Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • peak district conditions.
  • stu170
    Free Member

Specifically the ladybower loop. How are the conditions up there. Planning on possibly doing this tomorrow. Forecast looks good, but that means nothing as we all know. Just looking for a real world heads up
    Cheers stw

thepodge
    Free Member

Search for kofthep on here, that’s the best site for info round there

I can think of a few Ladybower loops, some will be fine some should be left alone

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Big puddles on the roman road, stream running down to Hope cross, Beast is fine, bottom is very wet, lockerbrook is okish, Hagg farm fine but flowing water.

HTH

daveagiles
    Free Member

More of a river than a stream from the Cross Rob, I needed to snorkel 😉 However, it is mega grippy under the water, so not all bad.

Pook

Ladybower loops are generally OK in the wet with the exception of anything up Derwent edge

stu170
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Waterproof trousers it is

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Is there much/any snow up there after today’s weather?

daveagiles
    Free Member

Nope very little snow left. There are a couple of patches on the highest ground.

SOAP
    Free Member

Thinking of doing this loop next weekend
    http://www.justgoride.co.uk/Content/Routes/Viewer.aspx?id=538
    Is this likely to be quagmire ?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

don’t go on the east side (derwent edge) please – it will be soaking and ruined

SOAP
    Free Member

Rob do you use a Garmin?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

strava

hora
    Free Member

I was up there on Monday -all good. Derwent edge was knackered long time ago. I’m there this aft too 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

That route doesn’t even go onto Derwent Edge…

Garry_Lager

Hope brink and the Roman Rd were mashed last weekend – would be heavy going as a climb.

hora
    Free Member

SOAP- correction. I did your route last monday with two variations- I did Beast instead of Potato alley and I didn’t do Cut throat bridge- all was good.

On the Roman Road- yes thats thanks to clandestine early am 4×4 drivers. Its going to get worse. They also ripped down a section of fence to avoid the Hope Cross stone narrow gateway.

Ultimately we’ll get blamed for all the damage as ‘walkers’ will think ‘vehicles are banned from here and I never see any so it must be those mountain bike tyres.

Pook

Garry lager – there’s always the lower hope brink climb.

vertebratetom

I’d have said that the section east of Ladybower and the climb from Aston were worth leaving alone for now as they’re really muddy and trashed (just because Hora reckons it was ‘knackered a long time ago’ doesn’t mean it can’t get worse).

Something better might be to go from Ladybower, up and over Hagg Farm and then either around to the climb from Edale (edit: the bit that Pook’s refering to), or push up the Beast and go over Jaggers. You can come back via Blakeley Hey and Lockerbrook.

Or do the Jacob’s loop.

Edit edit: I mean Hope, not Edale…

hora
    Free Member

Pook which one are we doing Sunday? I’ll do the other option today.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

peachos – yes it does on the right

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora – your usual wankerish attitude there i see – well it’s already broken i will break it further!! How’s about you do the right thing and let nature take time to recover without your hefty lump churning it up further?

PS think that is what tom was saying in a more eloquent manner!!

Pook

Tom, I’m on about the ride up from the back end of hope – off the edale road. That + Jagger’s, potato or beast give a pretty weatherproof loop if folks don’t ride round the puddles near hope cross. Of course, the Jacobs loop is perfect.

That track from Aston is trashed though – but it’s bound to be being grass or mud!

Hora – we’re doing Jacobs aren’t we?

vertebratetom

PS think that is what tom was saying in a more eloquent manner!!

😆

Pook – yeah, we mean the same thing. I’m just getting my villages mixed up, as usual.

Pook

I did wonder why there was tippex in so many of the books.

hora
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member
    handbags – swinging handbags handbags – swinging handbags handbags – swinging handbags handbags – swinging handbags handbags – swinging handbags

If you look at my post to SOAP- I had my names mixed up. I didn’t ride Derwent. Still with MBR etc publishing ‘ride guides’ and even obvious pic’s of cheeky within them too of the Peaks I’ve given up. In some places recently I’ve seen wide tyre tracks that are too wide to be a bikes (more a motorcross..) Hope my eyes are wrong on that though.

Warning the odd person on a internet forum is like a drop in the ocean, shedloads of people ride up there. Its pointless warning one off but hey if it helps you sleep better at night thinking you are trying..

Far better if mbr etc STOP their route plans/photos etc which are read by a far bigger audience.

Pook – cool, I’ll do Edale-Cavedale today 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Chris, dropped you an email the other day. Did you get it?

qtip

I really don’t understand why anyone would ride sections like Derwent Edge at the moment.

a) As others have pointed out, just because it’s knackered doesn’t mean it won’t get worse. You’re not only ruining it for others, but you’re ruining for yourself come drier weather.

b) It’s no fun slogging through boggy sections anyway.

c) There are PLENTY of other options available nearby that don’t suffer in the wet.

SOAP
    Free Member

I asked for local advice the other day, Got nothing…..
    So we will be riding MBR’s route.

hora
    Free Member

There are PLENTY of other options available nearby that don’t suffer in the wet.

Thankfully the Peaks has an abundance of rocky trails too

rob-jackson
    Free Member

you have got local advice – keep off derwent edge/cut throat bridge/shatton moor/and probably hope brink

rob-jackson
    Free Member

hora – Member
    I was up there on Monday -all good. Derwent edge was knackered long time ago. I’m there this aft too

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

wankerish attitude

vertebratetom

I asked for local advice the other day, Got nothing…..

Maybe no-one saw your post?

Here’s a decent all-weather route.

hora
    Free Member

SOAP – why not Jacobs Ladder route? You’ll be frustrated with 3/4’s of the Cut Throat Bridge section. I always avoid riding it as I don’t like parallel ruts that then disapear into thick grit-stone quagmires. On a dry summers evening maybe different but not now.

Jacko maybe you missed my subsequent post:

SOAP- correction. I did your route last monday with two variations- I did Beast instead of Potato alley and I didn’t do Cut throat bridge- all was good.

I mistook Derwent Edge for somewhere else (I’m known for not knowing any names round there properly..).

Anyway. I still have a given-up attitude- if its advertised in every WHSmiths etc etc plus riders who you’ll always see up there why waste your breath? I once saw a pic of a cheeky trail that the bogtrotters had ridden down en-masse.

Ps. Some people need to take a chill pill (or have sex).

oldejeans
    Free Member

+1 for the vertebrate publishing route

SOAP
    Free Member

Just need a GPX of that route now. Thanks.

Pook

Soap – email me and I’ll sort you out.

SOAP
    Free Member

Nice one.. What tyres? Will I die with only 125mm travel? What Cake? 😉

Pook

Rubber ones. No. Walnut or coffee.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Hora – sex at work is a bit of a taboo mate!!

Pook

Depends on your job

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘peak district conditions.’ is closed to new replies.