Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 319 total)
  • Orange Five – WTF makes it so special?
  • joeegg
    Free Member

Had a 5 for a year and hated it.Bought it because of all the hype and really regretted not test riding one.Downhill in a straight line it was good but anything else and it felt dead.Paint finish was pretty awful as well and the stickers peeled off at the first sign of rain.
    Sold it at a big loss as i preferred to ride my £300 hardtail.
    My Giant full suss does everything better for me,especially climbing.
    I think the marketing by Orange is spot on as i know people who have bought a 5 that have never ridden a mountain bike in their lives but it looks good to own one.

molgrips
    Free Member

He has included new designs though, hasn’t he? ST4? Nice that they continue to make the old ones though for the advantages they bring.

Sold it at a big loss as i preferred to ride my £300 hardtail

Did you spend any time fiddling with the setup? This is crucial for any bike. Mine has both annoyed the hell out of me AND put a huge grin on my face, often with only a small but significant change.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve had the same set of bearings in mine for 5 years. My mate has had to change the bearings in many of his multi-pivot bikes (all 12 of them) every 6 months.

Love this comment.

retro83
    Free Member

It’s not the best performing bike I’ve ridden (brake jack, pedal bob and sub-par square edge handling) but it is fun to ride. Can see why people love it.

molgrips – Member
    Did you spend any time fiddling with the setup? This is crucial for any bike. Mine has both annoyed the hell out of me AND put a huge grin on my face, often with only a small but significant change.

Not so IMVHO, my Maestro bike rides well even with poor setup. Pedal bob and brake jack are handled by the design of the linkages, so you don’t rely on having the setup exactly perfect for it to work well. Horst link seems to be this way too.

hoochylala
    Free Member

This thread is making me doubt/ change my mind on getting a 2011 5 as frame only 😕

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Well it shouldn’t.

THey just work well. Bearings don’t fall out after 2 weeks, I couldn’t give a flying **** what it looks like so long as it rides well.

And they do. I tried a Turner 5-Splat next to an Orange and the Turner was awful. Just goes to show, dunnit? Different folks have different taste. Doesn’t mean one is wrong.

Blower
    Free Member

aye different folks different tastes…

i will change mi heckler one day,but for what i dunno,but it wont be another heckler or a 5.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 18 months , never noticed brake jack, didn’t on my Heckler,its a good bike that does most things well, taper head tube and maxle back end make for a really stiff frame, that tracks well, Heckler was very Flexi in comparison, mine is around 31-32lb a bit on the heavy side should be 28lb if you believe all the weight claims , all my bikes have been around 32lb Heckler , Nomad and now the Orange 5.
    It really shines on the down hill slacker and lower works well, but this shows on the climbs , its a steady plod gets there in the end, although it does do the odd unexpected , 4 of my mates hit a technical climb/ obstacle and all failed and they are awesome riders compared to me and I had a go and the old 5 made it clean, I nearly fell off with shock 😀 , A Heckler with taper head tube , 67 deg head angle and maxle rear would look prettier ,
    The fuglyness of the 5 grows on you and doesn’t matter really, its better looking than me 😯
    I’m one of the people who needs a 17″ 5 with a 23″ TT damn funny shaped body. 😀

thepodge
    Free Member

scotchegg, if bearings fell out of any bike after 2 weeks it would have nothing to do with the the fact it wasn’t a 5. less daily mail headlines please

Jeffus
    Free Member

Blower I changed my Heckler for a Nomad , Nomads rock awesome bikes quickest bike I’ve ridden, but over the top for most trails and my ability,
    Orange 5 is how the Heckler should have evolved into, 😀

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I reckon its the advertising budget spent in UK mags that makes the orange 5 ‘so special’. I hear its not rated highly outside the UK mags. Its an old design now and seems over priced to me. Still, I’ve never riden one! if you like it and have loads of cash, then get it. I’d test ride though after reading some of these posts.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Knowing what you’re capable of whilst riding is the key here, if we’re talking performance? Is it a looker? All in the eye of the beholder obviously.

Can you ride hard enough to need 5 inches?

O5 will handle most things in the UK but can you? Buy buy buy if you can.

The suspension design is simple & works, period. Low maintenance too. Buy an Orange & watch them all turn green. 😀

jackthedog
    Free Member

Nothing makes the Five special beyond repeated discussions like this. It’s just a bike.

You can dissect axle paths, pivot placements, shock rates or whatever else on the internet all day, or you can just give one a ride and buy it if you like it, or don’t if you don’t.

Form your own considered opinion by borrowing or test riding one; not by listening to the bizarrely extreme views that shape the average internet forum discussion. This being a thread on Orange Fives means it’s probably mere posts away from becoming a flame war focussed initially on BMW’s Paralever, then switching briefly to CO2 emissions, then racism and the misappropriation of the Union Flag by football hooligans, before settling finally and firmly on Thatcher and someone getting a two day ban for circumventing the swear filter.

For what it’s worth, two of my mates’ mates’ uncle’s dogwalker’s boss’ brother’s mates have Orange Fives. One rode straight out of the showroom and instantly won every single bicycle race in the world ever and is now crowned King of All Biking, and the other one was simply unloading his from the car when it brake jacked him into a low orbit, his every limb torn spectacularly and irreparably asunder.

Blower
    Free Member

Jeffus. you sure your not getting them mixed up the wrong way round with rear end stiffness?

nomad too much indeed agree.
    the 5 has the right amount of travel,for riding n messing here.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)

as Ive said on other threads I sold a Nomad for an Alpine (bigger version of the 5). I DID get frustrated with the idea of having to shell out 90 quid and spend a couple of hours replacing the bearings every year, dosnt instill faith in the bike. I assume the VPP2 on the Tracer is a radical improvement from the original VPP which climbed like a dog in the granny ring.

Not really a balanced comparison to rate a 5 with an Fox RP and then comment on how a CCDB improved a Tracer. My alpine came with a CCDB so it may ride far better than a standard shocked Orange-it has the adjustment to tune out any suspension quirks. VPP bikes were known for needing lots of midstroke support and blowing thru their mid travel, I eventually managed to tune this out with the fitted (and much derided for just this problem) DHX5 Air, so choice of shock and set up has a large impact on sus performance.

nickegg
    Free Member

The 5 is special in that there are no longer many true single pivot designs around these days (for good reason some may argue!).

However, i’ve just re-discovered the joys of true single pivots having just built up a 2011 Heckler. I really regretted getting rid of my 2007 Orange 5 (with the steeper HA) and after a few linkage bikes i came across the Heckler again via a customer at work and decided to get one. The Heckler is pretty much identical in geometry to that 2007 Orange 5, which i thought was a fantastic allrounder.

I bought a 2009 Orange 5 after that first one and hated it! The new slacker HA just didn’t suit me at all and only in the Alps did it start to make sense….so not really relevant to riding at home then!

True single pivots are fantastic fun, not perfect by any means but no suspension design is. You either like the simplicity and just get on and ride or you don’t.

EDIT: Jeffus….think you’re confused. I’ve been riding a Nicolai Helius for last few months, by far the stiffest bike i have ever ridden. In comparison the Heckler isn’t that far of in lateral stiffness terms. The Heckler is certainly stiffer than either 5 i owned.

anto164
    Free Member

TBF, i had a blast around a car park on one, and they felt quite good under the pedals, and soaked up the bumps well-ish, but (Perhaps the same for all air shocks) you either set the rear shock up for hard hits so not to bottom out all the time, or to soak up the small hits, but will bottom lots.

And who gives a rats arse about maintenance. All bikes need a fettle every now and then, and know what, fettling with bikes is good fun! Seconded to riding (And sex!).

Blower
    Free Member

EDIT: Jeffus….think you’re confused. I’ve been riding a Nicolai Helius for last few months, by far the stiffest bike i have ever ridden. In comparison the Heckler isn’t that far of in lateral stiffness terms. The Heckler is certainly stiffer than either 5 i owned.

yep.
    just wish the Heckler for me had the 5’s head angle.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, two of my mates’ mates’ uncle’s dogwalker’s boss’ brother’s mates have Orange Fives. One rode straight out of the showroom and instantly won every single bicycle race in the world ever and is now crowned King of All Biking, and the other one was simply unloading his from the car when it brake jacked him into a low orbit, his every limb torn spectacularly and irreparably asunder.

😆

Jackthedog – A perfect synopsis of how utterly facile STW generally is, pretty much. I thank you, sir.. 8)

nickegg
    Free Member

Offset shock bushes would give the Heckler slacker angles. I may try that for my 3 week Alps road trip this summer! As they are though i feel they’re perfect for the riding i do in this country. It was the slacker angles that took away the 5’s great all-round abilities IMO.

oreetmon
    Free Member

my ‘expert’ opinion on the five is,,,,

i havnt been lucky enough to own a nicholi, santa cruise, intense etcetcetc BUT,,,,

have owned a number of FS bikes over the years since 2004, i change my frame every 2 years (unless they are shoite) try to buy frame only as i spec my bikes the way i feel is best for my locals and how i ride (heavy and plough like,,,,,FWIW i have a minor disability)

BUT, through choice, i keep coming back to the five as its just so versatile.

im lucky/stupid enough to own several different sets of forks/shocks/componants etc (proper fettler me 😀 ) and can honestly say that the 5 frame can cover most of my terrain with out issues and with the right spec i have entered xc races (never won but thats not the point is it) and have tackled fort bill DH with a set of 36s and a coil on and i did ‘OK’ time wise (not 100% but think rowen sorrel did the mega on a five and did really well)

i love the 5 frame as its just so easy to clean, service and seems to have an auto pilot button when you point it DH,,,, dont really care about uphill speed as if its to steep im not to posh to push. thing i like about the five frame is it seems to let me get away with silly mistakes when choosing lines as it does seems to have that auto pilot function. the brake jack (yes it does jack) has never been an issue for me as i brake before hitting anything that may disrupt my line (isnt that what your supposed to do :?)

feel i must add that have i have just taken my new 2011 out today (2nd ride but bigger terrain, first one was down to a quick ‘just built’ XC exuberance) and found it climbed better than my 2008 (might be down to first ride excitment/adrenalin but it did) i also have been lucky enough to bang a CCBD on it and,,, even though it did, i havnt really found P-BOB an issue,,,,, infact i beat a pals commencal (sp?) 6 inch thingy and another pals marin wolfridge to the top and it also seemed to climb better than my winter bike 2009 456, this may not be a claim to fame but i found it a bonus.

i love my new five frame, the maxle has made a big difference on the ice cream run (for those ITK) and the slacker HA is always something i wanted when i had a 140mm fork plugged in to my 2008.

over priced, over hyped and everybodys got one,,,,, BUT,who cares,,,,, it suits my locals better than any other frame ive tried.

ONLY issue i have with them is they seem to loose the chain more than other frames ive had BUT a stinger soon sorts that out.

jealous unbelievers say it looks ugly, i think its simplisity is handsome.

MADE IN ENGLAND.

druidh
    Free Member

If it was that good a bike, they’d be as popular in the US and Europe as they are here. Take the “Made in England” bit away and sales would plummet. Think Rover.

hugh_b
    Free Member

I tried a few different frames before buying a five. To be honest I never liked the look of them, I had a commencal before which was great until it cracked.

I purchased my 2010 five frame at the end of 2009 and since owning I have not looked at anything else. I ride just about everything on it, it’s pretty confidence inspiring and basically it’s fun to ride!

The made in Britain thing did appeal to me as did the one set of bearings, it just works and i enjoy riding it! 😀

Jeffus
    Free Member

Sorry guys but my 2007 Heckler was a Flexi old thing I changed to a Hope Bolt in hub and that helped, I’ve a maxle back end on my 5 and that is super stiff, but I am fat 😀 Nomad back end was also solid, I’m a real Santa Cruz fan and went the 5 route to see what all the fuss was about.
    I did like my Heckler it was a very good bike at giving confidence just like a 5, she was very pretty.

oreetmon
    Free Member

FWIW, i take an annual lake gada bike holiday with a local/guide i met who owns a hotel (mates rates 😉 ),,,, cracking bloke who has made comment recently on the FACT that a lot more fives have been seen in the area (think german, spanish and italian riders) since the patriot has bit the dust.

accu
    Free Member

druidh..

US is a different market…..

and in europe (for example france,germany) oranges are extremly expensive…prices are much higher than in england !!

molgrips
    Free Member

Pedal bob and brake jack are handled by the design of the linkages, so you don’t rely on having the setup exactly perfect for it to work well. Horst link seems to be this way too

Yep, no questions that the 5 is not as plush as some bikes but so what? Hardtails are much less plush and people still enjoy those 🙂

I still think most of you don’t know what brake jack is. It’s NOT the feeling of the rear wheel smacking into things as you brake.

But yes the US and Europe are very different markets and types of riding.

druidh
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    But yes the US and Europe are very different markets and types of riding.

Which is why there are so few US and European bikes sold over here.

molgrips
    Free Member

They are different markets, doesn’t mean there’s no overlap!

pypdjl
    Free Member

If it was that good a bike, they’d be as popular in the US and Europe as they are here.

Absolutely, nothing to do with dealer networks or exchange rates or anything like that 🙄

oreetmon
    Free Member

GGGGGGRRRRRR, must add,

the way i look at it, the 5 was designed and made etcetc 30 miles away from my house and so for my local terrain (the reason i bought my first 5).

the way i see it, it has been designed with my local english northern terrain with the option for a bit of alpine holiday (or is that what the alpine is designedetc for ?), NOT bone dry american terrain (spits on floor) and although not strictly a european alpine frame it can easily be built for so.

cheers orange for ticking all my boxes.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

podge – I have run Spesh FSR’s that have needed new bearings every 3 months. That’s what happens when you ride them.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Changed the bearings on my 5 a couple of weeks back £7 and 20 minutes excellent, 😀

depth-junkie
    Free Member

Never had a problem with brake jack ( And yes, coming from a motor cross background i know what rake jack is )Also never had a porblem with pedal bob either. I run my RP23 BV wide open for everything except long fire road climbs which is when i flick the propedal on.

Wot a load of cack “a five dont climb well” i beat most folks on long climbs on my five. I suggest fitness may be the reason for not climbing fast & not the bike.

Is the 5 the best bike?? probably not, but it works and works well. Its tough overall build, simple pivot maintance make it ideal as a solid all round UK bike.

Living in Wales and riding at least 3 times a week on my MTB (avg 40-50miles a week on the MTB) i want a bike built to take the hits and last me years. The five ticks all the boxes for me, and yes being British built and handmade also has added value to me. Also along with the way Orange allow you to build the five up to how you want it with upgrades etc when ordering new adds to a bit of individuality you dont get with most manufactors.

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh yeah, 5s do climb well. Perhaps not in 32lb FR guise but mine’s 27lbs and has no problems. I quite like the pedal feedback when climbing, but I can see how some wouldn’t.

tonyd

Different strokes and all that. I own a 2010 Five, I demo’d a lot of others including Blur LT, 5-Spot, 575. It came down to the Blur LT and the Five, the Five was a better fit and made in the UK so that’s what I bought.

I love it to pieces, but no doubt if i’d bought the Blur I’d say the same about that. As someone else mentioned it has a bit of the hooligan about it that makes it so enjoyable to ride. It doesn’t go uphill as quick as some/most, but then neither do I.

Whatever you do don’t buy a bike without demo’ing it (and others), just look at the amount of conflicting opinions on here.

tonyd

+1 molgrips – I prefer to get feedback through the bike. The more complicated multi-pivot bikes I demo’d I didn’t really like as they felt too plush (for me).

thepodge
    Free Member

Scotchegg, keep up the back hand insults, it really adds to your argument.

depth junkie, hand made is a selling point for you is it? well that should narrow it down a bit, what with pretty much every frame ever being by hand.

and oreetmon, I’m from even closer to orange than you, location has little if anything to do with it. and it rains on America, oddly enough.

Jeffus
    Free Member

My 5 is about 31.5lb I must be building with the wrong gear,

Talas 150 RL 32 fork taper steerer.
    Hope Hoops Stans Flows with tubless conversion,
    2.25 Advantage, 2,25 Ardent rear,
    Hope Tech 4 brakes , floating rotors , Ti bolts
    CK taper head set and CK BB
    XTR 970 cranks running 34tooth + e-13 srs running 1 x 10
    XT mid cage , xt shifter 11-36 XT cassette and xt chain
    Float RP23 shock
    KS I900 seatpost with remote, SDG saddle Ti rails
    Hope Clamp
    V12 pedals Ti axles
    Sunline V1 bar and 50mm stem
    even have carbon spacers under my stem.

it was weighed at my local bike shop

randomjeremy
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 319 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five – WTF makes it so special?’ is closed to new replies.