Viewing 12 posts - 241 through 252 (of 252 total)
  • Osborne. How useless is he, then?
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Funnily enough, in broad terms arent you both making a similar point?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Funny, because I only have to look at your second post in the thread:

“I am very aware of your theory that everything is hunky dory with regards to UK manufacturing Northwind”

Oh that ! …… is that all ? 😀

Well it’s a term of expression…….yes I know you didn’t actually say it, and I’m truly sorry if you feel hard done by because of it.

Anyway, I’m glad you agree me that everything is not hunky dory in the rose garden of UK manufacturing.

It’s nice when people despite the odds find common areas of agreement. It was a long haul but we got there bruv 🙂

Northwind

And the apology for calling me a liar?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Nice to finish the night on a positive note. Ernie, pls keep posting those links – that’s a hidden source for the econ revision file that I had missed. You are my (unintended) source of hidden gems!! 😉 The world works in mysterious ways!!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sorry Northwind I hadn’t seen your edited post, you’ve now included this :

Another:

ernie_lynch – Member

And you just can’t leave that “graph about the defecit of trade” point alone can you ? You have to constantly bring up again as if its not an issue worth considering. Well you might not think it is,

Again, misrepresenting what I’ve said. Nowhere in this thread (or on this forum, ever) have I said that the deficit of trade isn’t an issue worth considering. My only reference to that has been to point out that you used it as if it were evidence of a decline in manufacturing, which it clearly is not.

Well I’m not having that.

That is not an example of me claiming that you’ve said things which you haven’t said. It is a fact that you have repeatedly brought up that graph I posted.

“as if its not an issue worth considering” and “Well you might not think it is” is not an example of me misquoting you. It is an example of me coming to conclusions, and reasonable conclusions at that, I might add.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

And the apology for calling me a liar?

Bollox. I didn’t call you a liar. I said “I reckon you’re telling porkies”

I’m calling you a liar now though.

Northwind

teamhurtmore – Member

Funnily enough, in broad terms arent you both making a similar point?

Well, kind of. Ernie’s been making a broader argument which I agree with, and even though some parts of that argument are wrong the overall conclusion is, well, obvious. I did say so a while back. 😉 I’ve not really been talking on the broad point at all, for that reason- it’s just not very interesting, like I say we’d just end up with a forum of people going “That’s not good. But we don’t know what to do about it”

I think maybe it looks like I’m attacking the broader argument on the overall health of the economy, rather than just the narrower point on the health of manufacturing. But the broad argument doesn’t need manufacturing to be in decline.

Northwind

ernie_lynch – Member

Bollox. I didn’t call you a liar. I said “I reckon you’re telling porkies”

This is some sort of joke? Not a funny one.

ernie_lynch – Member

“as if its not an issue worth considering” and “Well you might not think it is” is not an example of me misquoting you.

But it is an example of misrepresenting my argument. Which was, in its entirety:
    “Ernie, that graph does not tell you a single thing about the health of UK manufacturing.”
    Your evasion on that point has been to act as though I’m talking about something else entirely, even though the point couldn’t be any clearer.

And incidentally, your last post is also an example of misrepresenting my argument- I’ve said nothing about “misquoting”.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes, so c’mon guys, shake hands and have a smile before bed! 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

your last post is also an example of misrepresenting my argument- I’ve said nothing about “misquoting”.

TBH I don’t think you know what you’re saying. Let me remind you :

“I think maybe Ernie’s managed to muddy the water there by asserting I’ve said things which I haven’t, tbh.”

I’ve asserted that you’ve said things which you haven’t ? ….. I call that misquoting.

But of course I didn’t misquote you. To say “as if” and “you might not think” is very clearly a suggestion and not a direct claim.

And now you want to start making a distinction between “misquoting” and “misrepresenting”, because in true STW style it is far more important to argue the pedantic toss over the precise meaning of words than engage in meaningful debate.

I mentioned precisely this issue yesterday Northwind, let me remind you again what I said :

It’s sad to see you descend into petty trivia over words used btw. Try to deal more with the bulk of the argument in future 💡

I am not a barrister putting a legal argument before a court. I try to be reasonably factually correct because to do otherwise devalues debates. But I’m not going to entertain petty issues brought up by anal-retentive sufferers attempting to score points on the precise meaning of words.

Northwind

Let’s get the really obvious thing out of the way first.

“I didn’t call you a liar. I said “I reckon you’re telling porkies””

It’s almost funny that you can say “It’s sad to see you descend into petty trivia over words used” while simultaneously arguing “Oh no, I didn’t call you a liar, I said you’re telling lies”.

But instead it’s just rather pathetic. Have some dignity for pete’s sake.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Grow up.

Viewing 12 posts - 241 through 252 (of 252 total)

The topic ‘Osborne. How useless is he, then?’ is closed to new replies.