Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • On one inbred ,, any good
  • andykeiran
    Free Member

Can I have people’s thoughts on the on one inbred 26 er , thanks

tomhoward

I like mine. Set up single speed with 120mm rebas.

What specifically do you want to know?

ski
    Free Member

Form a sentence with the following words:

Paint
    Chain suck
    Rust
    Cheap
    Popular
    Brant
    D76
    Fun
    Singlespeed

😉

letmetalktomark

I’m afraid I can only comment on the 29ers.

I’ve had two.

I’ve just taken delivery of one of the SS specific frames.

Aesthetically very nice. Finish seems good as does alignment.

One thing that’s noticeable is the weight. It weighs a fair bit more than advertised. My 19.5″ is dead on. 6lbs.

Edit: would seem that the page information has been updated to reflect actual weight.

That said they aren’t a lot of money.

Time will tell on durability of finish etc but happy so far 😛

leeph
    Free Member

I love my inbred. For short blasts and easy maintanance – nothing comes close.

XT brakes, Raceface cranks, exotic carbon forks. Love it!

Will be selling my cotic soul soon since it never gets used since I bought the inbred!

jordie
    Free Member

I like my Inbred its a rusty,heavy,got full length mud guards,covered in dents and scratches Singlespeed but its the bike I ride most. It just keeps on going

Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of one of the SS specific frames.

Have you built it yet? I got mine weeks ago, but i’m still collecting parts…

darrell
    Free Member

had one for 7 years now. still not rusty despite living at the coast in Norway.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m running one as a cheap hack between getting the full sus serviced and it’s been good. So good I’m considering keeping it as it is and then rebuilding the full sus with new parts.

letmetalktomark

95% complete.

Just need to trim the steerer.

Northwind

Check out the Scandal too- I had a 1st gen scandal and tbh once I’d tried that, it seems the only thing the bred has going for it is a slightly lower price. Oh and possibly rack mounts? But the scandal is a class above imo.

Duffer
    Free Member

95% complete.

Just need to trim the steerer.

How’ve you built it?

letmetalktomark

Flows, Fargo V2 fork, BB7s, Deore crank, Thomson stem and post, hope headset.

I had the majority of the bits.

Built solely to attach a child carrier to 😉

Inbred456
    Free Member

I fail to see how the design of a frame or the material it’s made from can cause chain suck. I never suffered from chain suck on mine, but I only ever used cheap deore steel gears. I did suffer from a battered @rse though.

carlphillips
    Free Member

Got a new 29er yet to be built, but liked the 456 and ss26er and scandal I’ve had in the past. Never had chain suck on any of them.

ratherbeintobago

Check out the Scandal too- I had a 1st gen scandal and tbh once I’d tried that, it seems the only thing the bred has going for it is a slightly lower price.

It’s also no more – being replaced any day now by the Parkwood.

I’d also wonder when t’Inbred is due a revision (650B or, more importantly, 44mm HT)

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ve got 2, both SS. Pub bike & burly mtb with fatbar, 120 Rebas, Stans etc.

They’ve gone everywhere & done everything.

Really cheap so you can spend money on bits.

lee170
    Free Member

I sold a carbon whyte 19 and replaced it with a inbred 26er,
    There really good bikes, I have mine setup with a recon 85-130mm travel, handles all the rough stuff fine.
    The paintwork does seem to chip a lot easier than any alu bikes I’ve had but I’m still pleased overall.
    Never had chain suck either. I run a 1×9 set up to.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I thought my mates was crap, it might’ve been the set up, but it just felt dead.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Had 2 (1 S/S, 1 geared 853), for the money they’re ace. Had the S/S frame custom painted (orange, before it was fashionable), popped RC31’s on it and a 34/17 set up. Loved it to bits but convinced myself that I needed a F/S and sold it to fund the purchase. Biggest cycling mistake I ever made. 🙁 😳

yogibear
    Free Member

I’ve got one set up ss and fully rigid. I bought it last year to take the worst of the mud through the winter. Rode the same trails as I did on my full sus and it was so much fun. Love it!

yogibear
    Free Member

Some rust though

vincienup
    Free Member

Capable frame for the price, bit dull compared to steel frames made of nicer stuff but that’s not really a fair comparison. Those seat stays always jar me a little, but it’s built to a tight price and places function over form.

If you’re expecting it to ride like Tange/Series 9/853/RaceLight then you’ll discover there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

I liked mine but I retired it for a more engaging frame.

Personal choice. I’ve seen Inbreds at Enduros over the last year if that means anything… 🙂

chestrockwell

One of my mates loves his. It’s a 29er set up with carbon forks and an Alfine hub. Sold his fs to pay for the Alfine.

Another mate just sold his. He liked it but has gone back to fs. It was an xl and the short head tube always annoyed him.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Mine has a really short head tube so guess it’s an early one. Seems pretty indestructible, got hit while stationary by a car going at 30MPH and it survived. Wish I still had my Scandal, that was a rocket.

chestrockwell

The one my mate had was only a year or so old so the head tube is still short on the bigger sizes.

booktownman
    Free Member

@Inbred456 re chain suck: I’ve noticed on mine that with a triple the outer chainring is very, very close to the chainstay – so close I can’t wrap a bit of innertube around the stay to protect it.

Really happy with the bike, though. Bought a cheap frame 2nd hand, built with spares and 2nd hand cack for winter/XC/messing with the kids.

Milt
    Free Member

loved my Inbred (from around 2008) but the chain stay snapped due to chain suck – this was due to the clearance between the chainrings & chainstay being so small. think I was running a octalink 121mm axle.

was well aware my chainstay was wearing through but just carried on until it went.

pretty sure the chainstay design has changed to alleviate this problem though.

would of bought another to replace it but they were out of stock at the time & went for a similar frame 853 & don’t notice much difference.

noltae
    Free Member

I keep thinking of ‘upgrading’ my ss 29er inbred frame – but never find anything that convinces me it will be significantly better …

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Been riding inbred frames for years…initially 26″ and past few years got a 29er version. For the money you cant beat them IMO. You get people on here saying they are common and shite etc but they tend to be the type that are desperate to be different and/or trying to justify why they have spent 5x as much on their ‘better’ frame. IMO, etc. . 😉

johnnystorm

Bought an SS 29er LE when they were £99 and promptly sold my swift as I couldn’t tell them apart ride wise. Brilliant bikes full stop, that they are so cheap is an added bonus.

satchm00
    Free Member

Ditched my Giant anthem fs frame in favour of the inbred. Not regretted it, suits my riding style and didn’t cost the earth which makes a change.

takisawa2

Had a few. 29er was the best, but best guise for the 26″ was either a 120mm suspension fork or 29er rigid fork.

letmetalktomark

I don’t believe it to be a fair comparison of an Inbred against other frames.

In its price bracket it’s relatively unchallenged but pitted against more expensive frames I don’t believe it stacks up.

That said see first point re comparison 😉

I had a Swapout 29er (in Apple Sauce) a couple of years ago and loved it despite its heft. That said would I trade it for my Skookum or Fortitude probably not.

cardo

Our MTB Club is full of Inbreds..(the bikes :lol:) Most of them are 29ers running Singlespeed but they are great, cheap, tough frames…

johnj2000
    Free Member

leeph – Member
    I love my inbred. For short blasts and easy maintanance – nothing comes close.
    XT brakes, Raceface cranks, exotic carbon forks. Love it!
    Will be selling my cotic soul soon since it never gets used since I bought the

How is it any easier to maintain than the soul or any other hardtail frame for that matter? And why sell the soul and keep the inbred? Interested as I quite fancy a Soul or something similar but i am all for low maintenance options.

letmetalktomark

Just finished building my 29er SS for use with a child seat.

Feels like a big BMX to ride 😛 as I sized down from a 21” to a 19.5”

core

I’ve got a 26″ barry white edition inbred set up rigid & singlespeed (with dmr tensioner), 32 x 17 for use around the farm and bit of back lanes round and about. Built with cheapy/cast off parts from other bikes.

I really like the feel of it, like above, almost feels like a big bmx, quite playful and direct (rigid forks obv. help), it’s a good laugh blasting down the tram lines on a steep wheat field!

Only thing I don’t like is the cheap, heavy, short on one forks, which I might change in time if something better comes up at the right price. I’d happily stick the parts off my genesis core onto it and ride it everywhere if that frame died!

Inbred456
    Free Member

Booktownman does yours have the little indent to clear the chain ring, mine did. I know the clearance is tight and chainsuck can catch the tube but I don’t think they are any more prone to chainsuck than any other frame or set up. It was a great bike downhill, very stable but just a bit harsh for me at the back. I obviously wasn’t as gnarr as I thought I was!!! Changed it for a Kili flyer 853 hand fillet brazed lovelyness. I could never get away with the short head tube as well. 20 inch 456 mint dark blue frame surplus to requirements.

booktownman
    Free Member

Not sure if it has/had the indent as the chainstay looks like it’s suffered from meeting the chain a few times too often. The frame I’ve got is the Bazza White one too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘On one inbred ,, any good’ is closed to new replies.