Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Older short travel forks….
  • matt_outandabout

Thinking of some older (i.e. cheap and with canti studs) SID/Skareb/Duke/xFly’s etc for a kids bike.

Anyone else done this? Other than abused forks, any issues or thoughts…

(and if anyone has a pair….)

wwaswas

get something air sprung and as light as possible.

my son got on fine with some older SIDS.

z1ppy

Reba’s can be shortened to less than their supposed minimum 80mm travel, by adding more “all travel spacers”. Not sure if that really helps you or not, but worth bearing in mind…

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Manitou are the way to go – you’ll get a set on the bay for pennies.

letmetalktomark

I would second what Zippy said.

Reba forks have a good deal of adjustment – I ran a pair at 65mm travel by tailoring the spacers. Also easy to change damping properties with different weight oils etc.

Bonus with the Reba I guess is that its a fork worthy of sticking with as the kiddi sinks develop.

Not going to be as cheap as a set of Manitou or older RS forks but piece of cake to maintain etc

matt_outandabout

Does shortening travel on a Reba also shorten Axle-crown?

moniex
    Free Member

Got some dukes for my son and they are great! Easy to adjust to his 32kg weight!

I think there were some on pinkbike recently?

Simone

z1ppy

matt_outandabout – Member

Though I’ve never done it, I believe so, it actually reduced the amount of stanchion on show, not just the internal travel

onewheelgood

I’ve got an old pair of Manitou SX Ti off a ’99 Mount Vision lurking in my garage somewhere – don’t suppose I’ll ever use use them again. Although in 20 years when I’m trying to get the MV back to concours condition for retrobike I might regret that.

matt_outandabout

Ace 🙂

letmetalktomark

matt_outandabout – Member

Bit late to respond but yes I can confirm it does.

That was part of the reason of shortening my Reba was to reduce the AtoC for use on an older frame.

Have a word with TF though if concerned.

IIRC from conversations with them 65mm was about the minimum travel recommended – cannot remember why though 😳

The other +ve for the Rebas is that they are dual air meaning you can have a say on what sets the fork off

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Older short travel forks….’ is closed to new replies.