would have actually fitted them and used them of a good set of wheels.

tails
    Free Member

Someone tried to flog me a USED XT mech for nearly £20 yesterday! If it was used, certainly bought before the price hike!! TTP imo

I think thats fair if you can’t get it for less (you probably can) and you want it, pay the money. I have a set of new xtr rings no way i’ll sell them for ton, when a single big ring is £150+ new

snaps
    Free Member

Checking his feedback shows two other sets of wheels sold in the last few weeks.

Nick

Something should be said or done as he’s shafting the STW community

I’m not sure I agree, seems like a bit of sour grapes really, the seller offered them for £110, someone comes along and buys them.

Once that person has bought them then they can do what they like with them.

I’ve been very fortunate and had some good deals from the classifieds while looking for bits for my 456, I also missed out on some bits, maybe Daffy beat me to them, no big deal, if you are patient a similar bit will come up in a day or two. I bought the STW boys a beer, I have used most of the parts except some bars, I might swap a few things about, at some point some of it might go on ebay or back on the classifieds. Personally I like selling stuff on ebay, it’s fun.

pk-ripper
    Free Member

racing_ralph – Member
    What about the people that are now trying to sell Shimano stuff including the current price rise!!

I don’t think that’s unreasonable if it’s in good condition, given that the cheapest they were before the price rises was in the region of £30.

Perhaps you’re just tight?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘People buying off the classified then selling on for a profit’ is closed to new replies.