• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Jonno.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Oxenhope to Haworth routes
  • scottleehogan

I’m going to be staying in Oxenhope this weekend and the wife wants to go to Haworth, so I thought I could plan ride between the two and meet her there. Anyone got any suggestions? I know it’s not that far, so I guess a sort of loop around the hills that would last around an hour or two would be good.

Thanks – Scott

stwhannah

Not quite my neck of the woods so others may have better suggestions! The catchwater drain is not a ROW, if you care about that. Nesting bird season so be a bit careful across the moor (I had a close call with a bunch of chicks on the path here!). The descent off High Brown Knoll is about 30seconds of fun on an MTB, a walk on a gravel bike. As a whole, I’d go hard tail rather than enduro sled for this route. It’s probably still a bit wet up there on the moor to gravel bike it without frustration. Haworth Old Road is just the right level of exciting on a gravel bike if you decide to do that instead.

IMG_8095

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think Hannahs suggestion is a good one given the time / not knowing the area.

There are lots of very nice cheeky trails in the area but thats difficult when you dont know them!

If you do get any more time look at the Bingley Bash for other ideas of riding in the area

nickc

Hannah’s route is about the best one if you don’t know the area well, I’d just say it’s very easy to get turned around on High Brown Knoll, it’s criss-crossed with wee paths and sheep tracks, just pay attention to where you are and where you’re going.  Echo her thoughts about the decent, bear in mind that this route goes down a footpath to the Lumb Hole Falls, (the waterfall on the map) which is also “exciting” on anything other than a full suss.

stwhannah

@nickc The descent to Lumb Falls is off to the left of the Haworth Old Road. This route skips it – that’s a very technical route with no fun climb out. I wouldn’t add it in – anything that would give you a fighting chance of riding down it would be no fun for the rest of the route!

nickc

Fair comment.

kelvin

this route goes down a footpath to the Lumb Hole Falls

Hannah’s route misses that bit out (and the ace off-road blast after the climb up from the falls)… it’s just off the left of the map shown.

Simon

If you have a little more time, up Dark Lane from Hebden Rd to the top road, go left then right onto the BW at Upwood caravan park. Go onto Black Moor turn immediately left then right at the bottom of the little descent, go around the back of the quarry and come out on Halifax Road, turn right then left at the junction towards Cullingworth then immediately right to pick up the Calder/Aire link. Follow the Calder/Aire all the way to St Ives Estate. At the Golf club go left and up to Altar Lane, go all the way up Altar Lane turn left onto Keighley Rd then right onto the BW over the moor to the Guide Pub. Go straight on at the cross roads, after the wiggly bit turn right up the track past Ashgrove Farm, at the bottom of the descent turn left and continue until you get back to Bingley Road, turn right. At the main road take Hardgate Lane (v steep) to the top and then straight across onto Brow Moor, cross Brow Moor and drop into Haworth.

rockhopper70

No route advice per se, but I have a couple of riding buddies over that area and one of them nearly lost his bike to three balaclava clad scrotes who jumped out of a shogun and started to approach him.  He got away and the other lad has reported multiple drivebys of an Audi a2 with the occupants definitely checking his bike while he was out for a solo ride.  Both e-bikes.  Keep your wits about you if you are on your own, and on the road.

Simon

Where was this?

nickc

@rockhopper70 WT actual F

Where, when? Is your mate ok?

rockhopper70

I think it was near Crossroads area. Both ok, but very mindful.

Edit, Black A3

Jonno

I would say that Hannah’s route up there is going to be very wet in places and you would be better following Simon’s advice if you don’t want a complete mud fest.

You could also try a loop round Ogden but again could be a muddy mess across the moor, haven’t ventured up there in a while so not sure how much it has dried out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.