Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Paid to ride – bike mileage expenses
  • faustus

Just checked my expenses approval, and I got my first ever bike mileage paid. I can only claim for going to sites other than my designated workplace, but I recently cycled 48 miles to one of our offices and decided to claim. My company offers 20p a mile for cycle journeys, so I got £9.60 for my efforts!

It’s worth asking your employer about this, as it has made me think about riding to off-site meetings more often. 20p a mile is a pretty decent rate too and makes shorter journeys worthwhile – i used a screenshot of my gps route as a ‘receipt’. It’s meant to be for wear and tear, but more of it probably goes on food!

Anyone else do this much?

molgrips
    Free Member

I can commute in to my office in Bristol by bike – that’s an 84 mile round trip and would in theory net me £12, going by HMRC’s 15p/mile.

However I’m not generally required to be there so I am not sure they’d cough up 🙂

pondo

I think that’s great. I have a friend who works for a company that offers their employees something like three quid for every day they cycle to work – few extra quid, just for getting on the bike and leaving the car at home, I’m all for it. 🙂

faustus

Wow, I cycle to work most days, and would happily accept donations from my employer for that!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep, my office base is 3.8 miles from home, but my team are split over 3 different sites. One of which is 35 miles each way. They will pay me the normal 45ppm to ride it, rather than drive, so I plan to ride it once a week.

Edited to add, we also do the whole ‘green miles’ to work thing, so they also pay £3 a day for people who ride to work rather than drive.

somouk
    Free Member

That’s a good incentive and a good rate of return for riding.

Won’t suit everyone but city workers could make some good money that way.

pondo

Edited to add, we also do the whole ‘green miles’ to work thing, so they also pay £3 a day for people who ride to work rather than drive.

I think that’s really cool, didn’t realise more places did it. Is it like a government scheme, or anything?

faustus

I love the sound of being paid to ride to work, but I can see my work coming back and saying that it wouldn’t be fair to people who walk or take public transport, which is jut as ‘green’…which is a fair point.

And just to show-off I canoed into work the other day (i live on a boat and work is on the river) and that’s a green way to get to work that doesn’t get listed much!

njee20
    Free Member

I went to college with a guy who used to kayak to college. Worked out for him, he went on to become a world champion. Handy on a bike too.

I’ve often wondered about this, I’m officially based in our London office, but try to work from our Horsham office, as I live 9 miles away. Technically I can claim expenses for travelling to Horsham, as it’s not my normal place of work, never done it though, as I work here through choice and convenience!

MoreCashThanDash

Civil service cycle rate is 20p per mile. I’m tempted, as I live near Derby and cover the Peak District for work.

Suspect my boss may have to consider the drop in my mileage claims against tbe drop in productivity. 136 mile round trip tomorrow, wouldn’t get very far in a day if I was doing it by bike!

edlong
    Free Member

I can commute in to my office in Bristol by bike – that’s an 84 mile round trip and would in theory net me £12, going by HMRC’s 15p/mile.

HMRC approved rate for cycling is 20p / mile, but not for travelling to your normal place of work, so they pay you to do that, it should all be taxable.

They will pay me the normal 45ppm to ride it, rather than drive, so I plan to ride it once a week.

You should be paying tax on the additional 25 p / mile (45-20)

[/accountant]

_daveR
    Free Member

As an employer, is there any sort of deductible allowance I can use to pay an employee for cycling to work?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think you’re entitled to be paid for cycling to work normally. It’s instead of normal travelling expenses to somewhere other than your normal place of work.

So where you’d pay me 45p a mile to drive, or reimburse my train ticket, you’d pay me 20p a mile for cycling instead.

wallop

Depends on your employer – my last place paid commuting mileage (car or bike), but it was taxed.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Out of curiosity and because I know nothing about these things, could this be applied if you were self employed? Ie as a gardener cycling between jobs.

bruneep

I know of someone who cycles between jobs instead of using car, but still claims the .45p per mile. Should I snitch on him?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Paid to ride – bike mileage expenses’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM