Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)
  • Orange Bikes Announces ‘A New Dawn’
  • BruceWee

Another would be to say he never said that at any point.

Listen to the last STW podcast with Dan.

He said the only people interested in buying the brand were oligarchs who had no interest in bikes and were just looking for a UK based business to buy in order to have a way into the UK market.

If that had happened the Stanton we know would have been dead, even if some BSOs were still being produced to make the tax return look legit.

Without Dave Loughran stepping in to buy the remaining stock that was the only future Stanton had.

squirrelking
    Free Member

He said the only people interested in buying the brand were oligarchs who had no interest in bikes and were just looking for a UK based business to buy in order to have a way into the UK market.

Okay, but how did you get from there to

even according to Dan Stanton, the Stanton brand was dead and buried so who cares if someone ‘steals’ it.

With leaping skills like that have you ever considered the Olympics?

And you’ve already been more than schooled about IP theft still being theft regardless of if a company is trading. I have no idea why you’re so keen to defend a robbing scumbag.

BruceWee

And you’ve already been more than schooled about IP theft still being theft regardless of if a company is trading. I have no idea why you’re so keen to defend a robbing scumbag.

Not sure why you’re getting so angry about this.

If you read what I wrote, I’m not defending anyone.  I’m pointing out some important facts that STW decided to omit in the original story, ie, that Stanton and 1bike4life shared a factory which puts a very different spin on things (assuming that’s the case, still not had that confirmed by anyone who wasn’t German).

Stanton going into administration threatened the future of both the factory and 1bike4life.  If they hadn’t done what they did both could have ended up with a bunch of people on the dole but I guess because they are German and Taiwanese they don’t matter?

No one could have guessed Dan and Dave would have pulled the switcheroo they did.  And Stanton emerging much the same as it was before had unintended consequences.

But yeah, call people who are also just trying to survive in this industry scumbags if you must.  They aren’t British so they don’t really count as real people, do they?

crankrider
    Free Member

More and more of this going on right now – If there is money owed and its ‘written off’ then somebody is out of pocket, be it the bank or a supplier it knocks on somewhere, somehow.

A local shop did the same, called administrators, some stock returned to suppliers, fixtures and fittings sold at discount to owners wife and shop re-launched under the guise of ‘refurbishment’ a month later with a range of different bike brands – hundreds of thousands of pounds owed to various suppliers, HMRC etc etc – poof! all gone.

Interesting lately a small UK frame builders company went into liquidation – debts appearing to be owed being a bounceback loan with nothing repaid and another company in the directors name that they now trade under, bye bye £50k debt – but who picks this up, the tax payer?

If there is something that needs fixing about how LTD companies are able to operate its the ability to seemingly be able to absolve themselves of debt, be a little creative with things and declare a ‘new dawn’ with what appears to be almost zero downsides.

thepodge
    Free Member

It didn’t happen but there was talk that when the Bicycle academy went under that it could take with it Ceeway. If that had happened then the UK would have lost not only the single largest (basically the only) custome frame building supplier but also possibly the only website that somehow predates the internet.

There’s more often than not a whole cascade of issues that people seem fairly easy to overlook.

fivetones

This gives a little more context than other articles I’ve seen.

New owner for Orange Bikes

branes

Without Dave Loughran stepping in to buy the remaining stock that was the only future Stanton had.

The irony here being that this was probably funded by the Planet X MBO … in turn presumably funded by the £6.3M loan from Santander (https://bikebiz.com/planet-xs-1-8-million-list-of-creditors-shown-in-companies-house-update/). … which in turn is probably what pushed Planet X into administration and was presumably defaulted.

crankrider
    Free Member

The Orange bikes Bikebiz article is from 2015.

chrismac

Im glad to see them back in business but as many have pointed out there does seem to be a legal sleight of hand around ownership of which bit meaning someone else is picking up the losses from the taxpayerr, to banks suppliers etc.

fivetones

@crankrider doh! My bad.

ampthill

I’m pointing out some important facts that STW decided to omit in the original story, ie, that Stanton and 1bike4life shared a factory which puts a very different spin on things (assuming that’s the case, still not had that confirmed by anyone who wasn’t German).

I’m not going to claim that I know what happened at Stanton. But this isn’t a great argument is it. Single track didn’t mention a fact. Although it might not be a fact. So that might be a his reason they didn’t mention it.

Back to Orange

I have at times got really cross about the whole liquidation thing as a scam. A friend sold a successful company to fund his retirement. It then went bust in about 3 years. I spoke to an employee who thought it was deliberate. Suddenly all the directors were driving round in range rovers and spending lots of money on perks, all charged back to the business. Nothing like that happened before the sale. Fun and games until they wind up and the debts are cancelled.

But from what I see the Orange brand didn’t set out to loose money and benefit from cancelling the debt. Things went wrong and a best way forward has been found. It’s terrible for the people who loose out. But ceasing to trade would damage more people not less

BruceWee

Stanton, via STW, gave us part of the story with the intention of creating a pile on for both 1bike4life and bike24.  And it worked, briefly (those Stantons are now back on bike24).  If you go hunting through the German bike press you get another side of the story that isn’t quite as clear cut as the version we got here.

Personally, I like to get the whole story before drawing conclusions, even if that involves seeing what the foreigners are saying.

You don’t and you get abusive if anyone questions the ‘official’ version from the good honest British sources.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m not sure anyone stole anything, my understanding is at the time no one owned the European and international rights to the name / brand / IP of Stanton.

Someone saw an opportunity to own a bankrupt brand and ran with it. It just so happens that at the same time someone else was also picking through the bones of the bankrupt company and resurrected it.

walleater

I had to look at the Ceeway website based on the comment above, and it’s fantastic 😀

https://www.ceeway.com/index.htm

Andy

Someone saw an opportunity to own a bankrupt brand and ran with it.

Fair enough. But 1bike4life then passed off the Taiwanese frames they bought, with the fake “Stanton” labeling they applied, to Bike24 as being made in the UK by Dan (see pic).  I suspect we haven’t had any update since last summer because its with the lawyers and I doubt Dan has the funds to pursue in the same way Specialized do.

However the passing off is clear evidence to me that it was just a cynical attempt by 1bike4life to raid the history of Stanton for some cash, and when they got caught doubled down. Or you can believe, like BruceWee does, that they were heroically trying to save jobs in the Taiwanese factory.

“The Bikes are made in their own factory in Derbyshire” No they are not. They are made in Taiwan. Thats dishonest passing off. If they are lying about that. What else are they lying about?

Fake Stantons

Andy

But this thread is about Orange. Brilliant news they live on. I bought one of the first P7s in 1991. Loved that bike!

BruceWee

If they are lying about that. What else are they lying about?

I’d be very surprised if 1bike4life were being 100% honest about any of this.

But then Dan wasn’t 100% honest when he said a mysterious 3rd party bought the frames and then sold them to 1bike4life.  Maybe it happened like that, but it’s the biggest coincidence I’ve ever seen that the 3rd party just happened to sell the frames to a company that used the same factory as Stanton (again, no one who isn’t German has confirmed that they did in fact use the same factory and I’m quite happy to be corrected if this isn’t the case).

On the one hand we have a plucky British brand which has had its IP stolen by a greedy mustache twirling German villain so he could buy a new superyacht.

On the other we have a German hero who stole a dead brand from an oligarch in order to feed his starving frame builders.

The truth, I suspect, lies somewhere in the middle. If only there were some journalists with contacts in the industry who could do some investigating and clear up all the confusion and get to the truth.  Because at the moment it looks like Stanton’s administrators stiffed the factory for 800 frames plus tooling (which I’m guessing is quite a lot of money) and the factory then sold the frames to one of its other customers (a customer with no mountain bikes in their range so no cache to call on to create a new brand from scratch).

But yeah, back to my original point, these phoenix deals are always going to make things messy for someone, no matter how simple and clean it seems to be for the ‘new’ owners.

Andy

Ok,  My prev post was backed up by clear evidence… but if you must…

But then Dan wasn’t 100% honest when he said a mysterious 3rd party bought the frames and then sold them to 1bike4life.  Maybe it happened like that, but it’s the biggest coincidence I’ve ever seen that the 3rd party just happened to sell the frames to a company that used the same factory as Stanton (again, no one who isn’t German has confirmed that they did in fact use the same factory and I’m quite happy to be corrected if this isn’t the case).

Evidence please? And not some vague reference or flowery whimsy. Thanks

On the one hand we have a plucky British brand which has had its IP stolen by a greedy mustache twirling German villain so he could buy a new superyacht.
    On the other we have a German hero who stole a dead brand from an oligarch in order to feed his starving frame builders.

Again evidence please, or thats just utterly irrelevant and you are breaking rule 1 (I really dont care if the people are German, UK or Taiwan – it makes no difference)?

Because at the moment it looks like Stanton’s administrators stiffed the factory for 800 frames plus tooling (which I’m guessing is quite a lot of money)

Dan has been really clear that he intended to make sure everything with suppliers is square. Again please provide evidence to the contrary?

But yeah, back to my original point, these phoenix deals are always going to make things messy for someone, no matter how simple and clean it seems to be for the ‘new’ owners.

Agreed. Which is why I haven’t commented on whats going on with Orange because i have no evidence. But with Stanton its well documented. Unless you can provide evidence, which I dont think you can? Maybe let it go?

mashr

Bloody hell you lot are tiresome, just go back to one of the Stanton discussions to discuss Stanton

Andy

Yes. Fair point. Sorry!  I just think comments about Stanton are unfair. Wont post again
    EDIT Sorry – they are still trolling so I will…

BruceWee

Evidence?

Well, there are 800 frames floating around.  As far as evidence goes that’s about it.

Oh, and your evidence is the screenshot, I guess?  I’m not sure when it was taken but it’s not what I’m seeing on that page:

https://www.bike24.com/brands/stanton-bikes

Stanton Bikes – Classic and Traditional Steel Mountain Bike Frames
    Stanton mountain bikes come from the same bike manufacture as Rennstahl, Falkenjagd and Parapera and cultivate traditional frame materials such as steel and titanium. They stand for purist and classic frame geometries, timeless design and minimalist construction – for example, the frames come with external cable stops, making maintenance and component upgrades a breeze.

Apart from that it’s he said, she said.  Dan is saying one thing.  The Germans are saying another.  I have no evidence to prove that what the Germans are saying is true anymore than you have any evidence that what Dan is saying is true.  That’s why I’m saying it would be nice if a magazine with contacts in the industry could clear up what we are hearing from both sides.

All I know for sure is no factory is going to want to get a reputation for selling the IP of one customer to another which is what this factory seems to be doing.  Something is not quite right with anyone’s story.

I know everyone feels like Dan is their special mate and his story shouldn’t be questioned but if you take a step back and look at it objectively it doesn’t quite add up.

BruceWee

Bloody hell you lot are tiresome, just go back to one of the Stanton discussions to discuss Stanton

The point I was making was that these seemingly clean phoenix companies are messy for someone somewhere down the line.
    Apparently nothing at all is messy about the Stanton resurrection and people get emotional if you suggest otherwise.

[MOD] Enough of this, if you want to discuss Stanton, there’s a thread for that. Keep to Orange here please

Toasty

So delighted to hear this, bizarrely the news that I might not get to have another Five shaped bike made me want one all the more.

BruceWee

OK, I’m sure the Orange resurrection will go swimmingly and no one who ends up out of pocket will directly or indirectly cause any issues for the ‘new’ Orange.

superstarcomponents
    Free Member

Oooh it appears the mods have retrospectively deleted my comments discussing the issues of bankruptcy, media corruption and IP lies.

all pretty relevant to the conversation….

sorry but you can’t believe anything written on this website now.

Neil SuperstarComponents

[MOD] That you posted AFTER we asked that the thread stay on topic, which is Orange, not Stanton.

tomhoward

You do love talking about the demise of other bike companies, don’t you Neil?

Edit: that’s for another thread

davedave
    Free Member

I thought this was going to happen, then that thing about seeking to sell the business came out from the administrators and it seemed like it wasn’t the case,.. but actually it is. Oh the drama. Publishing that the business is seeking a buyer is part of this sort of scheme?

I guess they actually wanted to keep this under wraps until it was done but forbes went and published the article and now you have multiple articles on pinkbike with the same highly original comments as usual.

I hope that the debtors list is mostly the big distributors so the effect on smaller suppliers is less but I have a feeling a bunch of people won’t be too chuffed with this. But I guess they probably weren’t going to get paid either way but it’s still got to sting and there will be bad blood.

jam-bo

sorry but you can’t believe anything written on this website now.

is this a good time to mention past shill accounts

[Mod] Please stay on topic, this thread is about Orange. Thanks for your co-operation.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I would, out of sheer nosiness, love to know the story behind this. Looks like nothing was ever up for any real open market type sale, just ducking some liabilities. Was it debt, a lease, something else or a mix?

chestrockwell

Might be an idea to wait for some actual facts before accusing Orange of ripping people off yeah?

If the guess work does prove to be correct it’s certainly not cool that innocent companies lose out but on the other hand it’s preferable to all the Orange staff being made redundant and the innocent companies still not getting anything. Who knows, they might get some sort of payment anyway?

I assume non of us have been buying anything from CRC/Wiggle at stupidly low prices recently? Can’t imagine the people who manufactured and supplied the below cost items getting their money back?

funkrodent

I assume non of us have been buying anything from CRC/Wiggle at stupidly low prices recently? Can’t imagine the people who manufactured and supplied the below cost items getting their money back?

In the net!

Anyway, businesses going into administration and restructuring happens all the time. In many cases it’s the lesser of two evils and for lots of suppliers it’s better to write-off some/all of the debt and still have a customer to trade with going forward, than to write off some/all of the debt and have no customer to trade with.

The harsh reality is that if any other business is so exposed to one customer that that customer defaulting puts them out of business, they need to have a a good, hard look at their business practices and how they manage risk. Certainly if you’re that exposed to one customer you’d want to think very carefully about extending them credit, and if you do you’d be well advised to have water tight trade credit insurance to protect you if they default. If you haven’t, and they do, then quite frankly it’s on you

Rubber_Buccaneer

Might be an idea to wait for some actual facts before accusing Orange of ripping people off yeah?

Quite. And none of my business anyway. But I’d still be interested to know, I could well sympathise with the situation. As a small business owner who has seen the way a deal can become very skewed in the favour of one party or another when very unexpected situations arise I could well sympathise. Inflation, energy, trade, etc has all been very unpredictable in the past few years.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Make them reliable, people don’t buy an orange for lightweight, they buy them partly for the simple design and ease of maintenance, all that is lost if the frame cracks, as has happened to many of my local riding pals multiple times. A new frame or a new swingarm with a respray is no good.

Back this up with a better warranty that gives peace of mind to the original owner.

I’m local (but my nose is normal) and would love to own an orange but until the above issues are fixed there’s no reason to buy one.

ped

The “actual facts” are that it’s just business, innit?

Having been at a fair few companies that have gone into administration—hang on, am I the common factor?—there are winners and losers each time but there’s always the same ‘X is ripping off Y’ or ‘Z is just saving his own ass’ arguments made. There are more losers than winners fo’ sure, but that’s just the way doing things properly by calling in the administrators works. At face value it all stinks, but that’s capitalism for you.

Hadge
    Free Member

Good luck for the future guys and here’s to a great 2024 hopefully.

jimthesaint

Unless Ashley Ball is willing to admit that he is the reason the business went into administration and learn from his mistakes then the metaphorical can has just been kicked down the road.

Yes the cycle trade is having a hard time, other business’s are managing to keep there head above water though. In 2015 when Ball purchased Orange the bikes were getting good reviews in the media, they were sponsoring WC Dh’ers and most importantly had a huge dealership network in the UK. The business has been on a steady decline since then.

I believe Ball purchased Orange because it was an opportunity for him to take control of his biggest customer and therefore secure business for Bairstows. Without Wade & Noble at the helm though the brand seemed to stop developing/evolving. I might be wrong but I believe Bairstows/Ashley Ball had no experience in bike frame manufacturing until Steve Wade approached them with plans for a swing-arm made out of sheet aluminium. It seems to me that Orange became so committed to folded aluminium sheet construction not necessarily because it was the best thing for Orange but because it was the best thing for Bairstows.

You only need to look at the materials and manufacturing techniques Orange had used before Ball bought Orange to see that the brand was not tied to any particular material/technique. I’m pretty sure that just before Orange was sold to Ball either Wade or Noble said that Orange were about 2 years away from being to manufacture out of carbon in the UK.

crankrider
    Free Member

Not sure I agree with that – The folded sheet construction is Orange’s USP – before they sold it was their USP too – the rumours of carbon frames seemed to be nothing but rumours.

Recently they have added the linkage frames which seemed to go down quite well, they certainly reviewed well, so ‘innovation’ isn’t entirely non existent and their geometry is spot on.

Personally I think price is the absolute barrier here, not the design which personally I am a fan off (other than the ugly hanging ‘gut’ one one of the new models)

Refine choice, drop the price and I believe they will sell.

dartdude
    Free Member

HIP HIP HOORAY!

Here’s to hopefully using round tube shapes

chestrockwell

Without Wade & Noble at the helm though the brand seemed to stop developing/evolving.

Having owned plenty, that’s simply not true.

As for a carbon bike, they did do a prototype but that was waaaaay back. Guess going down the Hope route might not be a bad idea though? Be interesting to see what they come up with.

chakaping
    Free Member

Without Wade & Noble at the helm though the brand seemed to stop developing/evolving.

As above, I really don’t recognise this in reality. I’d say they’ve possibly been too innovative in recent years.

They now have various different frame designs (single pivot, linkage SP, the one with the storage box), they have some of the longest chainstays in the galaxy and their lightweight eeb looked like it could be the best on the market.

Like we said on a previous thread, they’ve possibly become a bit too niche, fallen off people’s radars and their previous customers are on eebs – but I feel like rider tastes are coming back to simplicity and there’s potential for Orange to regain ground if they can make the pricing a bit more palatable.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 128 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.