Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)
  • Overbidding on house remorse!
  • NZCol

Muddyvole-keep up, try reading.

Greybeard
    Free Member

You have to think at the scale of the purchase. If you paid £5k over the odds for a beer, it would be obviously stupid. For a bike, still stupid, for a car (total cost of ownership) your be annoyed, but for a house, £5k is just part of the negotiation.

kittyr
    Free Member

It’s the deviousness on the part of the sellers that has really made it hard to swallow. E.g. We move in and there’s a handwritten note that said ”when we were moving our stuff out the loft, we noticed some damp patches. You may want to look at that.” – i.e. pleading ignorance, but when we went up there, it was pissing in rain in several areas, there was (old, water stained) cardboard laid to catch leaks, old gaffa tape at base of chimney breast, mastic on areas of the roof felt to try and stave off leaks.

I mean, this is a bit shit – but TBH these things happen with house buying.

Almost all old houses will have got bodgy crap going on and need remedial work to them. Home buyer survey isn’t adequate, but you know that now. Structural next time! Plus electrics and a boiler one.

Every house I have purchased has ended up costing many £k in unplanned remedial work and at the stat of ownership feeling like a really shitty situation… but after a year or so when its all sorted and you’re in your nice home – you will have forgotten the stress and £ and you remember all the positives like the location and layout etc.

kcal

I do recall my dad telling me, some years after the event, that hey had overpaid quite a bit for their last house. I still have possession of the house although both parents now dead – so effectively their last family house.

I think they paid around £6-28k – or even a bit more – back in 1973. Was only about 5 years ago that my mum moved out into sheltered housing. So yes in the scale of things, over time it matters not much.

muddymole
    Free Member

@NZCol all I gleaned from your post was that you got a builder in and his report enabled you to save 500k. Given this is a whacking great sum I was interested as to what needed doing such that the sellers were happy to drop the price so much.

exsee
    Free Member

Wait, you are remorseful because you think you ‘might’ have over bid by between 1 and 2%
    I think it will all be okay in the end. Forget about it.

roger_mellie

Plus they now own this:

Holy moly! 😀

NZCol

In summary a lot bit there are 3 properties involved and one of which needed ‘moved’ as it had been built on someone else’s land. Main house had 260k of remedial work – roof, damp, rot, heating etc. Initial survey raised not a lot.

muddymole
    Free Member

Wow.

I thought they were meant to do damp testing and the like. Did you have a full building survey or just a homebuyer?

To be fair though Guess hard for a surveyor to spot that a house has been built in the wrong place..

Viewing 9 posts - 81 through 89 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Overbidding on house remorse!’ is closed to new replies.