Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Opinions of the 9 zero 7 fat bikes?
  • crocodilian
    Free Member

Thinking of building up one of these, does anyone own one and if so what are your thoughts? I would be using it for mostly my normal trails around the Chilterns just as something different to ride.

stevemakin

birthday

9zero7 being ridden here, Nick will be along soon to tell you about it 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Geat fun, on all trails, be it on the beach as above, or even around the local Delamere Trails.

It just rolls well over everything, its great fun, and you can’t help but smile when you ride it.

Being an Alloy frame it isn’t exactly heavy, but as I’m no racing snake (as seen in the photos :oops:) this was never an issue.

I wouldn’t want to have it as my only MTB, I dunno, I think I would get bored pretty quickly, and it does take a bit of getting used to, but for shits and giggles on a regular basis, you won’t go wrong.

Oh, and the irony of putting on a 42 tyre in the winter isn’t lost on me either…

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve had one of these since last winter. I originally built it up with an 11-speed Alfine but the grip and traction is such that I decided I wanted even lower gears than is within the range that Shimano recommend, so it’s now 2×9. It’s used as my generic trail bike over the local hills and I’ve had it down Glentress where it is a bit of a hoot.

The Husker Du tyres transformed it btw. Lighter, faster rolling and gripper than the Enomondo/Larrys I’d originally fitted.

Compared to a Pugsley, I reckon it feel more like a standard, rigid, MTB. Certainly, my non-Fat friends have commented on how normal it feels.

Current build has it sitting around 31-32lbs.

P1020468 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

P1040207 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

As I was going to run a gear hub, I went for the 135mm offset frame. If that’s not on the cards, go straight to a 170mm. You might also want to consider waiting for the new version which includes a 135mm offset, slidey-dropout, split-seatstay for running a gear hub and a belt drive!

Happy to answer any other queries you might have on it. I should also be along to the next Fatbike UK meeting – Yorkshire, 6/7 October. If you can pop along, you’d be welcome to a ride.

trail_rat
    Free Member

druidh what forks that i like it.

i finally got round to doing 2 x 6(due to tire restricting use of the top end of cassette) on my sandman for similar reasons to you.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Really helpful, thanks. Although I would like a ride on one before buying, I probably wouldn’t be able to get up to Yorkshire unfortunately but thanks anyway.

Who are the best UK dealers? Is there a UK dealer?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had one briefly, it was good: well made and well though out.

3.7lb IIRC.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s the White Brothers Snow Pack. I guess it was my one “luxury item” in the build, in that it definitely wasn’t worth paying so much for so little difference in weight and I don’t believe that carbon has that much of a different “feel” when you’ve a 4″ tyre on the ground 🙂 There are other, lighter options available now too.

crocodilian – there are no UK dealers. I had to get mine from fatbikes.com in Alaska. My experience of dealing with them wasn’t the best, but the frame is excellent. You say “up to” Yorkshire so I’m presuming you’re in that there South. I’m actually in Central Scotland if that is another option for you at any point.

FWIW, I’m 5’7″ and on a Medium. That decision was based on discussion with the guys at fatbikes.com and it’s pretty much spot on.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Can you elaborate on your experiences with them?

druidh
    Free Member

YGM

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Opinions of the 9 zero 7 fat bikes?’ is closed to new replies.