Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pennine Bridleway new north section from Kirkby Stephen to Mary Towneley – Help
  • doodlebug
    Free Member

Just got a chance of a free lift and getting dropped off at the railway station at Kirkby Stephen. Does anybody know if the general PBW signage is up to scratch from the station all the way along the new section of the PBW, all the way to the Mary Towneley ??
    I have printed off the new north section maps from the main PBW web site, as i know Harvey’s have not yet done a publication as yet, or i’m i wrong ??

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve done parts of that section as part of another ride and the signage looked new and pretty good.

d45yth
    Free Member

Maybe this will be of some use? Bear Bones Bikepacking link.

neninja
    Free Member

Are they the OS maps you’ve already got? If not I can email them to you as I have them from Settle to almost Kirkby Stephen

doodlebug
    Free Member

Neninja – The ones i have printed are OS and are readable if i am really struggling, cheers about the signage.

d45yth – Sorry but link does not work.

globalti
    Free Member

I cycled (road) from Kirkby Stephen station last month and don’t remember seeing any PBW signs. I’d have taken note if I had.

martinhutch

They’ve just officially opened the north section, so while some signage was missing (just on the bits crossing the railway) when I did it a year ago, I’d expect it to be in place now. You should definitely have maps as a backup anyhow. I doubt they would have waymarked the road sections though, so you may be on your own from Kirkby Stephen station to Street where it turns off over Wild Boar Fell.

The other section where you may be struggling slightly is a short bit near Wycoller Country Park just north of the MTL where I think it remains incomplete.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Doodlebug try this
    Bear Bones Link

doodlebug
    Free Member

Thanks for the updates folks, plenty for me to read for a while…..

binners

Have you not got Issue 74 (latest issue)? Theres a good article on this, with all the info you need

d45yth
    Free Member

Thanks s8tannorm, the link I’d posted had the ‘http’ part twice!

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Did PBW – Long Preston to Kirkby Stephen last year. A good 58 miles I think. Was well marked then, should be improved now. As above check road section from KS to Street.

The other link route that cuts out Wild Boar Fell is also nice by the river.

Enjoy!!

Paul

neninja
    Free Member

It would be almost impossible to get lost going from KS station to Street. There’s only one turn to make until you hit the Street road sign.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pennine Bridleway new north section from Kirkby Stephen to Mary Towneley – Help’ is closed to new replies.