• This topic has 14 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Orange Five: How do I route cables through the chain stays
  • Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Getting to the end of my first build. Its a 2010 orange five. But how do I route the brakes and gear cable through the rear chain stays? any top tips?

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

Yes bud grab a Old spoke thread it into the outer cable then put the cable from fat side of swing arm should make it easier and might need a small flat screwdriver to guide spoke end a tad.. 😀

Or just faff about with a inner gear cable and grab the end with a hook type tool when you see it banging end of inner swing arm. 😀

LardLover
    Free Member

faff and plenty of patience when I had mine 😐

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Thanks. Sensible to run outer cable through then and not just inner? Faff not gaff then. Cheers

T666DOM

+1 for patience you’ll get there in the end.

surlynot
    Free Member

Lots of swearing….

Oh and patience.

LardLover +1

..then relax!

iainc

make sure you go from front to back or you won’t get through the rubber grommets on the swingarm

grantway
    Free Member

Use a cable rod access, its what electricians use to thread cables
    through awkward areas.

Cable Access Tool

Make life simple.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Assuming it’s only the inner cables that thread through, try this:

DSC09802 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

DSC09801 by stuartie_c, on Flickr

Basically a length of the woven plastic tape that binds printer paper boxes closed. Tear it lengthwise to make it narrow enough for the hole then FOLD it lengthwise to form a V-groove. Inner will hook up in the groove and will be channelled back out to daylight. I invented this myself, by the way, but you can use it royalty-free this time 😉

This was after a couple of hours of cursing and fannying around with a loop of old cable which was going nowhere.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Mwahhahahahahahahaha!

Rickos
    Free Member

I used an old wire coat hanger with the brake hose stuffed on the end. Unfortunately I went back to front so now have a half squidged in grommet. Ah well…

Robertwilkinson
    Free Member

Thanks for all advice, ESP the paper binder ribbon idea which worked like a dream!

rotten
    Free Member

Thread the inner through first and hook it out from the dropout end using small allenkey.

hora
    Free Member

I used a clark brake cable- EASY then thread the outer over it the withdrew the brake cable

hora
    Free Member

Ps the end stop/dongle bit ffirst

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Orange Five: How do I route cables through the chain stays’ is closed to new replies.