• This topic has 47 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by trout.
Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • On one fatty. Should I buy one?
  • crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Rover, the Wazoo is currently at its 499rrp and plenty of people don’t have or don’t know about BC discount. And if having saved searches on eBay has taught me anything it’s that people will pay ‘new’ prices for used stuff through ignorance (like Supersix hi mod frames selling for a grand when Paul’s Cycles were knocking em out for 750) and the few Wazoos that have popped up there are close to rrp.

I also don’t think 1 test ride or demo is enough to get to know a bike, especially one that rides significantly differently. It took me a while and lots of granny ring climbing to grow to hate my Nomad (which had been a dream bike).

But yes, I am riding a 400 quid bike whilst a closer to 4000 quid bike gathers dust..

So OP, yes buy a budget fat bike, be it a Fatty or otherwise!

singlespeedstu

The question is though. Just how does your fatbike ride compared to a decent fatbike? 😉
    It’s a bit like coming from a road riding background and buying a £400 MTB and thinking this is the shiznit because it has up and downy bits that seem to smooth bumps out.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The question is though. Just how does your fatbike ride compared to a decent fatbike?

A blind test would be interesting (if dangerous). I bet a stopwatch couldn’t find where the £s went.

singlespeedstu

Blind fatbike strava racing.
    Only on STW. 😀

Northwind

singlespeedstu – Member

The question is though. Just how does your fatbike ride compared to a decent fatbike?

Another question is, how much would STW pay for a Dune or Wazoo frame if it said Salsa on the side 😆 More than you pay for the whole bike, I reckon.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I’ve no idea as I don’t know anyone with a decent fat bike to have a back-to-back ride on, I wasn’t prepared to drop big money on what was effectively an extended demo and risk losing a fortune if I didn’t like it or couldn’t get on with it. What was your first fat bike and how much did it cost?

It’s a bit like coming from a road riding background and buying a £400 MTB and thinking this is the shiznit because it has up and downy bits that seem to smooth bumps out

Isn’t that exactly what people do with cycling, and sport in general? Neither my first MTB, my first full suss nor my first road bike, motorbike, snowboard, camera etc etc cost as much as I currently own, pretty sure I’m not alone in that regard!

singlespeedstu

Another question is, how much would STW pay for a Dune or Wazoo frame if it said Salsa Surly on the side

Though to be fair they did invent the whole fatbike thing so it’s only to be rightfully expected.

Isn’t that exactly what people do with cycling, and sport in general?

So you agree with my casual observation then. 😉
    STW pointless arguing aside you’ll soon discover the whole +size thing and never go near a fatbike again. 😈

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘On one fatty. Should I buy one?’ is closed to new replies.