Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA: iPlayer iOS Apps now allow TV programmes to be downloaded.
  • Jamie
    Free Member

No ability to download radio stuff yet, which seems a bit of an oversight. I guess they figure podcasts cover that area.

What’s New in Version 2.0.0

New for Version 2.0 – download TV programmes to watch anywhere. Never suffer a boring journey again.

Download TV programmes and they’re yours to keep for up to 30 days.

Take your favourite programmes with you, be it on the way to work, on a flight, or with the kids in the car.

So, what will you download first?

p.s I know this has been available via several different methods, get_iplayer etc, but this is new to the iOS apps.

DrP

Was just about to post the same thing – good move by Auntie I say!

DrP

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is this news? It’s been out for the rest of us for years even Linux 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Is this news? It’s been out for the rest of us for years even Linux

So. Even though I added a p.s to cover this, you still felt the need to be a little smuggins?

geoffj

Does this mean that get_iplay works again?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So. Even though I added a p.s to cover this, you still felt the need to be a little smuggins?

Sorry after the Laptop vs mac thread I though Macs did everything and got you a beer afterwards and didn’t complain if you never called them.

My bad

Jamie
    Free Member

Works for me on OSX, via Get iPlayer Automator.

Sorry after the Laptop vs mac thread I though Macs did everything and got you a beer afterwards and didn’t complain if you never called them.

If that’s the level you’re going to peg your argument at, then let’s all just move on….

My bad

My bad indeed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So so sorry I guess there be no sense of humor on this thread then 🙂

GrahamS

It’s been out for the rest of us for years even Linux

Except Android (coming soon apparently).

In fact most iPlayer implementations I see (e.g. smart TV, set top box, Xbox etc) only let you stream. AFAIK only the desktop versions and the original Nokia one have allowed downloads.

This is apparently because it is harder to maintain DRM control on downloads.

You seem to be confusing “a Mac” with an iPad/iPhone.

Anyway, yeah great move by Auntie. Good on them.
    Fandroids are rightly narked, especially with the new issues due to flash being dropped, but I hear they plan to put out an Android version in a few weeks that’ll resolve all that.

DrP

There was the iPlayer app for Andriod devices (which I also have) – myplayer – that used to allow you to download to device. Then they updated and stopped all that and it went rubbish!!

iOS/Android/Mac/PC/Linux – it’s all computer geekery and not the pinnacle of society TBH – those who make a massive fuss about it all usually are the ones with the least important things to say… 😉

DrP

GrahamS

There was the iPlayer app for Andriod devices (which I also have) – myplayer – that used to allow you to download to device. Then they updated and stopped all that and it went rubbish!!

They got lawyer-grammed by the BBC apparently,

sharkbait
    Free Member

That’s cool. I’ve got a 4 hour train up to Glasgow next week as this could be very handy 🙂

DrP

GrahamS – I don’t doubt it.
    My mate made one of the first iPlayers for android – “Beebplayer”, at uni.
    It was all fun and games until letters from the Beeb legal dept. were dropping through out letterbox…..

DrP

boblo
    Free Member

Is this live now? I can’t see how to download either navigating via Safari or using the iPlayer app (iPad user).

GrahamS

boblo: Yep, the update to iPlayer app (v2.0.0) is in the App Store now. Update to that and there is a new “Downloads” tab at the bottom and a “Download” option on all programs.

GrahamS

Oh and if you are on a new iPad you might want to turn on the Higher Quality downloads in the Settings.

Drac

Nice. Come in handy for trying to catch up.

boblo
    Free Member

Aahhh got it at. There was an update in the queue as well. If you nav to the BBC site/iPlayer via Safari, the option to download is absent…. Wired.

CountZero

Mmmm, that’ll be handy, cheers for the heads-up! 😀

Drac

iPhone updated, just need to do the same with wife’s and the iPad. Oh and Mac Book done to and Dr Who downloaded. Just in case by a small chance of fate I get the chance to watch it at work tonight.

GrahamS

If you nav to the BBC site/iPlayer via Safari, the option to download is absent…. Wired.

Well yeah.. where would it store the download from Safari? It would need to hand it over to the app (like it does with PDFs to iBooks etc).

The app is better than the mobile iPlayer site anyway cos it lets you store favourites etc.

JulianA
    Free Member

Cheers!

Yes, good news if you want to take stuff abroad / watch it on a long journey etc. Tried it out yesterday and it works very well.

Will also sort out buffering issues – as we’ve found the iTouch wi-fi connection sometimes doesn’t keep up.

scaredypants

bah, looks a bit **** – can only keep ’em for 30 days and 7 days after you 1st press play
    (or have I read it wrong ?)

That po-ru downloader for PCs used to be ace 🙁

GrahamS

bah, looks a bit **** – can only keep ’em for 30 days and 7 days after you 1st press play

Isn’t that basically the same terms as the Desktop version?

(the legal official one, not the various hokey pirate rippers)

konabunny
    Free Member

Awesome,

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘PSA: iPlayer iOS Apps now allow TV programmes to be downloaded.’ is closed to new replies.