Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange Five XL too small for tall blokes? update
  • Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

A while ago I posted the question regarding Orange 5 XL and rider hieght, (I'm 6'5"). I've now had the chance to test ride one so I thought I may as well share my views. The bike had an orange specced 90mm stem which I swapped out with my 70mm one after the first ride because the steering felt vague and floppy. I was suprised that even with the 70mm stem the reach was still acceptable but given the choice I'd add another 10 or 15mm to the reach and increase the stack hieght by the same amount. For some reason I feel that my position on the bike would be ok on a compact hard core hardtail though. The 350mm seat post is not really long enough for my full peddling hieght.

The upshot is that although I have always wanted a 5 and I have been enjoying the ride, I wouldn't part with the £1275 for the frame until I've done my best to get a ride on a XL turner or yeti 575 to compare it against

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Big oranges always look like gates anyway. Would it kill them to just drop the TT a bit?

ton

i imagine them being very flexy in the biggest size too.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

To be honest, after riding a hard tail tail for 7 years I wouldn't notice the frame flex if it jumped up and bit me. 140mm of travel at both end was I bit of a hard thing to get used to. One thing I really noticed compared to my HT is the number of pedal strikes.

ivantate
    Free Member

my 20in 5 had a 70mm stem std.

I am 6'1 and hoping to run mine with an inline post and 50-60mm stem.
    A 6'5 you must struggle with finding bikes.

Get onto Orange, see if they can make a bigger one.

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

Done that, Orange say a bigger five is a possibility for next year. So all you tall blokes get on the phone and hound orange into it.

nasher
    Free Member

At 6foot 5 wouldnt you be better off with a 29er?

ton

i reckon orange will end up going down the 29r route.
    they would sell well in the uk i think.
    i would buy one without hesitation.
    a big alpine29r160………….. 8)

Orang-Hutan
    Free Member

I have ride on a Singular swift XL lined up to check out 29ers but on past experience (a trek somthing or other and a Haro Mary)they felt slow and ponderous on tight singletrack. I'm not convinced

paulosoxo
    Free Member

buy my XL meta 5.5

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I'm 6'4". My Orange 5 2009 XL fits a treat, with 70mm stem.

I also found it much stiffer than my previous Scott Ransom.

I could be tempted to part with the frame. It's custom colour Candy Apple Green, and in mint condition. Hardly ridden due to injury, and not much chance of being ridden for months as I'm recovering from a tendon operation.

TooTall
    Free Member

Orang – I've had 2 other tall riders from here try my XXL Turner Sultan and neither of them could find that ponderous slow thing you mention. They could feel it a bit on my 3 year old Scandal with old geometry forks. You've tried very much XC and probably older generations of 29er – they have moved on pretty quick what with changes in fork trail etc.

acorlett

I'm sorry to hear that, Orang. I've been tempted by 5s, but pretty convinced that with the best will in the world a 20" bike just won't cut it for us tall folk – I'm the same height as you.
    I'll probably head down the 29er path in the future, once they become more affordable. Gary Fisher's always seem a good fit for me, those long top tubes really help the feeling of sitting in between the wheels rather than perched-on-top-of-the-bike-like-a-penny-farthing that most large sizes give.
    Sorry for the slight hijack, but paulosoxo – are you selling frame or complete bike?

barney
    Free Member

Orang Hutan – I think you may be surprised by the Swift..

genesis
    Free Member

I'm 6'4'' and think the 20in 5 is like a barge much prefer the 18, same with the Alpine too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five XL too small for tall blokes? update’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM