• This topic has 131 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)
  • On One Carbon 456
  • plyphon
    Free Member

Buying a 2nd hand C456 with 140mm Revs, XT groupset, SLX mech etc etc for £700.

Should be here Thursday.

Cannot. Wait.

D0NK

been running one singlespeed with 120mm forks and cheap-ish kit, for 18months now, very happy with it. Next spring I’m thinking of trying it with gears, 140mm forks and nice kit, see how it goes, might get another 🙂

daveh
    Free Member

Back end less harsh than my Rocky Ridge’s was, not that I found that particularly harsh. The C456 is almost as good as my Rocky Ridge was (yes I did like it alot!).

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Magazine reviews can be so subjective/rubbish that they are mostly a waste of time. I remember a WhatMTB review of Endura Humvees that said they were dated and no better than average. A year later they said they were a great pair of shorts. Neither one mentioned dodgy stitching or zips that fail. Pointless.

mrphil
    Free Member

My C456 will be getting rode for nearly 80 miles tomorrow, including road, cycle path and Delemere forest.

Hell i’m even going to ride up Kelsall Hill again in full MTB mode.

All this about the back end being stiff, triangles, stress points blah blah.

Get on the bloody things and pedel them, if you don’t own one then try one long term over various terrains then make your minds up.

I will now let the willy waving commence on how wrong I am….

daveh
    Free Member

Sounds about right to me. The majority portion of the enjoyment is in the riding, the banter and the adventure. The minor bit is the bike, as long as it doesn’t fall apart it’ll do. I’ve spent several hundred quid this year buying bits I didn’t really need, what I needed to do was ride more such that I was fit enough to enjoy riding. Ho hum.

Northwind

Hopk1ns, it is not worth getting into. You can’t make a credible claim that On One get inferior reviews or coverage due to not being an advertiser, the facts simply contradict what you’re claiming. But it doesn’t seem like you’re that bothered?

mingerocket
    Free Member

Great,frame,great customer service,had mine for 12 months now.its been used and abused at trail centers,the peak district and north Wales,takes everything I throw at it.climbs really well and descends even better (120 forks and drop post).
    I run this alongside a 5.5 inch full suss but the 456 feels far more involved and a lot more agile,true the paint job is a bit shitty,mine looks like its done two tours of Afghanistan its got that many chunks missing.but then again it is a mountain bike

hora
    Free Member

Bikeradar is a business to make ££.

Im sure I saw them recently in the Peaks. Like a multi-colouredclothing clownfest 😆

stumpyjumper
    Free Member

OW what size are you after. I have just built up my 16 c456 to save my five from the glom of winter. It’s a full 27 spd avid brakes sensible wheels and tires with 145 forks. If you fancy a go we could meet up at the peak sometime. I’m from Leeds and haven’t ridden the peak in years. Bike hire in exchange for a bit of guiding?
    Drop me a mail at andywoodmtbATgmail.com

Cheers

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Northwind- there’s a moderator on bikeradar forum called Northwind. That’s odd you on here defending the corporation. I guess your not the same one, well I guess you’ll say that anyway.

Northwind

Course it’s me. Your point? I’m not an employee or affiliate, I mod it for the same reason I mod other forums- I’m an internet addict 😉

Seriously, give the review database a fair look- you’ll be surprised. On One are reviewed so often and so well that people on here have accused Future of bias because they’re all Brant’s bffs.

gmex619
    Free Member

OW, I too am a C456 rider. I’ve got 11 other bikes in my fleet and have had around 25 total. FS and HT. I was a little scepticle when I bought my C456 frame but when I built it I knew it’s a keeper. It’s gone from a 1 brake 140mm u turn ss build too a 1×9 160mm with XO,Saint,Hope,Reverb jobby. Basically it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden. I’m only based around Huddersfield but I do travel around alot over Manchester way so I could come and let you have a try of mine if you wanted and aren’t too many miles away. (I’d get some riding time then too, I don’t know many trails around here.)

To be blunt, The C456 ~IN MY OPINION~ is one of the best hardtails around. And by far the best value for money. (I paid £250 for mine and it has a full 12 month warranty)

If you want too try mine and your not miles away then drop me a email, it’s in my profile. (It’s a 18″)

hora
    Free Member

Gmex fancy the hebbers ride tomorrow than tons organising? 😀

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Ok Northwind let’s call a truce on this. I’m not singling bikeradar out, all mags are the same and you have to read between the lines on any review as they are all businesses.

Maybe the 2nd reviewer had just spent the last two years on a fs.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers for the offers guys, I’m 6ft bang on so thinking I’d need a 18″ ……be honest I’m quite excited about going for a hardtail…I like the fact I can just swap everything over, all I’d need is a new headset to take my forks, and it gives the added bonus I’d finally be able to run a reverb!

Only problem is I want a Matt black one and they don’t appear to do them anymore? am I being blind as the on one site isn’t the easiest to navigate!

monogramman
    Free Member

18″ 465 un-decaled

Says avaliable early, so I’d assume there on there way?

Northwind

Hopk1ns – Member

Maybe the 2nd reviewer had just spent the last two years on a fs.

I honestly think he was just a ****ing idiot tbh. What’s the line, “Never attribute to maliciousness what can attributed to incompetence”. It’s not just like mine rides nothing like they describe- it’s that no bike ever rides like they describe!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

18″ 465 un-decaled Says avaliable early, so I’d assume there on there way?[/quote]

Good spot mate getting seriously close to ordering one, you still thinking about it too? You’d be running it as a second bike right?

deserter
    Free Member

I got one just to try it as I didn’t believe the hype and at the time they were cheap as chips, after a couple of rides I sold my 5spot, that being said where I ride isn’t the roughest so it was probably the change I needed

jambon
    Free Member

Sizing-wise – at 6′ 1/2″ I got a 20″ and it’s perfect with an 80mm stem.

If you look at at the geometry, there is very little (I mean the width of a dog end) in reach/wheel base between the 16″, 18″ and 20″. The main difference is Head tube height and, obviously, seat tube.

Personally I think this weird sizing is the frame’s only weakness. I’d have liked to have run a 50mm-60mm stem but that’d be too short for me.

How on earth shorter types get on I’ve no idea – the difference between the 14″ and 16″ is huge then, as I say, the 3 other sizes are kinda the same.

I’d love Brant to explain this one.

Oh, only other weakness is lack of dropper post cable guide.

Mbnut
    Free Member

They are kinda ugly but then they look ok when built… this one is a 16” and is for sale but I think you are right and a 18” would be just right for you.

inthehouse
    Free Member

My c456 frame arrived 6 weeks ago,i finally got the last piece i needed to put together today(slackset headset),has anyone had issues installing?my headset seems 1/2 maybe 1mm too small for the cups,on the instructions it says to push in by hand then obviously press in with tool,
    took it to my lbs,we agreed that forcing it could be an issue,anyone had the same problem?

Northwind

My Slackset went in pretty much like any other headset. Got it direct from Works rather than On One but I doubt that makes any difference?

hora
    Free Member

Inthehouse does it need a slackset?

inthehouse
    Free Member

Hora,having the hs dimensions of the frame, thought by buying 456 specific hs would make it a whole load of hassle free building tbh.

jambon
    Free Member

Does it need a slackset? – it’s pretty slack out of the box. Maybe with short forks but not with 160mm ones. Personally I think it’d get far to slow on switchbacks and the like any slacker.

Northwind

Certainly doesn’t need it- but with 140mm forks and the 2 degree slackener it takes on a different character, and a good one IMO (well, it’s close to a carbon summer season in fact)

What surprised me is that you’d expect it to climb worse, right? But actually it got better. Not quite as good on wiggly flat sections mind. But it’s good.

Not for everyone though.

chiefgrooveguru

What surprised me is that you’d expect it to climb worse, right?

Well seeing as it lowers the headset, steepens the seat tube angle and shifts the bikes centre of gravity forwards, well no, you wouldn’t! 😛

Northwind

My Hemlock got worse at climbing when I did the same mod 😉 Waggier.

monogramman
    Free Member

OW- Yes mate, its because i’ve got forks, wheels, and parts left from going 1×10 left over i’m thinking about a hardtail frame I can just stick the bits on.

MBnut – Not quite the colour combo i’m after but would that be about the right size for me, im about 5ft10. how much are you asking?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Forgot a photo. Here it is out in the wild doing special ops (or avoiding them).

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nice mono, get it done and ill come an take a peek! i like that matt black one the most, the orange looks nice in a press shot, but id have to see it built up/in the flesh before odering one…

and when i search for 456 carbon on singletrack i keep seeing threads where the frames were just £299! id snap one up at that price right now if they were, at the minute £399 is making me think twice, i know its only another 100quid, but id need a new headset and seat post and that would cover it!

plus the matt black isnt in stock either 🙁

andybanks
    Free Member

Eyup…

Finally got my C456 on the workstand yesterday to build it up. Not had chance to ride it yet and it needs some finishing.

I went for the subtle yellow. My theory is that at least I won’t need lights when riding this.

chakaping
    Free Member

i keep seeing threads where the frames were just £299! id snap one up at that price right now if they were, at the minute £399 is making me think twice,

You know how On One work.

Wait for a bit and you’ll get one cheaper. Unless you’re fussy about colour etc, then just pay for what you want.

jambon
    Free Member

To true.
    The £300 ones were either raw carbon (clear coat) or matte black with no decals. I’m guessing the flashier colours are more costly to produce. So my matte black one was £400 for frame, headset, Seatpost and delivery to Spain. Bargain.
    Now I have one MTB that really does it all.

Hmmmm would a 650b wheel fit ?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

matt black – £300 please on one if you are reading! 😉

daveh
    Free Member

And there’s me thinking I run a long stem at 90mm, that’s a whopper (and deeply unfashionable even if it’s absolutely perfect for you lol). love the colour though, my matt carbon is so dull.

andybanks
    Free Member

New stem is one the way with Santa and the steerer will get cut down once I’ve been out for a few rides and found the right height.

Colour is amazing though – although not to everyone’s taste.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘On One Carbon 456’ is closed to new replies.