Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Potential clutch issue with VW Bora?
  • dooge
    Free Member

Hey all,

Just a bit of advice on my new purchase, a Y reg Bora. From when I picked it up Sunday it has had a problem. I think I know what it is but wanted to make sure before I take it back to the dealer to be sorted.

When in 3rd for example, sitting at 2000rpm and you accelerate hard the car revs then launchs forward, as if its catching up with itself. I believe its the clutch plate wearing out but not quite gone but I might be wrong?

Also, noticed the clutch pedal wasent returning properly last night, but it hasent done it since. Im guessing thats an issue with the master cylinder but these engines have notorious problems with dual mass flywheels, but a flywheel issue shouldnt affect the physical use of the clutch surely?

Any helps would be appreciated!

Doug

Taff
    Free Member

Sounds like a sticky clutch from what you say but the pedal not returning sounds more like a problem I had with my old 306-sticky cable and worn spring

ridingscared
    Free Member

Master cylinder is leaking, happened on my touran. You’ll find you need to help the pedal return with your foot after a bit, then it just gives up the ghost. And if its diesel beware, mine needed the flywheel as well and cost me £900 from a respected and trusted garage.

bigG
    Free Member

Yup same happened to my Bora TDi 130 after 110k miles. If you’re in central Scotland I can highly recommend someone to do the work for you..

steveh

Not a clutch cable for sure, hydraulic clutch on those cars. Sounds like a cylinder problem to me too.

porter_jamie

the pedal box has an overcentre spring, which helps reduce the pedal effort. if you disconnected the clutch line, and pressed the pedal to the floor it would stay there. you would have to pull the pedal off the floor against the over centre spring until the spring actually went over centre, and then it would snap up to the resting position. reasons for pedal stuck down are loss of fluid past primary seals, in the CMC (clutch master cylinder) or the CSC (concentric slave cylinder), or the clutch pipes leaking. CSC leaks should be obvious – look underneath for damp bell housing. CMC can leak back into res without leaking into footwell.
    CMC = not so bad to fix, its in the pedal box. CSC = very bad to fix, it’s a gearbox off job.
    change the CSC anyway if the gearbox is coming off. It might be the clutch pressure plate is really weak for some reason, which would also explain the slipping – whatever it’s a gearbox off job.

dooge
    Free Member

Well, normally Id be tearing my hair out however the warranty Ive got with the car for 6 months is pretty comprehensive and covers the master, slave, clutch, flywheel and various ancillary parts. I only bought it on Sunday so its covered and isnt down to wear and tear already…

Thanks for the advice gents, very helpful as always.

Doug

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Potential clutch issue with VW Bora?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM