Viewing 39 posts - 281 through 319 (of 319 total)
  • Orange Five – WTF makes it so special?
  • Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Eighth page. Wow.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

What does it all mean? 🙂

So in summary, some people like Fives, some don’t.

In regards to the OP (8 pages back), perhaps Fives are special because they make their owners/riders feel good about their riding. Doesnt matter whether they are gods or not. Which makes them want to ride more. Which makes them want to ride in different, challenging locations.

flow
    Free Member

martinxyz

So basically you are saying everyone is wrong, its all hype. Single pivots are inferior and multi pivot suspension is in ever way better. Even though the Five is widely regarded as one of, if not the best all rounder going, whether it’s overpriced and overweight or not, and descends better/as good as bikes with more travel and pivots?

I’m pretty sure you are not the only person in the country that has ridden a single pivot and multi pivot bike on challenging terrain, by that I don’t mean manicured trail centres, I mean proper riding.

Blower
    Free Member

What Trailbike?
    Orange 5

What UK do it all bike
    Orange 5

What Bike for UK DH tracks.
    Orange 5. You don’t need anything else.

Alpine 160. Any thoughts
    Get a 5. Alpine is pointless.

What bike for the Alps?
    5 with 36’s.

What XC Freeride bike
    F I V E !!

What tyres for fireroads?
    Doesnt matter – 5
    😀

Northwind

esselgruntfuttock – Member

This thread really is getting boring, Flow, thanks for pointing the obvious out to Northwind. I mean I’ve only been riding for 21 years so how would I know what’s right for me? Why would I keep demo’ing when I’ve found what I know feels spot on? (for me)

That’s exactly what I said when I tried a Five! But it only lasted 5 minutes because I had another test session booked in straight after. It’s also what I said about my Soul, and that lasted a year til I tried something that I didn’t think I’d like at all, which turned out to be better. If I’d not tried anything else, I’d still be on the Soul saying it was my perfect hardtail.

It’s not brain surgery, you can’t judge something you’ve never tried- and tbh I think you’ve got to be realistic, the chances of the bike you have genuinely being the perfect bike for you are small, with the huge number of bikes out there. I love my Hemlock but would I be better on something else? Quite likely, I just don’t know what it is. Luckily it doesn’t matter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I said when I tried a Five! But it only lasted 5 minutes because I had another test session booked in straight after. It’s also what I said about my Soul, and that lasted a year til I tried something that I didn’t think I’d like at all, which turned out to be better. If I’d not tried anything else, I’d still be on the Soul saying it was my perfect hardtail

you sound quite indecisive and like a bike slag to me… Ooh I love this one oh look shes prettier well the buzz has worn off let me try your sister etc
    PS there is no such thing as the perfect bike AND you are Ton and i claim my £5 😉

Northwind

Junkyard – Member

you sound quite indecisive and like a bike slag to me… Ooh I love this one oh look shes prettier well the buzz has worn off let me try your sister etc

Nah, not really… Just that I understand the difference between “best bike for me” vs “best bike”, and also “best bike for me so far” vs “best bike for me”. Soul was the best bike for me that I’d ever ridden, for a long time, then along came something else that did things differently and suited me more.

OTOH I’ve had my rigid bike for 20 years :mrgreen:

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve just been out riding my 5 it was a very nice ride, didn’t think about the bike very much, we went up and down and I was happy today.

Euro
    Free Member

Pics, vid and three paragraph test report or it didn’t happen. (face)

Dancake
    Free Member

My Xbox 360 is better than an Orange 5 but the 5 is free to play online.

SBrock
    Free Member

can a moderator close this thread please?

paul20v
    Free Member

“Dancake

My Xbox 360 is better than an Orange 5″
    ——————————————————

Now thats a whole new argument and has no place here.

I would like to add something if i dare
    a lot are babbling on about reviews and advertising etc i read non of it
    and i didnt buy it for snobbery as someone has said WTF didnt even now that was an issue with some people ,
    i bought the bike because i liked the ride
    after trying a few and owning others it just felt right straight away
    no issues no drama
    im sure as said theres better around may be there better for me also maybe not
    but the 5 as i bike i can throw at anything i feel like doing it works for ME as a rider and thats all that matters and thats all that should matter
    for others be happy with what you have and stop bitching at others for what they have .

flow
    Free Member

Paul20v

I said exactly that on page 3, I would save your breath. Since then I have been told I was wrong, a troll and the Five is sh*t and I should have looked else where.

flow – Member
    I test rode one at Glentress a few weeks ago. For me what made it special is the fact I felt at home on it straight away, it took no getting used to whatsoever. I hammered it around for 7 hours like I had owned it for years with a huge grin on my face because it was fun.

Surely any bike that is fun (for me) to ride is special, whether its a £500 hard tail, or a 3k full sus?

My brother also hired one and wasn’t as impressed. Whats good for one, isn’t necessarily good for another.

I joined up here to talk to some like minded people who are into bikes 😐

jackthedog
    Free Member

Flow
    I joined up here to talk to some like minded people who are into bikes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

More chance of raising the bleeding Titanic.

molgrips
    Free Member

Martinxyz – it’s undeniable that multi pivot bikes are plusher than 5s. However, the question is how important is that? After all we are not buying luxury executive cars for ferrying dignitaries around. We can handle a few bumps 🙂

Personally I like the firm feeling and the pedal feedback, but I’ve only ridden one multi pivot bike and that was for one ride.

I’m sure if I got on any of the other bikes mentioned here I’d love it too. But then I’m the kind of person who looks for the good in everything 🙂

Jeffus
    Free Member

My Nomad the bike I had before my 5, and my 5 which i rode today,

Both make me smile, which is the fastest on the trail,

mboy
    Free Member

I joined up here to talk to some like minded people who are into bikes

Good reason to join. But surely you’re not so socially unaware that you think raising your voice in public about how your bike is the best bike in the world, and how you believe that everyone either has the same bike, or aspires to own one, isn’t going to result in quite a lot of backlash?

The whole concept of “best” is extremely subjective anyway, as we have established, because what works for one rider doesn’t necessarily work for another, and besides, it’s 95% the rider and only 5% the bike that makes the difference anyway.

Flow, you will find people on here a lot more accepting and even welcoming in general if you use fact based, rational arguments, and leave the emotions about your latest purchase out of it. Please, show us pictures of your latest bikes when you get them (I always have and will continue to do so), but just allow for the fact that not everyone will feel the same about it as you do.

flow
    Free Member

Mboy I know what you are saying, but, isn’t this a whats so good about the Orange Five thread? What am I supposed to say? People are slagging it off, I’m entitled to defend it as I think its worth defending. Read the post above from the 3rd page, hardly forcing people to buy one!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ahh,just been out on the horst linked bike for the past 4 hours.

If i was on a single pivot,you wouldnt be reading this. I recon i`d be about 3 miles from home at this point.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Oh jeez,nearly forgot the smiley.

😀

Moonhead
    Free Member

301st post WHOOOOOOOOOO

nmdbase
    Free Member

I’ve ridden FS bikes since 1996 and I have had errr lots (trade price perks)single pivots, 4 bars, vpp etc. The last one was a Trance X that I had for 2 years with a Pushed shock, plush – yeah,involving no, not really. It is a good design however I’m very glad to have bought my Heckler. It for me is more involving and rewarding to ride, this rubbish about the rear stiffening under braking is very over hyped, if you drag your brakes every downhill then yes I suppose it isn’t quite as effective as the maestro system but not really that noticeable tbh. It does climb better, infact, back in the days of Proflex it was marketed that they dig in and that still stands, it does add traction compared to the multi pivots.

I rode a Five for long enough for me to be exhausted and really didn’t get on with it as the sizing wasn’t right for me however it did make me think how clever the bike companies are at selling their products. The Five works, so does the Heckler and so does the Giant and countless others…..personal preference springs to mind 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Mboy I know what you are saying, but, isn’t this a whats so good about the Orange Five thread? What am I supposed to say?

Errr, “I like mine because…”, “It suits my riding style because…”, “I used to own X but now own Y and I prefer it because…”… All perfectly fine.

Spouting rubbish about everyone else either wanting one or convincing themselves their “inferior” bike is better because they can’t afford one, going on about British Manufacturing meaning it’s of vastly superior quality (it’s not these days) and not listening to what other people say when they disagree with you (as they have every right to do) is the fastest way to annoy people on here…

juan
    Free Member

I stopped after onion’s first reply. Well I don’t see many orange any more around here mainly due to two things:
    they are expensive, and not fashionable. Simple as that.
    Ridders around here are very sensitive to fashion. Looking at the enduro series 2 years ago the only bikes you could see were lapierre and giant. Now the latest fashionable brand is mondraker (thanks to fabien I guess) although spoocilized is coming back.
    It llosk to me that the UK market for bike is one of the most down to earth. You obviously get your share of all the gear no idea it middle men spooting gob-shite on an internet forum, but on the over all people seems to ride bike mainly because they like it. UK market seems to be more driven toward the HT front than the FS it is just inconceivable here. People look at me very weirdly when they see me on my hard tail. So no you don’t see AS MANY five down here as you can see sin the UK, but doesn’t mean it’s because it’s a bad bike.

ozzo
    Free Member

Does it matter what bike you’re riding – if you’re just rinding, having fun – they’re the main points to get right? All this – “my bikes better than your’s” is just pure and simple crap

oreetmon
    Free Member

UMMM, just to add,

i have owned VPP and 4/faux bar frames and find them better at a lot of things (square edge hits etc) compared to a single pivot but also find them dull and un-involving as they seem to take my input out of the ride

long live the single pivot, lots of fun to ride. 😛

nmdbase
    Free Member

oreetmon
    UMMM, just to add,

i have owned VPP and 4/faux bar frames and find them better at a lot of things (square edge hits etc) compared to a single pivot but also find them dull and un-involving as they seem to take my input out of the ride

long live the single pivot, lots of fun to ride.

Exactly 😀

oreetmon
    Free Member

EDIT,
    spanner int works

must add, i have recntly been getting used to a CCBD on my 2011 after swapping it for the stock rp23XV and ‘squrae edge hit/brake jack’ arguments hold less water now in my opinion.

tried the old rp23 today just for fun and will never go back, made the frame feel dull and sluggish and climbing was a chore ,even though it was ‘lighter’,,, im no suspension expert but thought this a relevent point, a CCBD has totaly changed my opinion of the 5 frame.

martinxyz
    Free Member

“i have owned VPP and 4/faux bar frames and find them better at a lot of things (square edge hits etc) compared to a single pivot but also find them dull and un-involving as they seem to take my input out of the ride”

quick,edit it before the faux bar police come along and tell you that a faux bar IS a single pivot!

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’ve actually seen more than 3 people at the same time really enjoying themselves on an ORANGE 5. OMG.

Enjoying themselves. It’s a strange concept.

alpin
    Free Member

i ride a hardtail… saves talking bollox about the intricacies of spring jack, square head hits, jocks shocks and all that jazz….

neallyman
    Free Member

I reckon a 5 will be my next trail bike, I’m getting more and more tempted to part with cash as each day passes.

The main 2 reasons I want a five is because I will order it to come with a rear maxle and CCDB (& it’s suspension design will work so well with the CCDB). Simple as that. Expensive price to pay? Yeah. But I can’t actually see any other 140mm trail bike out there that will fit those criteria (although I’ve probably missed some?).

catvet
    Free Member

Taking a Five and a Five Spot to Molini di Triora for five days, so will settle the dispute between, SP and multi pivot!
    Albeit in my view SP with good shock eg ccdb or if want a multi pivot a DW link (physics seems to add up) are the only real choices.
    Geometry BB height and wheelbase are probably way more important.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

This point has probably been made somewhere along the line, but I shall make it for the sake of making a contribution to the discussion…
    The orange 5 2011 (which costs £2,249.99) has a spec almost identical to that of the Boardman Team FS 2011, this bike costs £999.99, and I have not seen any evidence, neither on the Orange website, nor read in user reviews a reason that justifies the £1249.99 price differece. (Hype much??).
    Futile Point to make, but a valid one I think 🙂

nmdbase
    Free Member

Their new bike outside the workshop
    New Orange

Only a bit of fun 8)

DeeJay
    Free Member

Had mine out today for the first time – I pedalled – it went up and down across the North York Moors – the down bits were especially fun – I think we are going to have a happy time together 😆
    I did’nt notice this ‘brake jack’ malarkey 😉 I just sqeezed the levers and it slowed or stopped – most times in some sort of control and as for looking fugly, from the saddle the view is just great 😯

grantway
    Free Member

DeeJay – Member
    Had mine out today for the first time – I pedalled – it went up and down across the North York Moors – the down bits were especially fun – I think we are going to have a happy time together
    I did’nt notice this ‘brake jack’ malarkey I just sqeezed the levers and it slowed or stopped – most times in some sort of control and as for looking fugly, from the saddle the view is just great

POSTED 7 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Brake Jack was more noticeable with the Patriot

DeeJay
    Free Member

Brake Jack was more noticeable with the Patriot

Thank goodness for that – thought it was just my poor riding skilz 😕

misterfrostie
    Free Member

For what its worth, I’ve got a 2007 5 with Float 36’s and an Alpine with Float 180’s (yeah yeah yeah I know they’re 20mm over what Orange recommend but it feels good)
    I love my 5 – it’ll do practically anything I want it to do including a real pasting during a week in Morzine and several UK enduros. The thing i like most of it is its simple reliability. If theres anything loose on the back its either the pivot bearings or the shock bushes. Either one is cheap and easy to fix. I’ve got mates on Intense and Spesh who have to shell out a load of cash on new bearings when their arse end gets loose and invariably end up replacing OEM bearings with cheap Chinese ones because its such a costly affair. I only need a pair and so can afford SKF or FAG stainless which are sealed better and last longer.
    My 5 is so good at pottering round smooth flowy trails and taking on 6-8 foot drops I sometimes wonder why I built the Alpine. To be fair the 5 is just as good for the sort of riding I’m into. Having said that, The Alpine with the long forks does like the really rough stuff meaning I don’t have to pick my lines quite as carefully.
    You just can’t fault the 5 – its pretty good up, its great down, strong and easy and cheap to look after and the paint finish is super durable.

Viewing 39 posts - 281 through 319 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five – WTF makes it so special?’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM