Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Parts – feel like i need parts!!!
  • sarell
    Free Member

Evening,

I hope you’re all well.
    I’ve had a long time off bikes, injury sent me to motorbikes etc

But after a good 8 months back on an e-bike I want to tart it up a bit!
    It’s a merida e 120 and is stock;
    runs Pike forks,
    XT groupset, discs and the Di2 setup
    has a reverb dropper
    Maxxis 2.8’s on some nice rolling DT swiss wheels.

Question is – what’s a good upgrade – probably just bling I guess – what would you do (I realise its a can of worms questions) just nothing out there ‘inspires’ me to buy it……

Any suggestions welcome

All the best

tomhoward

What bits don’t you like? What wheels, specifically, does it have? What’s your budget?

sarell
    Free Member

Hi pal,

Well that’s kind of it, it rides perfectly, rolls well brakes are reliable etc
    Doesn’t need anything, but feel like I want to treat it to something!

I read on here last week about properly setting the fork up and rear shock – went to cannock this Sunday and really liked how she felt.

nothing i’d say I need to replace – maybe bars for a firmer set – if it’s possible
    It’s only running the stock bars and stem.

Thanks for the reply

tomhoward

Hope cranks in the colour of choice? Then other shiny hope bits to match?

sarell
    Free Member

that’s not a bad thought
    Just seen on the home page some nukeproof carbon bars!
    could be interesting also!

Thanks pal

ThePinkster

How about some nice fancy carbon bars, perhaps Renthal or Hope, or just some grips to improve the feel?

Is the saddle as comfortable as it could be? Hard to recommend one as they’re so butt specific but it’s amazing what getting just the right saddle can do to a ride

tomhoward

What do you mean by firmer bars? You’ll not get much stiffer than Enve M7, in 35mm flavour

funkmasterp

All the anodised Hope bits. Make your bike look like a Quality Street!

ton

1 x 12spd shimano is nice. i know a bloke who is splitting a bike with this on.

tomhoward

1 x 12spd shimano is nice. i know a bloke who is splitting a bike with this on.

Not really an upgrade on a di2 equipped ebike though?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My first upgrade is usually Ti stem and faceplate bolts as I hate them being the only bolts that usually go rusty.
    Followed by Ti calliper bolts.

jkomo

Coil shock and big brakes.
    Or save your money till something breaks.

Swirly
    Free Member

1st world problem ;o)

Maybe some dice valve caps?

Glad it’s got you back riding again.

mcnultycop

Hire a Shockwiz?

nickdavies

You don’t need parts. I used to be a tart, now I’ve literally just ordered a drivetrain for the turbo bike and it’s the first bike purchase I’ve made in over 12 months. Cheap biking is loads better!

Spend the money on petrol and accommodation for a weekend somewhere new and give it a proper thrashing!

damascus
    Free Member

I want to tart it up a bit!

Well that’s kind of it, it rides perfectly, rolls well brakes are reliable etc

Doesn’t need anything

Sounds like you need a new bike N+1.

May I suggest one without an E in front of it? Perhaps a road bike for added fitness?

BearBack
    Free Member

Kashima would go nicely….

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t just buy stuff for the sake of it.

tomhoward

Don’t just buy stuff for the sake of it.

I like a bit of bling as much as the next man, but if there’s nothing wrong with what you have, I’m kind of with this…

davosaurusrex

I would get rid of the 2.8 tyres first, I put a Maxxis DHR2 2.8 on the back of my ebike and it was horrible, vague with weak sidewalls. 2.6s with a decent strength carcass seem a good compromise on ebikes. Other than that have a bit more of a think of what you are trying to achieve as otherwise you’re changing things for the sake of it as others have said

sharkattack

Sounds like you’d be wasting your money.

Book a weekend away and go ride somewhere new. The options are endless if you dont have to worry about the uphill sections.

Then when you wear out those big balloon tyres replace them with something smaller and stiffer.

sarell
    Free Member

Morning,

Thanks for the replies.
    And also confirming what I think I already knew, I guess the reason I asked is because I don’t need owt!

Unfortunately I need an e-bike, a crash a long time ago has torn the muscles in me nuts – it is bloody painful if I ride a standard MTB
    Though I have turned down the eco setting to be practically no support – but it gives enough to stop me nuts bleeding.
    On a hill with a 24kg e-bike I am sometimes tempted to put it in trail mode – but then I wouldn’t feel like i’d earnt the descent!

Thanks for the replies and confirming what I kind of thought too!

All the best

sharkattack

On a hill with a 24kg e-bike I am sometimes tempted to put it in trail mode – but then I wouldn’t feel like i’d earnt the descent!

Don’t be soft. Do you also fill your car boot with bags of cement to make it work harder?

If I had an e-bike I’d be doing burnouts everywhere.

breninbeener

It sounds like the bike wants for nothing, but…..

With some money to spend you can try some different grios and maybe some carbon bars?

Also my recent experience with things like Debonair air shaft or Luftcappe or custom tune for Pikes may improve your ride? Also depending on the rate of your rear suspension a glitzy coil shock or change of aircan volume may make a difference.

A service for any of the suspension components is also a quantifiable improvement!

Regards

Ian

the00
    Free Member

New tyres and grips if you want to treat a bike but it doesn’t need upgrades. New cables too.

sarell
    Free Member

Don’t be soft. Do you also fill your car boot with bags of cement to make it work harder?
    If I had an e-bike I’d be doing burnouts everywhere.

Yeah I get what you mean.
    But it’s the legs that have to work harder and I do seem to like to punish myself!

sarell
    Free Member

Ian,

Thanks for the reply.
    I’ve just stripped the forks for a service and grips have been replaced as last set wore out.

Though it doesn’t need owt – i’ll leave it for now.
    But I have decided to make a tool box from a jerry can – it’s a new one I’ve not used

I’ll build it to hold;
    Allen Keys
    Torx Keys
    Tubeless repair kit
    Gas Canisters – and adpater
    Shock Pump
    Chain lube
    GT85
    Spare Pads
    Chain links

I think it should be the gear for a weekend away

Thanks guys

PS – if i’m building one happy to build more!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Parts – feel like i need parts!!!’ is closed to new replies.