Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Over concerned about a neighbors dog?
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    strange guy with deep issues

I’m not the oddball that thinks dogs should have a right to terrorise people.

richc
    Free Member

Lets look at some other great Texas law’s
    http://1023blakefm.com/stupid-laws-texas/

Mind you all pretty mild considering they are happy to execute children and the mentally ill.

or what about the gun law http://www.policymic.com/articles/46923/5-crazy-facts-about-texas-gun-laws

Mind you they must have got it right as its fine to insist that someone’s dog is put down if you don’t like it.

I’m not the oddball that thinks dogs should have a right to terrorise people.

i really hope you are trolling, if not you have some serious issues that you ought to speak to someone about.

iolo
    Free Member

When did I ever say that? I’ve tried to say there’s two sides to every argument.

iolo
    Free Member

Wanting to set an animal alight with petrol show’s how dis engaged you are with reality. I hope you’re nicer with people. What if someone’s child kicks a ball at you accidentally. Are you going to the nearest Shell?

seosamh77
    Free Member

i really hope you are trolling, if not you have some serious issues that you ought to speak to someone about.

I’m not against dogs, I quite like placid dogs, I just don’t think they should be allowed to show aggression against people.

seosamh77
    Free Member

iolo – Member
    Wanting to set an animal alight with petrol show’s how dis engaged you are with reality. I hope you’re nicer with people. What if someone’s child kicks a ball at you accidentally. Are you going to the nearest Shell?

Nah, it only shows how disengaged you are with sarcasm.

johndoh
    Free Member

Would petrol and a match be a good compromise for you?

How do you make a cat bark?

Cover it in petrol, light it and it’ll go ‘WOOOF’!

seosamh77
    Free Member

johndoh – Member
    Would petrol and a match be a good compromise for you?

How do you make a cat bark?
    Cover it in petrol, light it and it’ll go ‘WOOOF’!hahaha :mrgreen:

richc
    Free Member

I’m not against dogs, I quite like placid dogs, I just don’t think they should be allowed to show aggression against people.

growling doesn’t always mean aggression/intent to attack. Have you never seen a dog playing with a stick or another dog? They growl all the time, its just one form of communication they have. Also attack dogs don’t growl at you before they do what they are trained to do, as that’s wasting air ….

I call troll ….. or retard…. 🙂

ads678

As said a lot of dogs bite.
    But its the attitude of the persons being bit that regularly contributes to this.
    A dog can sense hatred and doesn’t like it.
    This hatred is normally instilled into humans from an early age. When I walked my dog (rip jarvis ) the amount of people who would say to their toddlers stay away from that naughty dog he’ll bite was unbelievable. He was a lab/spaniel cross that was the kindest thing ever.
    Grown men with this in their dna tend to get bit.

This is not 2 side to every story, this is saying that if you are scared of dogs you are more likely to get bitten and rightfully so.

The problem with walking dogs next to people with toddlers or kids in pushchairs is that the dog tends to be right in their face, whereas to us fully grown adults they are not. A dog can very easily hurt a child just by being over zealous, so i think parents are right to be wary. I don’t think it’s right to tell kids that all dogs bite or all are nasty, but it’s definitely right to tell them to be careful around them because all dogs can be unpredictable.

tenfoot

I ran over a cat the other week whilst riding my roadie, broke it’s leg I did.
    It was a sad incident, nothing to do with this thread but I thought I’d share.

Damn 700c wheels

andybrad

Look the simple solution is shoot all dogs…?

Lester
    Free Member

if a dog lover and a dog owner cannot tell that they might have a dog that might bite, and cannot tell when they are going to snap, how is a non dog owner supposed to tell when a dogs growl is aggressive or not. should the onus be on the non dog owner to learn about dogs, or the owner of the dog to more careful?
    ALL DOGS SHOULD BE MUZZLED WHEN THEY GO OUT end of story and everyone gets along.

anagallis_arvensis

I must be really lucky to have reached 40 having spent my life around dogs and have never been bitten.or had my clothes torn or child eaten by a dog.

Lester
    Free Member

i should imagine everyone who has been bitten could say the same every day up until the day they were actually bitten.
    i think what we are saying that dog owners that are experienced ( and misguided) see nothing negative that cant be controlled, and non dog owners ( and the ignorant) dont think the risk is worth it.

how is this for a test, would there be any dog owner who would let there crawling baby go face forward towards a dog at the same level if they werent close enough or quick enough to stop anything happening? I doubt it very much.
    now obviously this baby cant be showing hatred , but most dog owners know that some dogs dont like children and they WILL snap at them

anagallis_arvensis

You’ve lost me Lester whats your point?

iolo
    Free Member

Nobody here says all dogs are saints. Trained dogs under supervision that have never shown aggression ever. I must have walked literally thousands of miles with my dog. Most of the time off the leas as cyclists would catch the lead on a shared use path not using the correct lane.
    We came across many toddlers up to teens.
    Also hours on the beach. Not once did my dog cause a single incident in 14 years. He actually loved kids especially when he threw his ball.
    He was a rescue dog. It broke my heart when he passed away.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not once did my dog cause a single incident in 14 years.

So are you confidently claiming that not once in 14 years did your dog cause a child on one of those beaches to get distressed at the dog getting too close?

iolo
    Free Member

He never bit any one, tore clothes, cause crying, pushed any one over, angry parents screaming at me so no, I can’t recall any distress caused.

johndoh
    Free Member

He never bit any one, tore clothes, cause crying, pushed any one over, angry parents screaming at me so no, I can’t recall any distress caused.

That’s not what I asked though. A child can become very distressed if a dog gets too close. My nephew is terrified of them and it really is not acceptable to be told by the owner of the dog ‘it’s okay he doesn’t bite’ as the dog is sniffing round. If you exercise a dog on a beach you should:

A: Clean up after it no matter the time of year

and

B : Have it suitably under control and that means if it is not on a lead that it will come to heel immediately upon being told

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

some dogs are scary
    some owners don’t have control
    some owners think they have control and don’t
    some owners think they have control of their scary dog and don’t

The problem with walking dogs next to people with toddlers or kids in pushchairs is that the dog tends to be right in their face

quite.

and a lot of dogs don’t really have the required brains to work out that barging past a toddler doesn’t work for the toddler. I know our dog certainly doesn’t.

anagallis_arvensis

A kids took my dogs stick once when she was lay down having a chew. Just walked up unsupervised and took it. Dog followed expe ting it to be thrown. Whe it wasnt she took it back and kid cried like hell. At this point angry dad arrived from about 100m away screaming and swearing. Was pretty funny watching him try and catch a lurcher!

oldgit
    Free Member

Well the police where there today checking the dog from the back garden whilst I was at work, nothing to do with me.

iolo
    Free Member

Will all due respect if he’s terrified of dogs sniffing around there are no dog beaches you can use. Usually the long beaches are split into dog and no dog.
    My dog came immediately and walked to heel when I shouted.

mudshark
    Free Member

I come from one of those doggy families – parents and Grandparents – mostly various gun dogs over the years, many of which worked. My Grandparents dogs were all very well trained and never attacked people but they were very territorial and would bark ferociously at anyone who approached their, rather remote, house. No idea if they could have attacked anyone but they were pretty frightening really and did get into fights with other dogs sometimes.

My parents had soft dogs that were well behaved though once one growled at my baby sister – probably jealous as getting lots of attentioned -and my Dad said do that again and we’ll put you down, didn’t happen again.

So I ain’t scared of dogs but one time I was attacked by an Alsatian that was lying on a verge looking at me as I approached to pass. It suddenly went for me as I passed. I turned towards it, pointing and shouting and it slunk off.

Some dogs attack, some dogs never well for sure but some breeds really do have it in them and given their territorial nature will attack for no reason other than you’re too close to their property.

seosamh77
    Free Member

That 1 dog must be inductive of all dogs! 😆 listen if your dog is placid good on ye.. You’re an example to all others. Not all owners are the same as you though.

anagallis_arvensis

Mrmonkfinger I would add that some people think dogs can be trained to do exactly az they are told all the time and they cant they are animals and like all animals sometimrs do odd things. Having said that many dogs lack even the basics of training.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

aa, if they could be trained like that these kind of threads would be a lot shorter!

johndoh
    Free Member

Will all due respect if he’s terrified of dogs sniffing around there are no dog beaches you can use.

With all due respect… People shouldn’t have their choice of holiday destination dictated to them by dogs and their owners.

🙄

iolo
    Free Member

So if there are sniffing dogs they will be within their rights to be there.

johndoh
    Free Member

So if there are sniffing dogs they will be within their rights to be there.

You really are just being silly in your arguments now.

iolo
    Free Member

Just saying that there is a dog zone and a no dog zone. In the height of summer there are no dogs allowed so dogs are only on the beach for a few winter months in secluded areas. Then someone decides to have a picknick in this dog zone with a child who can’t cope with dogs and complain there’s dogs there.
    Do you see what I’m saying?
    I’m not being argumentative.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

People shouldn’t have their choice of holiday destination dictated to them by dogs and their owners.

Is this what the phrase “straw man argument” means?

oldboy
    Free Member

Love these STW dog threads 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Just saying that there is a dog zone and a no dog zone.

Not sure which beaches you refer to. FWIW, the time I experienced this first hand (two years ago) we were on holiday in Salcombe in Devon (in October), the kids were playing on the beach and there were several instances of dogs running round scaring my nephew and very little in the way of effort from the owners of the dogs to control them.

anagallis_arvensis

My dog runs around beaches and I make very little effort to control her. Obviously I would if a child was obviously distressed but dogs running about beaches that dogs are allowed on are a part of life.

iolo
    Free Member

Barmouth Beach, Black Rock sands, Whistling sands etc etc etc.
    I can understand your point if the owners were unreasonable but me and my dog were nothing but polite.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

there are no dog beaches you can use. Usually the long beaches are split into dog and no dog.

Any correlation with nudist/textile splits?
    Dogs love sossies…

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Over concerned about a neighbors dog?’ is closed to new replies.