Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • OT – Car insurance dullness..
  • dawson

anybody know any firms which are cheap? – currently with Churchill, price seems to be creeping up. was about £33/month last year, will be £35/month from September

I have tried a price comparison site, but haven't been able to find anything with comparable cover any cheaper – are insurances prices climbing across the country?

are these multi-car policies any good?

ntreid
    Free Member

I've always used Bell Direct. Always given me a good price.

They're the same company as Admiral, Elephant & Privelege I think.

dawson

ta – will look them up

Rio

are these multi-car policies any good?

Not quite the same thing, but I got a big discount from Churchill because Mrs R also has her car insured with them. Other companies may do the same so if you've got more than one car I'd guess it's worth trying this.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Directline were the cheapest by a long shot for me. Might be worth a look 🙂

richmars

Multi car is worth looking at, We saved about £150 over the two cars, plus just one company to deal with. Only in the first year so it may go up next year. This is with Admiral.

Weasel
    Free Member

Prices seem to have gone up this year for no reason whatsoever. Then again they do most years…

So far Bell Direct have come in cheapest, still more tedious searching though to drive the price down to a realistic level.

dawson

more tedious searching though to drive the price down to a realistic level.

tell me about it!! I've only had about 3hours looking so far, and its doing my nut in.

A fun-filled saturday evening of trawling more insurance sites awaits…

soops
    Free Member

Directline were the cheapest for me for the 1st time in 18 years of trying! By a long way as well. Must be getting old!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Got to do this this weekend as well. My insurance has gone up 300% this year 🙁 The privilege of having a car stolen, doesn't seem to matter that it was recovered undamaged and returned to me.

allyharp

are insurances prices climbing across the country?

Short answer, yes – they have been for year or two now and it looks like it'll continue for a long time.

Insurance companies on the whole have been making no money from car insurance for years, relying on releasing cash reserves to prop up the accounts. But now they've run out of money in the bank so have to start charging more.

Rich_s

Prices seem to have gone up this year for no reason whatsoever

Fraud, uninsured drivers, no-win-no-fee, NHS fees, etc not enough of a reason?

Get ready for next year – expect 20% increases on your motor insurance… if you want cheap prices go for the lowest cover you can. If you shop on price comparison sites then you're getting no service and low cover anyway.

What you might not realise is that all the people in the chain are getting their 2p's worth out of your premium and that is meaning the insurer at the end of the chain (who isn't usually who you think) gets the square root of bog all to cover an unlimited amount of liability. All the years of cheap meerkats mean that prices are going to go up. A lot.

simon_g

Admiral, Bell, Elephant are usually cheapest for me but that may be as much down to individual circumstances.

Not paying monthly should save a good chunk too – it used to be that firms offered monthly payments as a courtesy and just divided the premium by 12. These days you're effectively taking out a year-long loan for the premium amount, charged at 15% (or more) interest.

MrGreedy

Go here and follow the step by step guide

Doing it that way has never failed to save me money. MSE is always my first port of call for anything like this.

spacemonkey

Before opting for the cheapest, do some research on how they handle claims and admin costs etc. That's one reason we've stuck with Mini Insurance on one of our cars – surprisingly good deals and excellent service (with Mrs SM having had to make a claim).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘OT – Car insurance dullness..’ is closed to new replies.