• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Ewan.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Peaks Winter Bivvy
  • The-Beard

Is this a good idea or will we end up drowning in a sea of mud? Anyone got any recommendations for winter bivvying round there (or anywhere for that matter)?

Many thanks

TB

The-Beard

Sorry – should have said, we don’t have a car, so a start from somewhere near a train station would be best.

tollah
    Free Member

Machynlleth has a station iirc

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye Mach’ has a station … straight through from Shrewsbury.

The-Beard

Machynlleth is a bit out of the way for us to get to. No one has any experience of bivvying in the peaks in winter?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Peaks will be very cold, but then so will everywhere. It shouldn’t be too muddy though, it tends to just get wet.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I’d be up for a peaks bivvy somewhere, still waiting to see if the date is free for the Machynlleth one, which I’m similarly tempted by! I’ve not bivvyed in the Peak before though so not help on locations I’m afraid. Robin Hoods cave on stannage is a popular option I hear, but I’m not sure how large it is

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I too would be up for this… I’m over near Delamere, which although not the most excting of rides in.. Does have some pretty decent bivi spots…

Blackhound

Why not just arrange something and see who wants to come along like Stuart has done?

What about riding from, say, Hope or Bamford station and ride a circuit to finish above the Ladybower visitor centre. You can ride easily quite a few km past the centre until the main trail ends and set up there. Not to remote for first timers but unlikely to disturb anyone. (A couple of years since I was up there so this is a bit vague I’m afraid)

freeform5spot
    Free Member

count me plus a few mates in. know some good sheltered areas where we could get a fire up without hastle.

matt_outandabout

Lower Small Clough shooting cabins have a cobble floor, table and 3 dodgy chairs, a door that sort of closes most of the weather out and a guest book. You can ride 90% of the way in and 90% of the way out. But you didn’t hear it here.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

Beard – any idea when you would wangt to organise for?
    With the silly season about to start it would be good to either do asap or very earlu 2011 i.e. in the hols.

The-Beard

No idea I’m afraid! Just trying to find out some more information about bivvying in the peaks. Silly season? Does it get busy up there this time of year?

Ewan
    Free Member

Me and a mate did a bivy a few weeks ago, got to zero at about 600m from about 7pm onwards. Our cliff side bivi was incredibly comfy tho – I slept for 12 hours!

I say go for it provided you have a decent sleeping bag (or lots of layers – my approach!) and are prepared to man up a bit and deal with the rain…

It is properly pretty up there.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

Ewan, did you guys do it as part of a ride or just wander in? Would you mind giving a vague indication of where you chose in the Peak?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Looks like Kinder … which really means it’s a walk not a ride, very limited bridleways up there.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

That’s true, could do a cheeky detour from the top of jacobs ladder but could be hard going unless the ground is frozen!

Ewan
    Free Member

We didn’t do it as a ride – round Kinder would be rubbish.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=408269&y=389903&z=115&sv=408269,389903&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=555&ax=408269&ay=389903&lm=0

Is approximently our camp spot. Two ledges on the edge of a cliff, each of them like a shallow cave. Not for the faint hearted, we had to build a wall of rocks incase we rolled over int he night! But very comfy.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Winter Bivvy’ is closed to new replies.