Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Leaving a car with a broken window on the street.
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My NS door window broke, no possibility of a repair until Saturday at earliest. I don’t know anyone with off-street parking to help, I can drive it to Autoglass but that’s a PITA with an engagement tonight.

It’s a 1990 Mazda Eunos, a little rough, soft top has already been ripped in a theft attempt, it’s immobilized and I can disconnect the battery too.

Am I daft to consider leaving it on the street? (nr Pilrig St, Edinburgh, OK area, I can hide it in a cul de sac)

imnotverygood

I suspect the vast majority on here wouldn’t dream of nicking/vandalising a car, but the small number who would aren’t going to be proffering their advice…..

soobalias
    Free Member

what sort of broke. smashed to pieces or dropped down*

i’d probably patch it up with poly and tape, leave nothing of value and cross my fingers.

*wedge it up with a block of wood in the door?

Northwind

Now that you’d told me where to find it, I’m going to come round and pee in the window.

trail_rat
    Free Member

buy some perspex and cut to fit…. casual observer would know no different….

kcal

can you jam it hard against a wall?

the-muffin-man

Is it any different to leaving it parked up with the soft-top down?

jon1973
    Free Member

Should be OK as long a no one sticks a ‘Police Aware’ sticker on it – if that happens it will be stripped completely within the hour.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Bin liner / rubble sack and some duct tape to keep the worst of the weather out. Get it fixed as soon as is convenient. Any more than that is just overkill.

Cougar

and some duct tape

Masking tape, if you value your paintwork.

Jamie
    Free Member

Cling film should fool ’em.

jon1973
    Free Member

I can drive it to Autoglass but that’s a PITA with an engagement tonight.

Autogalss will come out to you and replace the window in situ.

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/index.php?id=5875&which_window=2&solution=1

gonzy
    Free Member

this happened to my last car. drivers side window shattered when being wound up after it came off its mount in the door. i covered it up with plastic sheeting and masking tape then put it on the drive right up against the hedge.
    i tried to get it replaced via the insurance and whilst they were happy to do this they wanted £75 excess before Autoglass would come and replace it. Autoglass then confirmed they can replace it but didnt have the part in stock so would have to come and fit a temporary perspex panel in and return a few days later to finish off the job when they had the right piece of glass.
    i declined this as i wanted the job done ASAP so i sourced the window at a local scrapyard the following day and got a replacement fitted for £25…all done within 30 minutes

tonyplym
    Free Member

Not sure that I’d park it away in a quiet corner – where a would-be thief could work away at little risk of being disturbed. As others have said – clear plastic or perspex or similar to keep the weather out.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Carbon fibre and a spoon should sort it 🙂

Drac

What ever you do don’t post on the internet with a street name and city where you’re going to be leaving it.

irc

Thieves have no problems breaking windows if they want anything out your car. Most people who casually walk past your car are not thieves anyway. Those who are will assume any goodies are already gone. Tape some plastic over the window and don’t worry.

Obviously depends what areas you park in and not leaving anything nickable in view. My sister locked her car in a busy street in the west end of Glasgow. I suggested it was a bad idea leaving her pkt of cigs in full view on the dash. Scoffed at. Two hrs later she found her side window smashed cigs taken.

sandwicheater

You do know what will happen don’t you.

[video]http://youtu.be/LWmNIgKlsEA[/video]

rwamartin
    Free Member

Is your insurance valid if it’s left unlocked/unsecured?

KonaTC

Rip the radio out, scatter the contents of the glove box on the floor. Any scumbag walking by will think its already been done over and walk buy. Sorted

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Sleep in the car. Rent out your house – it’s Festival Season, you’ll be quid’s in…

njee20
    Free Member

Is it any different to leaving it parked up with the soft-top down?

Well… no, but I imagine he’d not leave it on the street with the top down for 3 days either.

Same thing happened to me, I took the radio front out, left the glovebox open to show it was empty and didn’t worry too much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers most, just followed your moves njee

rene59
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member

You do know what will happen don’t you.

A soup kitchen?

“Thanks for the F Shack – Love Dirty Mike and the boys”

br
    Free Member

Don’t bother locking it.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Pray you don’t have the same happen as a mate of mine a few years back. Broken window, left the car in a side street and was going to sort it out the next day. He went back the next day, and someone had got in and taken a dump on the back seat, oh how we still giggle about that to this day 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well that didn’t take long, is the guilty party big enough to confess?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/okSiVD]mx5[/url] by alan cole, on Flickr

bigyinn
    Free Member

I cant believe there’s been no mention of a mid-life crisis yet.

hels
    Free Member

Park it in Gayfield Square, dead opposite the cop shop, right in front of one of their CCTV cameras. You might get a parking ticket, lesser of two evils ? Cheap insurance ?? Don’t park it offensively enough to get towed away, of course.

cynic-al
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member

I cant believe there’s been no mention of a mid-life crisis yet.

There was plenty when I bought it 7 years ago. It’s coming home tonight.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Leaving a car with a broken window on the street.’ is closed to new replies.