Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Older used bike or cheaper newer bike
  • bencadec
    Free Member

Hi all
    Looking at buying my first full sus when all this is over and have been browsing pinkbike for around the 1500-2000 mark. Would it be better to get a much higher spec used bike from 2017 (think fox 36 factory etc) or get a lower spec 2019 bike (think rockshox yari etc). I have heard quite a lot about frame fatigue on aluminium frames and am concerned that the older bike will be like a wet noodle on the trail. Also would the suspension on the older 2017 be worse than a 2019 cheaper yari?
    Many Thanks
    Ben

chiefgrooveguru

“I have heard quite a lot about frame fatigue on aluminium frames and am concerned that the older bike will be like a wet noodle on the trail.”

That’s not how aluminium fatigue works. The stiffness stays the same until the frame breaks. Frames are designed to withstand a lot of use before cracking from fatigue.

If you can get a slightly older bike with the geometry you want and it’s been looked after then it’s likely to be higher performance than a new one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Depends what bike really. I’d focus on the frame geometry and some brands were pretty good by 2017, others much less so.

What kind of bike you after?

bencadec
    Free Member

alright thanks. Good to know it wont be wobbly. The bikes i am looking at are a 2017 transition patrol and a 2019 nukeproof mega comp. They both have the geometry that i want – slack and aggressive. Leaning towards the transition because of the much higher spec and it looks sooo much better.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Patrol for sure. Mate had one (carbon mind) and I absolutely loves it.

chiefgrooveguru

Geometry is very similar, a medium in both is within millimetres and fractions of degrees.

Simon

I’d go new.
    There’s a lot of unkowns with a used bike (worn drivetrain, temperamental brakes, un-serviced shock&fork, worn frame bearings etc) potentially expensive things to put right. I’d rather have a lower spec bike with all new bits.
    Although metal fatigue on a 3 year old bike wouldn’t concern me.

jaylittle
    Free Member

I was in a similar situation, wanted something that could handle the odd enduro but could handle a good pedal in the Dale’s. Bought a Canyon Spectral 5.0 which I thought was pretty good value. I know some people aren’t into buying bikes online but the direct saving price was worth it for me.

dc1988

I’d go new as well, you can get a lot of bike for £2k these days and having owned a top spec bike I’m not convinced it’s worth it. Replacing parts is far more expensive and the quality/longevity/performance isn’t really that significant. Buying new you also know what you’re getting, a used bike could be costly just with normal wear and tear parts, you might need new brake pads, chain/cassette, brake pads, bearings, suspension service etc.

chestrockwell

All depends what your priorities are really. The forks will be better on the 2nd hand bike but might need a service, same for most of the other parts. I didn’t really like my Yari’s but they can be upgraded. I’m not really sure which way I’d go tbh, I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer but with everything that’s going on at the mo I’d maybe not rush and keep an eye out for a great deal on a new bike.

steveh

Right now calibre sentry with the 15% off everything code would be a huge amount of bike for just over 2k for the pro model

chakaping
    Free Member

I would look for a new bike with a nice discount – or maybe build something up with discounted parts.

Bird had some good 27in frames going cheep (geddit?) and there are some decent DVO forks on SportPursuit for £400, SLX 12sp groupset (£300ish?), there are always cheap wheels at CRC or Superstar or used (I could flog you a nice pair actually). Brand X dropper and a bit more finishing kit and you’re sorted for well under £2k.

funkmasterp

I’d go used, as I always do and just spend your time looking for the right thing. Go and have a look if needed, but don’t commit to buying. I’ve had some really great bikes at bargain prices.

No way could I have afforded my current HT, purchased a fortnight ago, if I was buying new. It’s in stunning condition and a top spec.

2018 Cotic Soul
    Guide Ultimate brakes
    SRAM Roam carbon wheels
    Fox factory dropped and 34 forks
    XX1 Drive train
    Brand new Hope cranks
    Renthal Carbon bar

Amongst other things and cost me £1.7k

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Older used bike or cheaper newer bike’ is closed to new replies.