• This topic has 1,152 replies, 133 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by zokes.
Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,153 total)
  • Overtaking.
  • Aristotle
    Free Member

Who has queueing/overtaking rights in this scene typical of my own commute?

Tom-B
    Free Member

🙂 at the tag!

tinybits
    Free Member

I’m now totally convinced that moly is trolling. Story subtly changes to reflect mood, including whether its his chance, or whether he would have been unable to have tried and the frequency of this happening.

Well trolled that man!

Unless you’re not in which case; OMFG!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Of he is, he’s trolled the same before……… Probably more than once…..

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

That’s shit driving. So you’re the idiot sat just off the back corner of the lorry swerving in and out all the time – good job.

Hahaaa! Gotcha! Now you’re showing your lack of knowledge. I’m not going to explain it to you, because I’m not a teacher, but go and get some training and learn… Open your mind. You do this all the time, on loads of driving threads and I’ve come to the conclusion you’re scared of learning something new, maybe you even think you have noting to learn? I dunno.
    Go and get some training if you’re as keen a driver as you profess to be, RoSPA, IAM, something like that. It worth it, I can assure you.
    But suffice to say what I’m saying is easily possible when you know how. If it was me behind you I seriously doubt you’d notice anything happening until I came past a lot earlier than you thought was possible. 🙂

PS, You’re not even close to guessing how its done. Not even playing the same game, never mind in the same ballpark. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

I come round the bend, see a short straight that my car can’t use, but his can, so he takes it.

So whats the problem? He should wait behind until you encounter a straight your car can actually overtake in, just so you can be first to overtake whatever is holding you both up?
    How quaint.
    How ridiculous.

aracer
    Free Member

Of he is, he’s trolled the same before……… Probably more than once…..

It’s a macro-troll.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm,has he now?

Solo
    Free Member

😯

This thread still going ?

Different day, same shit.

😆

phil.w
    Free Member

If it’s a bendy road and I’m behind a slow car, I’ll be planning to execute an overtake immediately after each bend, and I’ll start the overtake before the bend. It might not be possible, so I’ll cancel and try again.
    So if you’re sat waiting to see a space before you overtake, sorry, if its me behind you, you’re waaaaaay too slow sunshine

So i’m not the only one that does this.

Not many people seem to, which is why I get to pass them in the 3ton van. 🙂

Solo
    Free Member

which is why I get to pass them in the 3ton van.

LMFAO !

Suggestions on the subject of overtaking, from Van Man.
    Priceless !

😆

IanW
    Free Member

Taken the wife to work this morning, 30 mile round trip rural roads. Managed to get overtaken three times-

– two into one bit of road, Im sat behind half a dozen cars, BMW goes past us all with no where to go , crosses hatched section into oncoming traffic, flashed by other cars who have to swerve.

– Coming back on open road through fc land, Im doing 55ish, car behind makes consider and safe overtake.

– Further down the same road the car that overtook me and half a dozen others are sat behind tracked farm vehicle wider than single lane. Road ahead clears and they begin to overtake. I look in my mirror to see a focus overtaking the three cars behind me and then me causing the car in front (the previous overtaker) to swerve and bring the whole presetion to a standstill.

Eventually we all get past, curiosley though at the next town I pass the speedy car and the less speedy but safer drivers when they stopped roughly 5 seconds ahead of me.

One morning, three overtakes, at least one illegal, two dangerous and none effective.

rebel12
    Free Member

One morning, three overtakes, at least one illegal, two dangerous and none effective.

I bet they had fun though . . .

shermer75
    Free Member

Time for a break:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaZRKUxFLSY[/video]

piemonster

Have they introduced overtaking training in driving lessons?
    How could they instructor fail them on something they have never been taught?

Instructors in 2008 where teaching such stuff. Never came up in the assessment though.

Rush hour, easiest time to take a test. Only did about 4 miles.

timber

Just to add, my driving instructor was well known for using the dual controls to down shift and flicking the indicator on if he thought you were mincing and could overtake.
    Never experienced this myself, he was more worried about me maintining NSL rather easily along the country lanes close to home.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

No it’s not. I come round the bend, see a short straight that my car can’t use, but his can, so he takes it.

Then the next time there’s space for two cars, they both go (at the speed of the first one) and I can’t.
    This has been round & round – the other driver was able to overtake safely where you couldn’t…or where you may have been able to but failed to recognise the opportunity quickly enough.
    Reading the road isn’t just watching the vehicle ahead, it is an all-round observation…such things as hedges & tree lines can tell you a straight is coming long before you see it on the road itself. If you think that preparing for an overtake means weaving about behind another vehicle, take the advice on here & get some advanced training. You can only decide if it is viable to overtake if you can see the road ahead clearly…but that doesn’t mean you can’t be preparing to overtake.

molgrips
    Free Member

the other driver was able to overtake safely where you couldn’t…or where you may have been able to but failed to recognise the opportunity quickly enough.

Yes, he was able to overtake ME not the lorry. And in doing so, he’s scuppered me for the next opportunity I could have taken. Over and over again I tell you the same things, but you don’t listen.

just so you can be first to overtake whatever is holding you both up?

Yes I ought to be first, because I was there first. It’s a queue.

The best argument most people seem to be able to summon against me is ‘tough shit’. Which just proves my argument really, that people are arseholes.

xiphon
    Free Member

So you’re annoyed at people seeing an opportunity to overtake a slower driver, in the same way your looking for an opportunity to overtake the vehicle in front?

(The slower driver being YOU)

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not the slower driver, I’m a speed limit driver, the lorry is the 40mph slow driver. If they want to subsequently pass me doing 90 then whatever.

Not seeing the sense in what you are saying.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Why is everyone in such a hurry? Surely if you love your cars and driving so much a few minutes more sat in traffic is a bonus? Why not just do strava for motorists? You could compare your cretin levels.

IanW
    Free Member

Does anyone have an official reference to this “making good progress” requirement to drive at the speed limit.

New to me and would be dangerous on many NSL roads.

Is it actually just a bad interpretation of the driving test tick box for hesitancy and progress?

freddyg
    Free Member

the other driver was able to overtake safely where you couldn’t…or where you may have been able to but failed to recognise the opportunity quickly enough.

Yes, he was able to overtake ME not the lorry. And in doing so, he’s scuppered me for the next opportunity I could have taken. Over and over again I tell you the same things, but you don’t listen.

When the other driver was overtaking you, if the opportunity was there and safe, while he was doing this you could have already been ahead of him, overtaking the lorry. Unless he’s taken a ridiculous risk (and there’s no mitigating for that) you should have had a couple of seconds head-start to begin your manoeuvre. If you didn’t recognise the opportunity, then please accept you may need some assistance in doing so. There is no shame in this. Observation and planning.

just so you can be first to overtake whatever is holding you both up?

Yes I ought to be first, because I was there first. It’s a queue.

No it isn’t. Hang on, is this the five minute argument or the full half hour? 🙂

The best argument most people seem to be able to summon against me is ‘tough shit’. Which just proves my argument really, that people are arseholes.

Again, no it isn’t. The best argument seems to be get some advanced training.

molgrips
    Free Member

if the opportunity was there and safe, while he was doing this you could have already been ahead of him, overtaking the lorry.

Well not when he’s both in a fast car and is taking greater risks.

People do take lots of risks when overtaking, you know. Are you saying that everyone out there is safe and sensible when overtaking?

The best argument seems to be get some advanced training.

Are you serious? This has nothing to do with my overtaking ability, it’s about courtesy. That’s what I’ve been trying to say for the last 18 **** pages.

Or are you trying to say I should buy a faster car and learn to take risks like speedy man does?

KennySenior
    Free Member

Just because they’re all more competent drivers than you and can judge the situation better doesn’t make them all discourteous.

IanW
    Free Member

In fact the highway codes says exactly the opposite…

Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit
    take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution
    where there are junctions, be prepared for road users emerging
    in side roads and country lanes look out for unmarked junctions where nobody has priority
    be prepared to stop at traffic control systems, road works, pedestrian crossings or traffic lights as necessary
    children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you.

And

Take extra care on country roads and reduce your speed at approaches to bends, which can be sharper than they appear, and at junctions and turnings, which may be partially hidden. Be prepared for pedestrians, horse riders, cyclists, slow-moving farm vehicles or mud on the road surface. Make sure you can stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You should also reduce your speed where country roads enter villages.

Solo
    Free Member

Over and over again I tell you the same things, but you don’t listen.

Grips, its reading, not listening. And yes, they’re all reading and they are comprehending. But they are pretending not to understand, so as to Troll you and this thread. You know this, which kinda makes me think you like receiving a bit of a kicking at the hands of the STW critics.
    😉

Dancing Banana, anyone ?

freddyg
    Free Member

You forgot to quote my comment in whole, therefore losing some context. Here’s the rest:

Unless he’s taken a ridiculous risk (and there’s no mitigating for that)

If he has, then so be it. He’s a nobber.

However, the scenario has changed a number of times over the last 3 (three!!!) days. Sometimes it was a dangerous manoeuvre, sometimes it was a move only a faster car could carry out.

The best argument seems to be get some advanced training.

Are you serious? This has nothing to do with my overtaking ability, it’s about courtesy. That’s what I’ve been trying to say for the last 18 **** pages.

Or are you trying to say I should buy a faster car and learn to take risks like speedy man does?

Am I serious? Yes. Given your scenario, that you’ve described a number of people here have all pointed out that the overtaking opportunity could have been approached differently with better planning.

it’s about courtesy

Agreed. Courtesy on the road is important. However, when another road user spots an opportunity sooner than you did, let them get on with it.

singletrackbiker
    Free Member

Mol – somewhere waaaay back in this thread you acknowledged that if there were drivers ahead of you who appeared to not wish to overtake (or were unable in that particular place), then you would pass them too.
    If speedy driver looked, realised you weren’t going to overtake & subsequently passed you, is he doing anything different to what you yourself are prepared to do.
    Do you really expect everybody to wait (courteously) for you to decide to eventually overtake? How does speedy driver know you are intending to overtake at the next straight? Does he know that you know the road ahead & are waiting for that opportunity? Does speedy driver also know the road ahead & realise that from his starting position it may be too much a stretch to clear everything in one move, so safely moves up the line of traffic, splitting his overtaking into safe sections & allowing him to clear the slower moving traffic without endangerment of life?
    Why is someone overtaking you taking risks? How a particular person perceives the road ahead, the view of traffic, their road positioning, preparation & anticipation can differ dramatically & massively affect what is considered a safe overtake, even with identical vehicles. If speedy driver responded faster and has greater vehicle performance, that overtake you can’t make becomes a simple matter of slipping by.

Solo
    Free Member

In fact the highway codes says

Oh !, its, its, its as if TJ were here.

phil.w
    Free Member

This has nothing to do with my overtaking ability, it’s about courtesy

I understand what you’re saying. Though I would like to know how the discourteous driver is supposed to know you intend to overtake?

I’m assuming you haven’t already got your indicator on at the point Mr. Discourteous overtakes.

So in his eyes, as he’s had time to start his overtake, you haven’t tried to, making you are just another slow moving vehicle. Like the one you are trying to pass.

scaredypants

Does anyone have an official reference to this “making good progress” requirement to drive at the speed limit.
    New to me and would be dangerous on many NSL roads.
    Is it actually just a bad interpretation of the driving test tick box for hesitancy and progress?

It’s adoption of some bullshit macho terminology that the fuzz use for “ragging the arse off your new patrol car whilst off duty in a built up area”

oh, and why will no-one think of the lorry driver(and his children) in all this ?
    When you’ve all (assuming mol’ gets out of the way eventually) overtaken him and then stop at some lights, he won’t get through before they change back to red – and IT’S NOT FAIR 😥

Solo
    Free Member

richmtb

By and large people in this country don’t overtake.

We are a nation of tailgaters.

So its reasonably safe to assume when I arrive at the back of a small queue that I will be the only one overtaking. However I would never overtake someone who is signalling to overtake. If someone has done this to molgrips then they are a dick. Although it would be nice if drivers of cars with glacial acceleration would check their mirrors before going for an overtake – but hey its not the end of the world if I have to wait until my next opportunity to overtake.

It might be possible that I have inadvertently “stolen” someone’s go at overtaking in the past if so I apologise. Lacking either clairvoyance or precognition it is difficult to divine the future intentions of other drivers so I normally just get on with it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just because they’re all more competent drivers than you and can judge the situation better doesn’t make them all discourteous.

No it’s really not the issue.

As has been covered, there are two reasons speedy man might pass me when I am behind the lorry.

a) he has a faster car – we’ve already established that this allows shorter spaces to be taken.
    b) he’s taking a greater risk.

Now, neither of those things give him the right to force me to wait longer than I would otherwise have waited had he not been there.

By and large people in this country don’t overtake.

Not true at all, at least not where I drive. Maybe 80% of people in my experience will be wanting to pass a 40mph car or lorry.

Solo
    Free Member

It might be possible that I have inadvertently “stolen” someone’s go at overtaking in the past if so I apologise.

He said he was sorry, everyone.

Group hug now.

Solo
    Free Member

As has been covered, there are two reasons speedy man might pass me when I am behind the lorry.

a) he has a faster car – we’ve already established that this allows shorter spaces to be taken.
    b) he’s taking a greater risk.
    c) he needs the loo
    d) his dog needs the loo
    e) hes late for lunch
    f) he drives a van
    g) he knows you are Molgrips

Oh, the list is endless….
    😉

EDIT:
    Like this thread.
    😆

thegreatape
    Free Member

But you weren’t going to overtake there, you were waiting hoping for a longer straight some unknown time in the future. Which they can’t possibly be expected to know, they just see someone declining perfectly good overtaking opportunities, so to them you look like someone who doesn’t want to overtake. And quite reasonably pass you.

phil.w
    Free Member

F) he drives a van

was that for my benefit? 🙂

sent from my Van (while doing 80 in a 50)

molgrips
    Free Member

Which they can’t possibly be expected to know, they just see someone declining perfectly good overtaking opportunities

If they weren’t dicks, they’d realise that normal people in cars that are obvioulsy not fast shouldn’t be taking on tiny spaces. I don’t queue jump generally, only if someone is way back from the lorry and isn’t closing up after corners, looking down the road, or doing anything else that might indicate that they plan to overtake. However I clearly AM planning to overtake, they just blast on by anyway.

Let’s be honest here – the real reason people queue jump is because they can, and they don’t give a shit about anyone else. Isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 1,153 total)

The topic ‘Overtaking.’ is closed to new replies.