Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Peak District Accommodation
  • crispo
    Free Member

I am looking to organise a weekend biking to catch up with my mates from university. We are all based all over the country now, Newcastle, London, Preston and then a couple south west way. Thinking the Peak District as it is fairly central for us all.

Was looking to do a couple of rides, a good day out each day, and ideally stay somewhere that we could just ride both loops from the door. So I thought about staying around Edale and riding a Ladybower route one day and then riding Jacobs Ladder the second.

Has anyone stayed in the Youth Hostel in Edale or can anyone else suggest anything similar close by? Would we be better staying in Castleton and putting up with a bit of extra road to get to these routes?

Alternatively anywhere else in the Peaks with two good loops rideable from one base?

Thanks for any help!

crispo
    Free Member

Bit of an afternoon bump. Anybody know much about Castleton? Thinking this could be the better option.

BadlyWiredDog

The YHA at Edale is fine but a long way from a pub. There’s a well-regarded bunkhouse in Bamford – close to Ladybower – that would probably suit. Castleton is nice enough, but tends to be overrun by tourists in summer. For riding, all those places are fine, as is Hope.

scruff
    Free Member

From Castleton you have a mile (ish) in either direction of tarmac to warm the legs up before it goes upwards. All the visitors leave by 5pm.

peachos
    Free Member

a big group of us stayed at pindale farm bunkhouse a few weeks ago. cheap n cheerful, perfectly situated for the riding you want to do, only a short roll or walk to the pubs in hope/castleton and the owner is sound enough. they are cosy alpine style bunks though. camping too. i’d recommend it.

http://www.pindalefarm.co.uk/

crispo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will have a look at that one and have a look at Castleton in general. Anyone ever used the YHA in castleton?

doodlebug
    Free Member

Crispo – One of the best types of accommodation for cyclist and large groups in the Peaks, we have booked it as sole use many, many times.

http://findabunkhouse.co.uk/#/homestead-and-cheesehouse/4532549127

In the center of Bamford, it has very high standards, it’s cheap and its in a farm. Don’t forget your milk and eggs from the owner for the morning fryups 😀

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Peak District Accommodation’ is closed to new replies.