Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • On-One 456 Summer v Cotic BFe
  • mamadirt
    Free Member

Anyone tried both? I am very tempted to scratch the hardtail itch with a(nother) tiny Inbred and quite like the idea of hanging onto my Lyriks. I have briefly owned an XS BFe – lovely little frame and pretty damn perfect with the Lyriks but a touch too long for me and although it felt great on the downhills with the Lyriks wound out I felt on small drops and stuff that I was about to be pitched over the front, whereas my Tazer coped fine – maybe the BFe was just too long for me or maybe the angles were a touch steeper than I was used to.

I know from experience that a tiny Inbred fits perfectly (heck, lil red was with me for almost 4 years – that’s gotta be a record 😉 ) but I guess what I need is for someone who’s tried both to confirm that yes, the Summer is indeed slacker.

I can’t afford to do the trial and error thing any more and all this frame swapping is getting a little tedious. I just want something to keep for another 4 years 😛

Feel free to post more hardtail pics. Everyone loves a photo thread 8)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The ss is slacker. It looks like more of a “plough bike” whereas the bfe is perhaps more manouverable. What stem length did you have on the bfe?

mamadirt
    Free Member

50mm stem so not much option to go shorter.

honourablegeorge

I have an as new Tazer frame, ano black, medium for sale, if it’s any use to you? It’s hardly used at all, never used offroad other than a few pumptrack sessions, with an Easton seatpost, FSA Headset & two sets of dropouts included?

honourablegeorge at gmail dot com

Pics here – forks and other bits are now gone.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Er, I’m guessing you mean this one – http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/intense-tazer-ht-frame-or-frame-forks. If only it was a small I could be tempted – had one identical (but in small) – beat me up something chronic but was a lovely lovely frame 😛

honourablegeorge

Yep, meant that one. Not very clever of me, posting someone else’s ad.

They’re a cool little thing, I just wasn’t using it, so most of the parts went on a Soul instead.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

(Shakes head in despair)

😐

andyl
    Free Member

isn’t there a 14″ 456 for sale in the classifieds?

GRAEMEJONES

Here you go, 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The BFe TT is shorter than the On Ones. Did you have the same bars on both? Were they set in the same position in the stem?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Please don’t encourage her, people.

It’s not funny, it’s an obsession. Quite disturbing really. 😐

No seriously it’s not normal behaviour is it? I mean, she’s lovely, but it’s not right this new tiny bike every five minutes.

mamadirt
    Free Member

My Inbred top tubes both measured 21.5″ and the BFe a tad under 22″ and yes, same bar/stem set up.

That raw Summer looks lovely 8)

Just found the 456 in the classifieds but it’s a standard not Summer so I guess would be slightly steeper angles – does look nice though. Sheesh, why do I have to be such a geometry anorak 🙄

Take no notice of Elf, you encourage all you like folks, not that it takes much 😉

GRAEMEJONES

The only thing that would get me to put it up for sale would be if Brant got around to making a 14″ carbon version,but I doubt that’s going to happen 😥
    mamadirt, JDI ,you know you’ll love it 😛

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

*Sigh*

Ah well.

A tiny rock Lobster 853 would suit you perfectly Mama. 13″ frame comes with 20.75″ effective top tube length. Sez 100mm, but can take up to a 120mm fork; my 15″ one has a 120mm Reba and rides really well.

Look; tiny, red, and in urban setting!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, reckon it would but it’d look a bit daft with my Lyriks up front and I can’t bring myself to part with them 😕 . Yours does look nice though 8)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

O noes!

RL 853 not available in 13″. 😥

Sorry. I thought it was. Wooduv bin perfect for you…

toys19
    Free Member

Mama, inbred is not a 456, geom is different. I’m 5’5 and my bfe with 40mmstem and 30mm risers is spot on. I have stumps for arms and legs. If you are in the sw any time try mine. I love it.

andyl
    Free Member

I was wondering why BFE, inbred and SS were being mentioned as they need different forks. What travel are your Lyriks? I am guessing well over 100mm hence why I suggested the 456.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Lyriks are 110-160 but I’d imagine that the 456 would be similar in geometry to the BFe – just hoping that the Summer may suit me better, being slacker.

I guess I can’t compare a 456 to my older Inbreds Toys19, although I’d hope that the toptube length was similar. I just felt that the BFe was a touch too long for me.

GRAEMEJONES

mamadirt, I’ve just measured the TT on mine and it’s 21 1/2 ” , so would be the same as your previous ones. HTH 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ah, the magic number 😀 . . . counts pennies

Cheers Graeme!

GRAEMEJONES

You’re Welcome, now then which colour to go for ? 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

gritstone, looks the cleanest even when its dirty…

mamadirt
    Free Member

😆

No orange left 👿

chiefgrooveguru

Standard 456 and BFe have very similar head angles with the same fork length, Summer Season is about 2 degrees slacker. Pretty big difference!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Hmmmmm, slacker it is then . . . drums fingers and waits for ebay stuff to sell 😕

5 red ones in stock at the mo’ 😛

GRAEMEJONES

And every one knows Red ones are faster. 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

8)

toys19
    Free Member

Hold that creditcard mamadirt, just measured my bfe xs toptube and its about 21 3/8ths centre of headtube to centre of seat tube. Perhaps newstyle bfe’s are a bit shorter? The offer of a spin on mine is open anytime you are near the shire.

Just off to FOD now but will take piccies tonight to show.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Thanks Toys, very much appreciated, but I’ve just pulled the trigger on a tiny 456 SS 😛 . I think the slacker angles will suit me better – being tiny I have no riding finesse/leverage to loft the front whatsoever which is probably why I like slack bikes so much 😆

Watch . . . as they say . . . this space 8)

Still post the pics though – haven’t been to FOD for ages although it’s not too far from me. Hopefully once I’m back on a hardtail again I can jump on the Lydney train on my day off 8)

RDL-82
    Free Member

Had a 456 SS for over a year, great bike going down always felt a chore going up. The BFe is great down and alot better going up. I found the 456SS rode a lot better at 120 than at 140 and indeed I’m prefering the BFe at 120.
    With a like for like component spec (although not in the pictures) I fell the BFe was/is the better of the two, having said that, it depends what you want. If you just want to balloon about then either, but for a more alrounder I’d pick the BFe out of the two.
    Oh and the 456SS is definitely slacker than the BFe.

Cotic BFe at Snowdon by e1ys1um, on Flickr

On-One 456 Summer Season by e1ys1um, on Flickr

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oh and the 456SS is definitely slacker than the BFe.

Excellent – just what I needed to know. Both look good 8)

Ooooh, it’s on its way too 😀

mamadirt
    Free Member

It’s arrived . . . with a paint job that just makes me smile 😛

I was expecting ‘ketchup red’ to be quite a dull, dark colour but it’s a lovely rich metallic, almost cherry red 8)

Top service from On-One – cheers guys!

billyboulders
    Free Member

Looks sweet, Going to be slacker than a slack thing with lyrics….And funner than a fun thing too 😀

Hurry up we want to see it built!

andyl
    Free Member

That’s tiny! Get it built.

PS ‘HELITAPE’ and chainstay protector!

GRAEMEJONES

That is very nice 😛 Just an idea, before you fit your chainset,I’ve got 4 zipties on the driveside chainstay just back from the BB. Then when your chain comes off the Granny ring it drops onto the zippies and doesn’t mangle your chainstay/paint. 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Good tip there Graeme but I only use a single ring so fingers crossed the eThirteen will take care of the chain. I’m gonna have to just look at it this evening I’m afraid . . . waiting on a seatpost, headset and seatclamp . . . fingers crossed for tomorrow eh? My first day back at work tomorrow too after 6 weeks off . . talk about bad timing 😕

Going to be slacker than a slack thing with lyrics….And funner than a fun thing too

That’s the plan 😛

GRAEMEJONES

Photo’s when built please !

mamadirt
    Free Member

Will do Graeme . . . watch this space 8)

rossmceachran
    Free Member

How glad i am to have come across this forum – I signed up just to reply. I got a bit of bargain on some lyriks but they’re too big for my Kona frame. I’m not about to give up the forks so thinking about upgrading with a new frame that can take the travel, choosing between the BFe and 456 SS (although shame the lime green isn’t in stock).

The price difference is obvious, and the 456 looks so good – will be great to see her built and hear how she rides.

Watching with envy…..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘On-One 456 Summer v Cotic BFe’ is closed to new replies.