Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Oval chain rings … do they work / give an advantage
  • treksuperfly
    Free Member

Im running a 2×10 set up using Sram X0 carbon cranks …. so the question is do they help as in give an advantage compared to round rings , and if so can i get them for my 2×10 set up

qwerty
    Free Member

IMO work best if your riding involves steep climbing, keeps you spinning better under load when ascending. When powering along sections can give an abrupt feel as you get on the gas again. I’m a convert. Use a Works Components on my Race Face Evolve double chainset.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve only used oval rings on a 1x setup. You notice them for about, oh, 30 seconds. After that the only time I’ve genuinely noticed is on tarmac climbs where you get less of the rhythmic quiet, noisy, quiet that you do with circular chainrings so I’m assuming that they are helping to smooth out my pedal stroke and applying the power more evenly.

sam_underhill

I’ve only used them on a 1x setup. To me, it feels like I’ve got my strong legs on.  This assumes you’ve gone for the same number of teeth as a round ring.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What whitestone said. It can’t difficult to test them against round rings and see if there is a wattage advantage.

PS whitestone thanks for the ride/route idea – Sutton Bank yesterday was ace!

convert

Got them on a couple of road bikes and bought specifically when I was trying to continue riding with a dodgy hip. With them I could ride without quite so much pain the next day so I’m guessing it does actually smooths out the power needed a bit i.e. making the over the top part of the pedal action easier.

Getting the front changer setup was harder mind with a bit more risk of a chain drop.

lawman91

I doubt you’ll get them for 2x on an MTB, but I’ve been running a 1x Sram Eagle Oval ring for 6 months now and absolutely love it, I’m totally converted. As other have said you notice them working best on steep, technical climbs, you can just keep on powering and they seem to help improve traction as well, probably due to the smoothness of the power delivery. Elsewhere you don’t really notice them, but as a sadistic weirdo who likes steep, technical climbs I won’t be going back to a round ring.

ElShalimo

I’ve been thinking about getting one for a while as I’ve got a dodgy knee. Do they really help on the hills?

convert

Do they really help on the hills?

In so much as that is when people tend to ride with the highest power output and the lowest cadence then yes. On a time trail bike it’s just as much use when powering along on the flat.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

I put one on my SS commute bike.

I certainly noticed an improvement in terms of the effort required up steep hills. On a round ring I’d be out of the saddle, on the oval I could do them without getting out of the saddle…might be because I’m getting fitter and stronger and lighter (ahem) but hey, any advantage, be it mental or physical is good

docgeoffyjones

making the over the top part of the pedal action easier.

This is what I found especially on steep climbs where I tend to stand up. I also find it easier to stop the wheel spinning out on loose climbs.

kerley
    Free Member

Used one for a while on single speed.  It felt good but didn’t actually make any difference on climbing times.

It also caused excessive loose spots in chain so I went back to a round ring.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Got them on my MTB, don’t really notice them once you’re over the initial odd-ness. Might as well have them as not as there are no downsides…you’re legs don’t work in perfect circles so no reason why you should assume a round chaining is the correct or best shape. I’m going sub-compact on my road bike with oval chain rings so will be interesting if I notice anything with those as my mountain biking is a bit too uppy and downy with very little consistent cadence riding for any length of time, too much variation.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I read recently they add approximately a 6% increase in power over a ride. It was a rough calculation though, so not to be taken as gospel. It was a US university doing the study IIRC.

I’ll see if I can find the article.

Edit: not the same article, but a quick skim read suggests a similar result: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3990898/

treksuperfly
    Free Member

So where can i get them for 2×10 to try

qwerty
    Free Member

Ah – just realized you want to run a double chainset with oval rings. I think that’ll be pricey, not so with 1X. Try looking at Rotor, i think they’re an oddity for road use, rarer for MTB.

convert

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/Vprod4.asp?cat=206

Just first google I found though have bought from Velotech. Doubtless many other options, some probably cheaper.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve read a few times its like having 2 extra teeth for no extra effort

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve read a few times its like having 2 extra teeth for no extra effort

If it really was, then no one would have round chainrings any more.

not the same article, but a quick skim read suggests a similar result:

Not quite

These findings indicate that the oval chainring design, presented here as “Q-rings”, did not significantly influence the physiological response to an incremental exercise test as compared to a conventional chainring.

nemesis
    Free Member

Can’t say I noticed any real difference on a FS and hardtail – strava said my times were no different. It did feel odd for about 10 minutes though but fine after that.

Garry_Lager

I have them on the CX race bikes – steep muddy banks v common, and I think they’re slightly better for traction. Hard to say, though, so many variables in that situation. Ran one for a couple of years on the anthem and it was fine, but recently switched back to a normal one with a crankset change and haven’t noticed the difference.

On the time trials (which is the one place you’d think you’d get a definitive answer on them) I don’t see too many people using them. This is significant as that community is normally first in line to spend money on any sort of dancing bollox that will give them a second or two. So for flattish road stuff they’re perhaps no use, but for climbing it might be different.

bluebird
    Free Member

I read recently they add approximately a 6% increase in power over a ride

How did they measure that?

The credible tests and research that has been done is inconclusive, according to Kerrison: “Crank-based power measurement systems [e.g. SRM, Quarq] appear to over-report power when using Osymetric rings, which is probably due to the variable angular velocity of the crank throughout the pedal revolution.

“In other words, power reads higher, but this does not correspond with an increase in the power actually being generated by the rider.”

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/osymetric-chainrings-do-they-work-28044#KcWR7bpM42bUI0mK.99

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not quite

You missed a bit in your quote:

The slight tendency towards improvement in power output when using the oval Q-rings (increase of 2.5–6.5 % relative to circular chainrings) suggests that Q-rings could result in slight improvement during on-road cycling performance.

13thfloormonk

I have them on the CX race bikes – steep muddy banks v common, and I think they’re slightly better for traction.

Interesting!

I’m still in the process of butchering my Superfly to make it more CX friendly.

Currently running 38 tooth chainring with 11-42 tooth cassette, but figured I could ditch the top three sprockets (they’re rivetted together) as I never used them and save a bunch of weight. If I went one chainring size smaller I could also space the chainring in a bit more, improving chainline and maintaining some of my lower gearing. BUT maybe I could go 34 tooth oval, gain a bit of traction while still getting roughly the same gearing as 36 tooth round? Could be worth a try…

lunge

I’ve had them on the road bike, thought they were OK but bar feeling odd for the first few pedal strokes I didn’t notice them at all. No difference in speed, no difference in perceived effort, nothing. Mine were from Absolute Black so they did look good, they may be reason enough for for some. The main negative was the front shifting wasn’t quite as crisp as with round Shimano chainrings, for that reason alone I’d be surprised if I ever went back to them.

I’ve now taken them off as I’ve changed the ratios I run on my road bike, so if anyone wants a pair of 36/52 for Ultegra 6800 then you know where I am…

martinhutch

I think it depends on your riding style. I like to spin up stuff rather than stand, and my ‘feeling’ was that it lengthened the ‘active’ part of the pedal stroke and made it easier to keep the crank turning smoothly and keep my body positioned how I wanted. So I was somehow getting up stuff reasonably smoothly on a 32 oval that was more of a fight on 30 round.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You missed a bit in your quote:

So did you (and some others in a similar vein, can we play Big Hitter quote ping-pong?)

The present study showed no statistical differences in maximal power output, oxygen consumption or heart rate between the oval Q-rings and the conventional circular rings. These findings suggest that Q-rings did not result in any improvement of cycling performance. In addition, over the course of the exhausting test, the levels of lactate production were comparable for the Q-rings and C-rings. This implies that the metabolic cost associated with the use of Q-rings is similar to that associated with the use of conventional chainrings.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Oval chain rings … do they work / give an advantage’ is closed to new replies.