Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • OoOne Inbred 29er – Any Good?
  • 888trojan888
    Free Member

Im thinking of getting one of these. Are they any good?

How does it handle and climb. Any honest reviews would be appreciated 🙂

anotherstan
    Free Member

didn’t like mine, felt clumsy and wanted to steer itself 😯 which was a bit spooky. same opinion of a 29er scandal.

…and i’m generally a big fan of on-ones, other than the two 29ers, i’ve had 2 inbreds, a steel 456, a ti 456 and 2 scandals, (all in 26″ flavour) and loved ’em all. still got some of ’em.

ton

i got one 2 week ago………….it is ace to be honest.
    but i have been off the bike for 2 years, so anything would probably feel good. 😀

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I have one of the SS specific white ones running Salsa Cromoto rigid forks – it’s the best bike I have ever had. For me the 29er thing has been a bit of a revelation.

tobymc

Mine’s been great. No lightweight its true, but cant say its ever stopped me doing anything or made it less enjoyable…. Dependable and great value.
    Having said that, the frame is now for sale (18″ slot dropout with hanger)….. 😉

chopchop
    Free Member

I really like mine, my first 29er and surprised me with how much fun it is to ride. Very agile when you get some speed up and climbs very well with a 100mm Recon fork. You can’t do better for the money IMO.

instanthit
    Free Member

Been riding my ss for last month. No problems with handling, I’ve got on one carbon rigid forks, lo rise Easton bars. My first 29er and really enjoying it. For the price its superb. Buy one, you won’t regret it.

takisawa2

Loved mine. Rode best with Singular Swift rigid steel forks.
    I’d happily get another.

qu1nt
    Free Member

I love mine ! Singlespeed with rigid carbon forks on hope hoops
    Climbs like a mountain goat & definitely the favorite mtb I own
    (I ride with two lads who have exactly the same brilliant setup 🙂 )

firestarter
    Free Member

No comment re the bike but glad to hear your back in the saddle Tony 😉

cardo

Really lovin’ mine , again first 29er singlespeed. Was given the frame when a mate upgraded to a Titanium version and have built it up with a carbon rigid fork. Nice and light and flies up hills especially when clipped in which was a new experience for me too. BTW there are 4 in our club 8)

zippykona

I borrowed a geared rigid one. Half way through my ride I stopped and went home.
    It weighed a ton and was bloody awful. I didn’t buy it ,waited a while got a 29 scandal instead and made sure the wheels were light.

ads678

Just built one a couple of weeks ago. Seems pretty good and nowhere near as heavy as I thought it’d be. Salsa cromoto rigid forks seem good also.

I’m 5’9″ and bought a 16″ but probably should have bought an 18″. So make sure of the sizes before you pull the trigger.

20121021_151109 by Adam Branston, on Flickr]
    20121021_151109 by Adam Branston, on Flickr[/url]

GDRS

If you have the choice (and I did) get the Scandal….a bit lighter…..

BTW I loved my 26 inbred – and it now needs a new home….

stevemorg2

@ toby mc -how much do you want for the frame? Any pics?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Massive fun IMO….got bored of MTBing a few years back sold all my kit and bought this to keep my toe-in and it rekindled my love for the sport….I had a rigid SS version in a size smaller than normal…brilliant! 😀

benslow
    Free Member

Great bike, nice in Orange built up with black bits.

It flies when up to speed and feels solid and so stable.

I love it.

I’m 6-3 and have the XL but am considering trying the frame size below …….

thomthumb
    Free Member

i swapped my 140mm 456 for an 80mm inbred 29er.

it lost about 1kg, climbs so much better, descends pretty much the same great bike.

letmetalktomark

I enjoyed the brief time I had with mine.

The build was pretty heavy even for me* but away from the carpark and actually riding it it was great.

Okay they don’t have fancy tubing but it sort of doesn’t matter as the design seems to work.

I’m now tentatively contemplating once of their SS specific frames 🙂

SS:

Geared:

Fattish front:

* I can build a heavy bike from the very best lightest parts ……

SimonR

Great value and lots of fun …. there’s another thread HERE with a few more thoughts.

fenred
    Free Member

Love mine…£ per smile it can’t be beaten

timc
    Free Member

how much was it fenred?

mboy
    Free Member

Good fun, enjoyed the one I had (and got it at a superb price at the time), but probably wouldn’t buy another.

Why not? Well for one, it was heavy. Almost 6lb for the frame only in 18″ was not light. Also, 29er geometry has moved on somewhat since the 29er Inbred was designed, it’s got a steep head angle (NEEDS a 100mm fork IMO), a relatively long back end.

They’re great as a cheap intro to 29er’s, but once you’ve tried something better you’ll realise its limitations.

fenred
    Free Member

How do you mean timc, total build cost?

They’re great as a cheap intro to 29er’s, but once you’ve tried something better you’ll realise its limitations.

Could you expand please mboy?

SimonR

Some photos of mine …

2012-06-16-107.jpg by Simon_R, on Flickr

2012-05-07-077.jpg by Simon_R, on Flickr

johnnystorm

fenred – Member

Could you expand please mboy?

Well mboy did say:

Why not? Well for one, it was heavy. Almost 6lb for the frame only in 18″ was not light. Also, 29er geometry has moved on somewhat since the 29er Inbred was designed, it’s got a steep head angle (NEEDS a 100mm fork IMO), a relatively long back end.

😉

johnnystorm

FWIW I bought one from here for my brother, rides really nicely (albeit a bit small for me) considering its far from a flyweight!

timc
    Free Member

Yes fenred, built cost?

Clink

I agree with mboy. I had one for a while and then the ti version. Loved both of them but frames I’ve had since with a slightly slacker ha and shorter chainstays have ridden ‘better’ – descend with more confidence yet still climb well and nippy in singletrack.

tobymc

stevemorg – YGM

emac65
    Free Member

They’re not bad,but no where near as good as the 26″ wheeled Inbred,which is a great bike & far more fun…..

fenred
    Free Member

timc- haven’t totted it all up tbh but looking somewhere in the region of £1,600ish give or take. It started life as a an experiment using my 26er inbred as a donor, then grew and I don’t think any of the old 26er components remain. Bought a couple of SH bits off of here, Xt crankset and formula bianco’s but everything else new. Mail me if you’re interested in full spec list.

SimonR- liking the teal frame! Don’t see many of those around 8)

Johnnystorm- Nice one, what are you, mboys PA? 🙄

timc
    Free Member

I was just curious after you £ per smiles comment, just bought a reduced XTC 29er (2012) for £980 & was wondering if better vfm was out there!

I like the orange though! 🙂

fenred
    Free Member

Ah gotcha tim. My £ per smile comment was referencing the price of the frames. I keep looking at more ‘exotic’ steel blends but just can’t seem to get my head around it…that said I’d love to try a Solaris and got a bit of a hankering for a swift but then I drag the inbred out and it is certainly full of orange loveliness 😀

Secretly waiting for takisawa2 to put his SIR9 frame up for sale 😉

timc
    Free Member

SIR9 is probably the one i desire the most! 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

I was just curious after you £ per smiles comment, just bought a reduced XTC 29er (2012) for £980 & was wondering if better vfm was out there!

2012 Anthem 29er for £1299 😉

timc
    Free Member

What you winking at? I want a ht

takisawa2

SIR9 is probably the one i desire the most

Theyre basically the same bike. Honest. 🙂

IMAG0221 by pten2106, on Flickr

IMAG1023 by pten2106, on Flickr

IanW
    Free Member

I do wish on-one would stop welding the seatstays above the top tube, just looks poor.

emac65
    Free Member

timc – Member
    What you winking at? I want a ht

Yeah but I’ve already got one of those & the Anthem is only 300 notes more than your h/tail,& I have one of those as well now…… 😉 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘OoOne Inbred 29er – Any Good?’ is closed to new replies.