Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • PAYE question
  • UrbanHiker
    Free Member

If I currently work for 2 different employers, both paying tax via PAYE. If I resign from one, can the other one tell I’ve resigned from the 1st one?

Trying to be a wee bit deceitful and wondering what my chances of getting away with it are.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Assuming that you’ve told HMRC that you are working for two employers, your tax code should reflect this fact i.e. one company will be applying your tax free alloance and the other one won’t. If you are resigning from the company that has your tax free allowance applied to it then it will transfer to the other one and a canny emplyer might pick up on this. If you are resigning from the company that doesn’t have any tax free allowance applied then I can’t see how they could find out, unless someone specifically tells them.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Or you may have two tax codes, one for each employer, each will be using the code based on that portion of your tax free allowance. Get a payslip and see what tax code they’re each using.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Under the new RTI system. HMRC will be informed that you have left an employer via the full payment submission. HMRC will then provide another tax code to the current employer so that your allowance is utilised in full. Best to get the code checked by your new employer which they will need you P45 from the previous employer to calculate correctly.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Pay slips from both employers quote tax code of BR. I’m guessing, base rate, in which case its unlikely to change when I leave one company?

gonefishin
    Free Member

BR is an emergency code that charges at 20% but doesn’t apply any tax free allowance. So unless you are in the 40% tax bracket you are paying too much tax. Contact HMRC and get it sorted would be my advice.

unklehomered
    Free Member

As above, neither employer has received a tax code for you.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

To be honest, a bit of confusion suits me fine. It means the employer I’m staying with wont be able to work out I’ve left the other company, and I can enjoy my summer working only part time 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Perhaps a bit leftfield, but had you considered that it isn’t either employers’ right to make you work longer hours if you don’t want to and therefore you could just tell them what you have done and carry on working the hours you are happy with.

Just a thought like.

craigxxl
    Free Member

You need to sort out your tax code as you’re not using your tax allowance. If this was going before 5th April make sure you claim back your overpaid tax.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘PAYE question’ is closed to new replies.