• This topic has 43 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • One for the outdoor/fashiony types – New jacket/fleece/hoody
  • lawman91

Afternoon all, looking for a new reasonably weather proof jacket/fleece/hoody and been looking at all the usual suspects Patagonia/Arcteryx (all my riding gear is 7mesh) etc but struggling to pick one out. Have around £125-200ish, prefer to spend on the lower end of that unless something is gamechangingly good. Looked at the Patagonia Nano-Air Hoody, Patagonia Crosstrek and Arcteryx Atom/Kyanite but does anyone have experience of any of these or other recommendations?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think this came up in the thread about trailcentres?

marcus
    Free Member

Just got 2 RAB vapour rise in last years colours from go outdoors for £70 each ?

Gary_M
    Free Member

something is gamechangingly good

It’s a jacket, how do you expect it to change your game exactly?

Something from Finisterre? Nice kit, doesn’t change games.

jimjam
    Free Member

Take a look at the Montane Hi-Q Luxe jacket. Can be had well within your budget if you shop around. Light, packable, super warm, fairly waterproof and still works well when wet. You might also want to consider their Blaze, Fireball and Prism jackets depending on your needs. I’ve found Montane’s cut to be far and away the best for me.

Gary_M – Member

It’s a jacket, how do you expect it to change your game exactly?

If you can have one item of clothing that you can throw on or throw in the car and be reasonably sure that (within reason) whatever weather occurs you’ll be fine that’s a big plus over worrying about packing multiple layers of this that and the other. The first such jacket which allowed me to do this was the Mountain Equipment Bastion which I have recommended on here many times.

For me, it was a game changer 😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have the Montane Prism, yep great jacket. My game is the same though 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

😆

dragon
    Free Member

If you aren’t a brand snob then Regatta stuff is surprisingly good now. Their cheap softshell has lasted much better than my RAB Vapour rise which was over double the price.

benp1

That’s quite a range of products you’ve listed (I think), from fleece through polartec alpha to insulated windproof top

When will you wear it and why?

Something like a well packing synthetic fill insulated jacket (with hood) is massively useful in a variety of situations

lawman91

When will you wear it and why?

Just for general Autumn/Winter wear really, I just use regular hoodies at the minute, usual high-street stuff and now I’m getting closer to 30 than 20 I feel the cold more I used to, so just want something warm, comfortable over a t-shirt and reasonably wind/weatherproof (I’ll not be out all day in a downpour!)

I’ve got a 66North Polartec fleece at the moment I got in Iceland last year and it’s very good, but wanting something with a hood and is more weatherproof.

jam-bo

i probably wear my atom lt hoody more than any other piece of clothing in the winter.

johndoh
    Free Member

I just got a Craghoppers waterproof/windproof shell *AND* a Regatta waterproof insulated/quilted hooded long coat for £80 for the pair from TK Maxx.

They should keep me going for a few years and give me plenty of flexibility depending on the weather/how much I’ll be outside etc.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Patagonia
    Arcteryx
    7mesh
    66North

If you aren’t a brand snob then Regatta stuff is surprisingly good now

mmm 🙂

But seriously I’m a big fan of Montane stuff, fit is always spot on and quality is great.

lawman91

Patagonia/
    Arcteryx
    7mesh
    66North

If you aren’t a brand snob then Regatta stuff is surprisingly good now
    mmm

But seriously I’m a big fan of Montane stuff, fit is always spot on and quality is great.[/quote]

Comes across that way but I got my 7Mesh kit on sale, and if it weren’t for the fact the sleeves were a bit short I’ve walked out of Mountain Warehouse at the weekend with exactly what I’m looking for for half as much!

benp1

Ah, OK. As it’s not a particularly technical requirement I’d recommend a synthetic fill (60g to 100g per metre squared, that’s the warmth rating) jacket, in the brand you like and a cut that suits

Anything will work from most brands, you won’t be particularly testing it. You’re probably looking around £150 to £200 mark.

See here for a bit of inspiration – https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-synthetic-insulated-jackets-2017-reviewed/#UsqP3o017RDviqW7.97

I’d avoid down, even hydrophobic down, for day to day UK use. I bought my wife a North Face synthetic fill jacket, no hood as she doesn’t like them, she uses it all the time

Digby

Arcteryx Atom

I can’t recommend the Arcteryx Atom AR enough – it’s frequently my ‘goto’ jacket and has been warn for pretty much everything from Greenland Expeditions (as mid-layer insulation) to casual drinks in the pub.

Lightweight, it packs down pretty small, is breathable (it has mesh under the arms) and washes/dries well)

kcal

Depends on requirements – I’ve got a Haglofs soft-shell that I picked up in Cotswold Outdoor for £75 IIRC – quite chunky, but brilliant jacket, hood, good zip, two side pickets and chest pocket.

lawman91

Went for the Nano Air in the end, found a place local to me that stocked Patagonia, Arcteryx and more, tried the Nano Air and just felt right straight from the off. Great fit, warm, comfortable and looks like it deflects minor drizzle and rain pretty well. The mrs even approved, which was most surprising given the price!

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can have one item of clothing that you can throw on or throw in the car and be reasonably sure that (within reason) whatever weather occurs you’ll be fine that’s a big plus over worrying about packing multiple layers of this that and the other.

Not to me. Single garments are a risk, because there’s a good chance you’ll have the wrong combination of warmth and breathability and you won’t be able to do anything about it 🙂

nant
    Free Member

Crazy, you ask for recommendations and go for what you recommended for yourself anyway lol.

The nano is a nice jacket.

scruff9252

Buffalo Active Shirt. Toasty & warm. Mostly waterproof (not taped seams but waterproof fabric) dries out really quickly.

Ideal for this time of year until the heavyweight Alpkit Filo gets pulled out for mid winter…

jam-bo

not sure Buffalo’s have ever been fashionable…

matt_outandabout

The nano is a nice jacket.

Yes it is, but it is made by Patagonia so (now) likely to have poor QC, weak lightweight fabrics and b*gg*r all ‘customer service’.

(And I have been a lifelong Patagonia fanboi, buying staff uniform and owning dozens of bits of their gear. Not any more)

BadlyWiredDog

For actual real world outdoor use, the Rab Alpha Direct jacket is brilliant. It’s kind of a lighter, 21st Century Buffalo. Breathes and wicks super well and warm enough for active use in cold conditions as an outer layer or stick a shell over the top and use it as a glorified fleece.

From memory the Nano Air has about as much wind resistance as a fishnet stocking, which is fine, unless it’s windy, which happens sometimes outside. Black Diamond does a similar thing that’s a bit more wind friendly. But for mostly casual use, I doubt it’ll matter much anyway.

footflaps

not sure Buffalo’s have ever been fashionable…

They look awful (and I used to have one).

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

If you can have one item of clothing that you can throw on or throw in the car and be reasonably sure that (within reason) whatever weather occurs you’ll be fine that’s a big plus over worrying about packing multiple layers of this that and the other.

Not to me. Single garments are a risk, because there’s a good chance you’ll have the wrong combination of warmth and breathability and you won’t be able to do anything about it [/quote]

I understand your point if you’re going on a serious hike, or you’re mountain biking or similar. But if you’re just walking the dog, or going for a drive to maybe have a walk around a forest or something and the weather might change (but you’re not expecting blizzards) then having something you can just throw on over a t-shirt is great.

ton
    molgrips
    Free Member

I layer when just out and about too. It’s rarely cold enough for me to need anything other than a waterproof anyway, and if it is I just have a fleece on underneath as a jumper. I’d need a pretty wide and expensive range of stuff to improve on that.

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

I layer when just out and about too. It’s rarely cold enough for me to need anything other than a waterproof anyway, and if it is I just have a fleece on underneath as a jumper. I’d need a pretty wide and expensive range of stuff to improve on that.

No, you would just need one good jacket.

footflaps

Well I’ve been searching for such a thing for 30 years and still not found it, must have 25+ jackets now, plus all the ones I’ve sold on….

jimjam
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Well I’ve been searching for such a thing for 30 years and still not found it, must have 25+ jackets now, plus all the ones I’ve sold on….

Errrrrr…..so you have 25 jackets and you’re still looking for a good one ?

footflaps

Errrrrr…..so you have 25 jackets and you’re still looking for a good one ?

A better one, yes…

It’s a hobby.

molgrips
    Free Member

One jacket that is comfortable at 18 degrees in the rain and also -3 degrees? Good luck with that!

The only way that would work is if you could remove some of the insulation. Maybe if the insulation layer could be somehow separated from the outer shell.. hmm.. there’s an idea 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Went for the Nano Air in the end, found a place local to me that stocked Patagonia, Arcteryx and more, tried the Nano Air and just felt right straight from the off. Great fit, warm, comfortable and looks like it deflects minor drizzle and rain pretty well. The mrs even approved, which was most surprising given the price!

I’ve got a Nano Air, it’s just about the only top I’ve worn the last few years, but wouldn’t use it for walking/climbing as they’re so expensive and feel a bit delicate, I just use it to mince around Tesco Waitrose. Most of my proper gear is Berghaus, ME, Rab, Macpac, (old) Karrimor, stuff that I don’t mind trashing.

footflaps

One jacket that is comfortable at 18 degrees in the rain and also -3 degrees? Good luck with that!

yep in a typical week cycling to work, I’ll wear at least 3 different jackets depending on the temp / precipitation…

jimjam
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

This is silly. Do you often get 20+ degree fluctuations in temperature during your day? You’re going to have a rough idea what the day holds.

Even then it’s not like you can’t ad a layer under a jacket if it’s not warm enough, or throw a rainshell over it if it’s not waterproof enough.

90% of the posters on this forum probably have a house coming down with bloody baselayers and jerseys and technical fabrics – anyone who spends any time cycling in variable conditions probably will. If you want to layer up so that you can manage your breathability and moisture concerns and carrying another layer or two then of course do so.

All I’m saying is that there are some pretty good jackets out there that will cope with most of the shit most people do most of the time and probably a lot more besides, and owning such a garment is handy. Jesus.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is silly. Do you often get 20+ degree fluctuations in temperature during your day? You’re going to have a rough idea what the day holds.

No, but you do over the year – so you acknowledge you need a different jacket for summer and winter?

And during the day you often do – I’ve used jacket and fleece in the morning, and put the fleece in my bag for the afternoon. I do that frequently.

Jesus

All I’m saying (without wishing to annoy anyone) is that layering can work very well and be more convenient than trying to get one jacket for every eventuality. Just an alternative point of view for the OP to consider.

I am warm blooded, so I cannot use an insulated jacket unless it’s pretty cold.

footflaps

Can be about 15deg in Sep/Oct, crispy commute in and then warm ride back in the sun. On those sorts of days I normally take a different jacket for the ride home, or just ride home in a T-shirt.

dragon
    Free Member

One jacket that is comfortable at 18 degrees in the rain and also -3 degrees?

A modern Primaloft jacket with DWR treatment would just about do that for low level exercise. You’d be a bit warm and a touch cold at either ends of the scale, but you’d be ok. TBH not many jackets are going to be pleasant at 18 degC in the rain, as you’ll over heat.

If it’s for mtbing or other higher exertion exercise then you’ll need to use layers to cover that range of temps. But I wouldn’t want to be mtbing in a Patagonia nano puff or other Primaloft jacket as you’d be way too warm.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The really thin insulated jackets I find the most useful (primaloft 1, 60, gold???). You can actually walk / cycle in them on a chilly day (canal type stuff, start of a ride etc) lunch stops, pre / post ride faff, sitting outside cafe, mechanical stop etc, and they pack small. So unless it’s super alpine styli, then I’ll often pack one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘One for the outdoor/fashiony types – New jacket/fleece/hoody’ is closed to new replies.