Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Peak Potter Overnighter
  • s1m0n
    Free Member

Was wondering if anyone has done this route on a gravel bike and if so what was it like?

Would be my first bikepacking adventure and would be interested to hear about peoples’ experiences

Peak Potter Overnighter

Fantombiker

Yep, did this one a while back. Gravel bike will be fine as there is quite a lot of the route is on gravel cycle trails like monsal. Because it uses those trails its also flatter than you would expect of a peaks ride. The section out of Bakewell was the hardest from memory but overall s good route.

thepodge
    Free Member

I know the guy who wrote that, I think he has a stw login so I’ll point him to it hopefully he’ll be able to answer questions.

landslide

Aye, that’s me.
    It’s more UK gravel+ than perfectly groomed gravel roads. I’ve done it all on my gradventourer with 700x42c tyres.
    Trickiest bits are the steep climb off the Monsal Trail to Blackwell (I usually end up pushing here, regardless of bike), and Gratton Dale (can be avoided by taking lanes through Middleton and rejoining the route at Alport).

stanley

That would be a good route for a first trip: nothing too challenging, other than wet limestone, and plenty of scenery.

Second trip should definitely be to the north of the Peak though: the trails, the views, the ruggedness of it all, etc.

Stay on a proper campsite so you can get all the gritstone mud of you though 🙂

s1m0n
    Free Member

Thanks for that. Looks like a good route and good way to get into bikepacking. Time to get planning.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’d avoid Gratton Dale, this was last weekend.

https://i.ibb.co/MkZbhDr/1663589336988.jpg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.