Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Paranoia or justified caution?
  • clanton
    Free Member

We’re putting our house up for sale and having a viewing day weekend after next. Things is I am feeling paranoid about the viewers seeing the bike shed. There’s currently 13 bikes in there (between the wife and me) and I really don’t fancy the thought of someone scoping them out and coming back to help themselves….

They are all locked into ground anchors, and it is a fairly secure brick shed. The prospective buyers will all be screened to a certain extent but still feeling unhappy about the thought! Don’t really have anywhere else to store them for the day…..

Am I just being ridiculous? Can I leave the shed locked and not let anyone look inside or is that just stupid?

chakaping
    Free Member

You could certainly leave it locked and reveal the contents if anyone is serious enough to ask for a second viewing.

NZCol

Hard one, had the same at a prior property. We took good photos when empty then left it locked during open homes, nobody cared.

tomhoward

Wouldn’t have even crossed my mind TBH, is that a thing? Pose as a house buyer to scope out a house for potential robbery?

tonyd

We viewed loads of houses in the last 12 months and it’s not uncommon for the shed/garage to be locked with no access. We haven’t even been into the garage at the house we’re in the process of buying, and I consider the garage to be the most important ‘room’ in the house!

Blankets up on the windows, leave it locked.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Buyers might think you’re a freak for having 13 bicycles but they won’t come back and nick them.

heavyman
    Free Member

Can’t you ‘borrow’ a neighbours garage for the day, put them in there, if they get pinched claim off their house insurance (maybe not)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

throw a tarp over it all

emac65
    Free Member

They’re there to view the house,not your shed & it’s contents…Show them around the house,just say & that’s the shed…..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you did that to me I’d still ask to see inside, it’s part of what you are buying, if you can fit 13 bikes inside then it must be a decent size. If your not showing it then what are you hiding? damp/rot etc.

Just cover them up.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Paranoid or what, 🙂

Seriously though think about it for a second, how would they know you have a bike shed with 13 bikes unless they were stalking you / reading your posts on a forum! And if they are the type of people to be casing the joint they’ll be looking at a lot more than your bike shed i would wager.

If it is a concern keep the shed locked unless someone asks / is on a second viewing, I didn’t look in the shed of the flat I’m buying until the fourth visit and then found a cement mixer!?

organic355
    Free Member

Am I just being ridiculous?

with 13 bikes for 2 people, Yes, yes you are being ridiculous.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

take some photo’s when empty or a video of it, and say you have some confidental work related engineering , or a car engine all in bits etc etc..and disorgansied ..or you are improving something for them in it and do not want to put them off until it’s finished or something your working on…. Be paranoid.

They may not care at all…

midlifecrashes

I bought midlifetowers without seeing in one of the bedrooms, the seller had lost the key. I drilled the lock a couple of days after moving in. The garage was mostly empty for viewings, but when we got the keys it was full of crap they couldn’t be bothered clearing from the house.

I’d not bother letting them in the shed, if they want the house it won’t be a problem, and they can have a look on second or third viewings. You could tell folk it’s full of all the stuff from decluttering if it isn’t obvious it’s bikes by looking at the rest of the house.

messiah
    Free Member

When I’ve been selling I’ve done the “House Doctor” thing and shoved a load of crap from the house into the garage and shed. The house looks better for it but you can’t show the garage or shed without making excuses. As above, shove blankets over them so they could be anything and nobody will bat an eyelid.

imnotverygood

13 bikes? That’s an unlucky number. I’d buy another if I were you.

weeksy

Mine is in the office in the back of my car today as we had a house viewing earlier today. Partly for keeping the place looking tidy and partly for security.

so no… i don’t think it’s unreasonable.

cinnamon_girl

Blimey, that is a lot! I understand what you’re saying. Used to cover mine up but that was in a garage. Did emphasise how secure the garage door was.

People will need to see inside but I’d say you’re within your rights to refuse access unless you accompany them. I never gave the estate agent the key for my garage on the basis that my contents insurance could be affected.

clubber
    Free Member

I had exactly the same concerns recently 🙂

So I didn’t give the estate agent the keys to the garage so he couldn’t show people. But it was ok, Mrs Clubber gave him the key instead 😕

pondo

I’d go along with cover em up, maybe put them in someone else’s garage for the day (but then, moving all of them at the same time will really show a passer-by how many og the thing’s you’ve got!). Do you know anyone with a big van you can borrow? If you’re in the house for the duration, maybe chuck at least some of them in there?

Stevelol
    Free Member

Are they all grouped together?

Cover them with a sheet, the mankier the better, chuck some dirt on it so it looks like it’s been there for ages, maybe dump some empty cardboard boxes on top, the idea is it needs to look like there’s nothing of value under there.

Think Joey in friends.

clanton
    Free Member

Come to think of it – there are only ten bikes in the brick shed, the rest are in the other shed – and are the old commuters so not worried about those really.

Thanks for replies – going to keep the shed locked I think!

bellefied
    Free Member

Come to think of it – there are only ten bikes in the brick shed, the rest are in the other shed – and are the old commuters so not worried about those really.

Thanks for replies – going to keep the shed locked I think!

😆

never mind how many bikes have you got, how many sheds have you got?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Paranoia or justified caution?’ is closed to new replies.