Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • OT: Protecting myself on ebay
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Im skint – totally skint as well as soon to be jobless so Im looking at Ebay to raise some cash
    Ive bought for years but never really sold

I have a selection of tat (sorry treasure) that should fetch 10-20 quid each which Im not worried about

My concern is an old toy that I have realised is a collectors item and worth 400 quid or so if not more

Whats the best way to avoid being ripped off?
    Besides not selling to a scammer 🙂

Ive been hearing horror stories of people flogging stuff and tracking it to the buyer via Parcelforce who then claims the box is full of rocks or else returns it with something different inside for a refund

It seems Paypal always side with the buyer/scammer
    But if I dont offer Paypal then genuine people may steer clear especially as only a minority of my 100+ transactions are sales

If I always keep my Paypal account at zero will I be OK or do I need to do something else too?

What do you lot do?

Cheers

carlosg
    Free Member

Only post using REGISTERED (silver sticker) delivery , it's the only royal mail postage method that goes through a secure chanel from start to finish.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply

I only plan to use a tracked service but my worry is being scammed by someone claiming I either sent them a box of rocks or else swapping something scummy for my stuff when they get it and paypal refunding them

Or am I being too paranoid?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I've sold 51 items via ebay.

1 issue- which was eventually resolved at no loss to myself.

Scare stories exist, as do bad experiences- but if your sensible, you'll be fine 99% of the time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘OT: Protecting myself on ebay’ is closed to new replies.