Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pentlands Video
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

A taste of the Pentlands

Still messing around with the Go-Pro and chest mount. This one is a little taste of the sort of trails we have in the Pentlands. Most of it from my ride this morning, except the last bit (the Pentlands "shore" which was from last weekend). Be interesting to see if folks prefer it to the Carron Valley video from yesterday, which provoked a mixed response.

coastkid
    Free Member

like the chest mount view…,cant beat old school eletronic to! 😮

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Where's the trail after the Black hill descent?
    chest cam works well. Was up there yesterday, great weekend for it!

ojom
    Free Member

Nice work

Where is 5.50mins…? dont recognise it.

coogan
    Free Member

That actually managed to make the Pentlands look relatively exciting. Where is 5.40 about?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Hi Steve
    I like the camera position, it's more engaging. Here is a pentlands video of mine from the previous weekend:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz04Bbc2wfM

I'm also curious to know where the steps are, I can't think where that might be.

Paul, the section after Black Hill is a path from Harlaw visitors centre down to the road to Balerno.

AlasdairMc

It's some local stuff near Balerno en route to Harlaw – some kids have built a wee trail and jumps.

epicsteve
    Free Member

As mentioned above the trail after Black Hill was the little one that runs down from the visitor centre to Harlaw Road. It's quite entertaining if you take it at speed as you have to duck down under the trees in a few places and avoid the soft bits. I quite often do it on night rides.{Amended by Mod on request}

5:40/5:50 is a set of steps leading down to Harlaw Road from the old bing that's just behind where the garages are (the access track is just behind them). There is a group trying to get permission to build a pump track and some jumps up there.

epicsteve
    Free Member

V8_shin_print – I think I've seen that video when it was posted the the edinburghmtb group last week. What camera were you using? It looks similar to the Oregon I was using before I go the GoPro.

Kit
    Free Member

5:40/5:50 is a set of steps leading down to Harlaw Road from the old bing that's just behind where the garages are (the access track is just behind them)

starts here http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=316654&Y=665920&A=Y&Z=115

epicsteve
    Free Member

That's the one. There used to be a bit more riding around the bing and down behind it but I've not had a look in ages.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

coogan – Member
    That actually managed to make the Pentlands look relatively exciting. Where is 5.40 about?

You've just got to pick the right route, loads of exiting trails, if you have the legs to get up them first 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Enjoyed that. Thanks.

Dair
    Free Member

Nice Video. Impressed with the stability on the helmet mount too.

stuartm555
    Free Member

Nice video … it does manage to make the Pentlands look good! Although Black Hill seemed to go on for ages

Really impressed with the quality and chest mounting is definitely the best way

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nice clear vid. A bit wide angle for my taste however. Needs to be edited down tighter as well. All IMHO of course.

Good stuff tho. certainly looked flat but flat oot!

Kit
    Free Member

I found myself skipping the vid to see what was next, and in all honesty I don't think the vid does either Maiden's or Black Hill justice.

I think footage works much better with other riders, either ahead of you, or the camera is set up to capture the rider on the way past/negotiating a bit of trail. But with all due respect Steve, I get the impression you're not the most sociable of bikers so that might be tricky for you!

epicsteve
    Free Member

It's not so much that I'm too anti-social for group rides, more that I'm too slow!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

steve – no one is too slow for the TBC wed rides – nor any ride I am on

Amos
    Free Member

Will be watching this later!

epicsteve
    Free Member

steve – no one is too slow for the TBC wed rides – nor any ride I am on

I am entirely capable of changing your mind on that! 😉

ojom
    Free Member

Steve – we will see you on Wednesday.(i think you are faster than you think you are)

You will not be slow, it ain't a race and no-one takes a stop watch!

stanfree
    Free Member

Steve Im going on the TBC ride on wednesday so you wont be the slowest , Maidens cleugh to Glencorse is still a brilliant wee descent especially in the dry sunny conditions we have just now. The Pentlands might not be the most exciting but we are still lucky to have it on our doorstep.

Kit
    Free Member

It's not so much that I'm too anti-social for group rides, more that I'm too slow!

Certainly not! And as above, it's not a race or radness-fest 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Although Black Hill seemed to go on for ages

And that was with most of it cut out as it is a fairly long section – I should have chopped it further though.

What I'm planning to do is get footage of more of the Pentlands trails and put together a 5 minute or so taster video. I've got video in Pistachio and Poets Glen already (from my commute) so now need to start heading further afield.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Steve, my camera is a MD91, it takes a 16gb card and is smaller than a matchbox. The quality is better without the YouTube compression but it is limited to 640×480.
    I find it difficult to know when to cut the video, i think i leave way too much in. I've only just started doing this stuff though so i hope i will get better.
    I also need to find a way to chest mount my camera, i nearly lost it the other week after a low branch took it clean off my helmet!

epicsteve
    Free Member

I find it difficult to know when to cut the video, i think i leave way too much in. I've only just started doing this stuff though so i hope i will get better.

Same here – I think it's probably necessary to set something like a 3 minute maximum on the clip as a whole, and maybe a maximum of a minute on each trail.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pentlands Video’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM