Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Oooo! Multimap! 25k! Yay!
  • phiiiiil

Yayyyyy!!!

Multimap has 1:25k OS maps on it!!!

*dies of excitement*

Q
    Free Member

These folks have had em a while

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

phiiiiil

True, but it’s in a tiny window and you can’t drag it around, I found it too much of a pain in the ‘arris to bother with. This, though, will see me wasting many hours staring at maps when I should be doing something more productive… 🙂

willy
    Free Member

same!! i have he whole country in that, very entertaining!…am i sad?

Drac

They had them once before didn’t renew the licence iirc.

paddlemyowncanoe
    Free Member

Well, that’s work over for the next month then. Kewl.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

cheers!

james
    Free Member

Ok, so the window is now twice the size of the OS get a map thing, but is there any way to turn any of the adverts off on multimap (I’m fine with them on here) as I can’t seem to focus properly on it to pan around due to the silly amount of ads hemming it in

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

…will see me wasting many hours staring at maps when I should be doing something more productive…

I get paid to do that 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

uh, low resolution and skewed (0.9°) axes 🙁

Nico
    Free Member

How can anything be as productive as staring at maps?

MinishMan
    Free Member

Use firefox, use adblockplus. You can simply disbale it and enable to visit pages that are more / less annoying.

http://adblockplus.org/en/

phiiiiil

If you hide the sidebar thing on the left does the map not go fullscreen and make the adverts disappear?

aracer
    Free Member

low resolution

Better res. on Multimap than Getamap (I checked). Was about to mention this a couple of days ago, but thought I’d look stupid as they’d probably been on there a while!

The issue on multimap is the (inconsistently) skewed axes, which makes it rather difficult to rip a big map off the net. Not yet investigated properly though, so it may work – I have a suspicion it’s skewed due to the difference in the map projection used by OS and GPS coords – and given the better resolution than Getamap (which it is possible to rip large 1:25k maps from 😉 ) it might be worth the bother.

aracer
    Free Member

…a quick investigation suggests the skewed axes are all down to the OS map projection. Only skewed by 0.9° at Lancaster – different skews elsewhere, and indeed here at ~2°W (the centre line of the OS map projection) there’s almost no skew. What this means is that whilst the grid lines might not be vertical, true north is vertical. Good news from a ripping perspective – what’s not so good is that you only get ~1/3 the amount of mapping with one grab compared to Getamap, and Multimap have also previously blocked IP addresses (back in the day when nobody owned 1:50k mapping, and the only way to get that electronically was ripping) 🙁

jimthesaint

Are you sure they’re 1:25k? they look like 1:50k to me.

jimthesaint

ignore me. i’ve just realised that i just needed to zoom in. doh!

peakprowler
    Free Member

phiiil – how do you hide the sidebar?

druidh
    Free Member

peakprowler – Member

phiiil – how do you hide the sidebar?

There’s a wee tab on the border between the sidebar and the map – about half way down. If you hover over it, it should read “Expand map”. Just click it…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Oooo! Multimap! 25k! Yay!’ is closed to new replies.