Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Olympic summer…..must be time for a strike
  • MSP

No I will be returning to my cave at the pumping heart of global capitalism. Thanks.

So despite your eagerness to volunteer, you actually have no useful skills.

MSP

double post.

ransos
    Free Member

5. Me and like minded souls volunteer to make the games work rather than die of national embarrasment.

Really? Of all the things the UK does, this is what bothers you the most?

binners

No I will be returning to my cave at the pumping heart of global capitalism. Thanks.

You work in Macdonalds?

mcboo
    Free Member

So despite your eagerness to volunteer, you actually have no useful skills.

Thats OK I have a positive mental attitude, I’m a fast learner and an incredibly hard worker.

kimbers

its fine the worlds largest Macdonalds is opening in the olympic site

have you been sent to work there or you’ll loose your benefits?

The fast food company is a long-standing sponsor of the Olympics, and as a result has a monopoly on all the catering outlets within the Olympic park in Stratford, east London.

definately makes me proud to be british

bonj
    Free Member

As far as i can tell, a strike of the olympics would be great, since it would achieve the best of both worlds. It would achieve its objective, to cause inconvenience to the government, but instead of disrupting normal people’s* everyday lives as a consequence, it’s only really (or mainly) disrupting the interests of those rich and bored enough to attend one specific sporting event, or better still, those hoping to make money by sponsoring it.

*(for instance parents with schoolkids, people whose house might catch fire, people travelling on tubes, people who need coal, etc etc)

binners

The worlds largest Macdonalds? Blimey! Are there enough Vauxhall Corsa’s in the country to park outside it?

oldgrump08
    Free Member

We’re all going to Hell in a handcart 🙁

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences – sounds like the perfect time to hold a strike.

What is the synopsis of the thread so far?

(And how have I got to 35 and not realised that thread is an anagram of hatred – certainly explains a lot)

kimbers

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

I struggle with long sentences – sounds like the perfect time to hold a strike.

What is the synopsis of the thread so far?

all the stw lefties are chuckling at the thought of the olympics being disrupted by strikes

all the stw righties* are planning to form a strikebreaking scab coalition to do drive the tubes/ crack some pinko heads

*(mcboo may not be able to get time off from maccyDs though)

mcboo
    Free Member

Oh Kimbers…..lefties just chuckle, righties crack heads? You been listening to too much Billy Bragg fella? I’m a lover not a fighter.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

So, I’ll throw it out there. If I don’t like my job, or the conditions of said job, or the pay, or the benefits it is my choice to leave said job. I could then find a new job with the benefits etc. I wanted.

See this is the problem with the private sector mentality. Instead of withdrawing their labour for a day or more, inconveniencing their customers and their employers for a short period of time they up sticks and move jobs.

Consequently they cause their employers months of problems as adverts are put out, interviews are held, and finally the lucky replacement is selected; a start date is agreed where he/she can begin to take up the role vacated by the original employee.

During all this time it is not only the employer who suffers but also the customers that are not serviced to their satisfaction and the remainder of the workforce are inconvenienced by having to ‘take up the slack’ left by our errant, selfish and demanding worker.

Even worse all the other employees who may well have been happy are now dissatisfied: 1) because they have had to do lots more work and 2) because the bloke who left is on a better deal than them, they are pee’d off and decide to move jobs them selves.

Thus the cycle of inconvenience and dissatisfaction continue ad infinitum.

Such a shame they weren’t in a union then collective bargaining could have kept them all happy, and the company could have gone on to be even more successful with happy staff, happy customers, happy shareholders and happy bosses.

bonj
    Free Member

Helped by recruitment agents who will quite happily recruit a new manager for a company and then try to recruit his new staff off him back out to a different company.

Lifer
    Free Member

Recruitment Agent is such a non-job.

lunge

Lifer, interesting thought, any reason why? I’m assuming to make this point you have worked in the industry?

project
    Free Member

Ha another good reason to cancel the giant school type sports event before it bankrupts us even more.

Fuel tanker drivers are loking at striking soon.

loum
    Free Member

loum – Member
    1) There will be no Olympic strikes, its all posturing for position, and public opinion would ensure there is no support.

bonj – Member
    As far as i can tell, a strike of the olympics would be great, since it would achieve the best of both worlds. It would achieve its objective, to cause inconvenience to the government, but instead of disrupting normal people’s* everyday lives as a consequence, it’s only really (or mainly) disrupting the interests of those rich and bored enough to attend one specific sporting event, or better still, those hoping to make money by sponsoring it.

*(for instance parents with schoolkids, people whose house might catch fire, people travelling on tubes, people who need coal, etc etc)

When you put it like that, I’m back in favour. I’ll happily cycle to the events I’m going to. Won’t be crossing any picket lines though.
    For those that do end up as CMD’s super strike-busting scab squad, can I have those tickets that you won’t be needing anymore please?

djc1245
    Free Member

The Unite union, of which i am a member, didn’t bother doing anything when my pension was as good as wiped out a few years back, and they aren’t saying a lot as my job is in serious jeopardy. But then again i work for a private company. Might not be in a union for much longer though. Len McClusky is an odious piece of shite, bet he isn’t short of cash

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Such a shame they weren’t in a union then collective bargaining could have kept them all happy, and the company could have gone on to be even more successful with happy staff, happy customers, happy shareholders and happy bosses

bollocks, I’m collectively bargained and we just got shafted with the unions consent yet again

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Might not be in a union for much longer though. Len McClusky is an odious piece of shite, bet he isn’t short of cash

I thought he was one of those union leaders who live in a council house with their £100k p.a. salary blocking accesss to social housing

brooess
    Free Member

We need to get used to the feeling of not being as wealthy as we thought we were – Dig in and get used to it.
    We won’t suddenly be poor, just not as rich as we thought we were for the last 15 years, and the gap between us and other countries just won’t be as great.
    I’m not convinced the money we thought we had was exactly making us happy anyway, more like obese and depressed if you look at the stats. We just spanked it on TV’s iPods, cars, holidays and over-priced houses etc

so it may not actually be a bad thing…

Northwind

lunge – Member

So, I’ll throw it out there. If I don’t like my job, or the conditions of said job, or the pay, or the benefits it is my choice to leave said job. I could then find a new job with the benefits etc. I wanted.

Is it stating the obvious… This is not about improving conditions, or pay, or benefits- it’s about retaining them. It’s not remotely comparable.

AndyP
    Free Member

AndyP – that’s not logical thought that’s simplfying to absurdity.
    no, it’s entirely logical. This isn’t some Nazi labour camp where a gun is held to your head to keep you working. You have the choice to go elsewhere, any time you want.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

listening to… Billy Bragg

I’ve never understood why people do this. 😕

Viewing 25 posts - 81 through 105 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Olympic summer…..must be time for a strike’ is closed to new replies.